Cataract PSA

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks Sonny. Yes, this topic was very helpful an encouraging. :- )

Sonny Strimple likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If your experiences are anything like mine, you’ll find that your outlook will, literally, brighten.

Sonny Strimple and emitex like this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    After reading your message I made an appointment to have my eyes checked this Friday. Thank you for bringing awareness to all of us.

Sonny Strimple and emitex like this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Good on ya, mate!

Hey, it’s a small price to pay and there’s no reason to put up with cataracts if you can have them treated.

Charlie westside and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    That's great news!

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The news is even better. This morning, I put my contact lens for reading in my recently repaired eye and it works splendidly. No discomfort, no worries.

7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Synchro I am so happy for you. The hidden surprise is that with a low prescription, the contact will be lower price, shorter time for delivery, becasue it will be "open stock", and you are able to wear a contact after surgery.

One of my unfounded fears was having the surgery and still need reading glasses. I am so happy for you, thanks for sharing "your insight"...pun intended.

8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Outstanding!

Nice to be able to see all obstacles in your way

9. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Honestly even at 32 with all the long nights, the lack of eye-pro in many cases... I just need to get to an eye-doctor for my overall eye health...

I'm an idiot... I have... had... 20/10 vision which as a young man I'd decided I'd never need to this and that. Time to get in and SEE whats up.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I actually tried a contact in my left eye today, and it went well, although I did want to take it out after about four hours. Baby steps.

Sonny Strimple, mrfixitmi and MrAstro like this.
  11. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Four hours is a great start. You are going about it correctly. It took me about five days to go to a typical 12 hour period. Two weeks later I had to travel for work. After the flight was delayed one hour at a time, by the time I got home it was in for 23 hours...I had no issues. I don't recommend 23 hours for anyone, but it did happen, and I had no issues.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s amazing, the degree to which I am seeing more clearly. I’m anxious to get the other eye done.

emitex likes this.
  13. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Mom had cataracts removed and lenses installed 2 years ago. Like new eyes. She needs 1x for reading and that’s it.

emitex likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    An update:

On Tuesday last, I had my right eye done. It was a breeze, probably more so than the left eye. My recovery seems speedier too. By the next morning, I could see fine detail and had 20/25 vision. I haven’t been tested since that second day, but my impression is that I’m 20/20, both eyes. Colors are brighter and my distance vision is crisp. I use a contact in one eye for reading, but can even read without it, albeit with a bit of effort and concentration. I’m actually typing this on the iPad without any reading lens/glasses, etc. Not bad for a 64 year old set of eyes. :)

All I can say is that if any of you find yourself facing cataract surgery, do not feel daunted. It’s not much different from a trip to the dentist, and the potential payoffs are incredible.

emitex and Bertotti like this.
  15. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks for the update Synchro. :- ) Having my right eye done a month ago, my results weren't 100%, but the results were much better than not doing the surgery. I'll need my other eye done down the line, but at this time I'm 20/20 too, so MD said to wait. I only need non-prescription over-the-counter reading glasses. Glad to hear the latest from you. Super pleased all is going well. :- )

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You may find that things improve with time. Overall, my left eye is much better than pre-surgery, but there are days when it is not at its best. As the weeks have worn on, it’s gotten better overall, but it’s much improved. Pre-surgery, I was pretty much legally blind in that eye and now it’s 20/25 and occasionally 20/20 or better. I actually read 20/15 with it, three weeks ago.

Anyhow, my point is that there are variations and my left eye changes a bit. I’ve had a retinal exam and the health of the eye is excellent, healthy intraocular pressures, etc. but it’s not quite as good as the right eye.

emitex likes this.
  17. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Last December I suddenly could not read well with my right eye. After reading this thread I was concerned. I had also noticed that my distance vision had changed in both eyes. A trip to the eye doctor provided mental relief. My visual acuity changed. Left eye distance a little worse, right eye distance 20/20 at the cost of poorer close-up vision. Now (thanks to Zenni Optical) I have new distance glasses and new reading glasses and a clean-bill of (eye) health! I've also been using the reading glasses to play guitar.

audept and emitex like this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It's been 4+ months since I had my left eye done and 3+ months since the right. It's been great.

Sabato likes this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My wife had cataract surgery yesterday. Everything went well.

Sabato likes this.
  20. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I speculated that I had macular degeneration, but the Doc assured me not, to my great relief.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice