Cataract PSA

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The healing rate for this is astonishing. 13 hours ago, my left eye was blind; I could discern only colors and amorphous shapes. A few minutes after that, I was tested at 20/80. At this point, my left eye is almost up to the standards of my 20/20 right eye. I’d say 20/30 with no conscious effort on my part. No discomfort at this point, not even a bit. This morning, my eye had some red in it, now it’s pretty much normal. I’m using reading glasses to see the iPad in a low light environment, but I could make out the print on the iPad without them if I really needed to.

My right eye has a nascent cataract forming and slightly yellows the white background on the iPad. It’s subtle, but noticeable. Print seems a little bit bigger to my left eye than to my right. I’m not forming any hard and fast impressions as of yet, there’s still post surgical swelling at play. If it comtinues to improve I would bet that by this time tomorrow it will seem completely normal. It’s a quantum improvement over the cloudy, blurry mess I had 13 hours ago.

Just for the heck of it, I’ll type this paragraph with just my left eye. So far so good, if I insulted anyone in this paragraph, it was inadvertent. :) OK, here goes, no reading glasses, just my “new” left eye.

The difference in how white looks between the surgery eye and the one that still has a cataract is dramatic. It’s sort of sepia with my right eye and much whiter with the left.

More to come.

Great comment, my friend.

Merc, Bertotti, Alberta_Slim and 3 others like this.
  2. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Very encouraging Synchro. Great to hear. Keep the updates coming! :- )

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Glad to hear things are going well.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Friends of mine are twins. The both had theirs done in the last year. One went fine, the other sister is having big problems and may be going blind. I need to find out which type of correction they went for etc.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sounds like it's going well. I have had floaters in my left eye since before kindergarten. I hope that doesn't mean I will have cataracts someday but as I understand it it is pretty common. Did you notice floaters in your eye before you got cataracts?

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If she's going blind, it's probably more than cataract surgery at play. If the surgery went badly, they could redo it. Sounds like retina problems to me, maybe glaucoma.
    I had a very small problem with floaters, but that was after an injury, about 3 years ago. The best thing to prevent cataracts is UV protection.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida

I’ve had floaters for years. I know one of the causes can be if you get hit hard in the head. That likely explains mine.

I had no idea UV caused cataracts. Might be too late but I guess I’d better start wearing sunglasses. Thanks.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’d always wondered if you’d been hit in the head. :) I kid, I kid. (I couldn’t let that opportunity go by without a response.) Actually, I did suffer a blow to the head, just before the my left eye started changing. I was in a bicycle accident and landed on my cheekbone. My helmet was not even scratched, but my face looked even worse than it usually does. :) Shortly thereafter, I had to have a laser repair to my left retina, then my vision changed, which turned out to be the developing cataract affecting my refraction.

UV is thought to be another cause. My right eye, which was apparently not injured in the accident mentioned above, has a cataract as well, but it’s not as bad as the left eye. If I look at a pure white surface with one eye at a time, there is a slight sepia tone to what I see with my right eye. Nothing drastic, but noticeable.

There is still a degree of swelling in my left eye, which should go down soon. My rate of improvement yesterday was staggering. I went from literally unable to see any print on the eye chart to about 20/40 in a few minutes. Today, I’m at about 20/25 in my left eye. But there are still signs of swelling and inflammation, which will heal slowly, over the course of the next few weeks.

Merc likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have fought in gyms for years so I have had some head trauma, but I was born with a bad left eye. At one time I couldn't even read the E on the chart.

Well, it sounds like this was a big plus of a procedure for you. Did they do anything else while they were working on that eye? My wife had the procedure to help her see better but she had these crazy goggles on for a week or two. I don't know how you all sit still while someone is poking around in your eye. Just the thought of it makes my eyes start to water and blink like mad! Odd since I have set my own broken bones and splinted them up before going to the doctor.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    All they did was remove the cataract and implant the new lens.

They have you under conscious sedation when they are working, Versed and a tiny amount of Fentanyl. I was aware of what was going on, but had no sensation of pain whatsoever. At one point, they asked my to look into a pinpoint of light, some sort of laser. A few seconds later, they were helping me sit up, they taped a protective patch over my eye and I was in the car being driven home, just a few minutes later.

Bertotti and emitex like this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    "What Are the Risks of Cataract Surgery? All surgery entails risk. Fortunately, with favorable outcomes at approximately 98%, cataract surgery is highly successful.There is still potential for serious complications, however, some of which can result in pain, permanent loss of vision, or even loss of the eye."

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yow!

13. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Had my right eye done today. Seems promising but being cautiously optimistic. Nice to not see halo's around outdoor lights at night again. Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and experience. Hope continued improvement for you Synchro.

Merc and Sonny Strimple like this.
  14. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    There is always risk to ANY surgery. If you had laser, or Radial K to correct vision, be sure to let the surgeon know.
    I understand your anxiety, and don't want to undermine or understate your concern, because it is real and was a real fear for me too.
    What pushed me over the edge was failing the glare test, surgery is a risk, but so is dying in a car accident when you shouldn't be behind the wheel because you can't see. When I told my wife, that I would rather risk dying in a car accident than going blind due to a failed surgery. She told me "if you are lucky you will die, more than likely you will be resuscitated, and live like a vegetable, or turn some innocent bystander into a vegetable". After that, I scheduled the surgery, and had both eyes corrected within 10 days. I don't know why I waited so long, and yes I was considered a high risk candidate. To think that I posed a threat to myself and others while driving still upsets me today. Life is full risks, and also rewards....praying that you make the right decision, and if you do decide, I will pray for successful results.

Sonny Strimple, Merc and swivel like this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I haven't posted since Friday, mostly because I've been having such a great time with my newfound, improved vision. Saturday morning seemed to be the point where things got better in a big hurry. As of then, my distance vision had cleared, tremendously. Now, I see better than I have in over 20 years, from my left eye.

I'm sure it'll be great. Congrats. Remember your eye drops, they are your best friend.
    Interesting. I had glare issues as well. I think that the success rate of cataract surgery is sufficiently good to make the choice fairly obvious. Indeed, ALL surgeries have risk, but the odds are strongly in your favor, for cataract surgery.

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Just to update: Today I had most of the restrictions lifted. I mowed the yard, lifted over ten pounds, all the stuff I’d been unable to do post surgery. The repaired eye continues to impress.

17. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Great update Synchro! Glad to hear. :- ) I just returned from my first post-surgery follow-up appointment and scored 20/20. That was pleasantly unexpected! Hope you'll give us another update on your progress. Thanks.

mrfixitmi and Sonny Strimple like this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Congrats. It took me a few day to hit 20/20, but it happened. My vision, and my outlook, have improved noticeably.

19. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Congrats to you both! Sounds like you're both doing great!

mrfixitmi and emitex like this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks, Sonny.

Sonny Strimple likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice