Catalinbread quality/issues?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I tried the Catalinbread Bell Epoch Deluxe last year but put it off on buying. Part of my bucket list this year is to pick one up along with an Adineko because I’m a big delay junky at times.

Getting to the point, has anyone run into quality issues with buying Catalinbread pedals recently ? I’m curious before I decide to lay down cash on pedals this year. Even if I’m not crazy giving her any money as I smell a stinker on her end. I’d really like to pick up those two pedals. And buying used makes it’s hard for me to date if it’s pre-fallout from below.

It’s old news that I recently read that has me hesitant. Apparently the owner died a few years ago of a freak accident when a tree fell on him. His mother took control of Catalinbread and apparently there was an issue causing the four main people to leave, including Howard Gee who was a main driving force and developer. She’s now taken them to and are in the midst of court. Her conspiracy set aside I’ve read of quality issues recently and apparently the warranty has changed or ceased.

2. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    I own a Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra and have had zero problems with it. Going on 2 years now.

Merc likes this.
  3. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I own a bunch of Catalinbread pedals, including the Belle Epoch Deluxe. Never had any problem.

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I know the crew resigned mid October 2017. @Wozob is your BE Deluxe prior?

I read on a few forums about some pedals breaking since then. The below screenshot is of a few reviews of the BE Deluxe which I wonder if the defective and the separate noise is related to the quality issues. Unless it’s not valid and made up by haters. But it’s from verified purchasers. Do you find your pedal excessively noisy?

71C435D3-41A6-499E-8693-277C94F39E32.png

5. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I read that as Caitlinbread and just wasn't going to go there

6. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I bought it in October 2017 so it was made before that. It is a bit noisy though on higher delay levels, as the review says. Don’t forget that the preamp is exactly like the original EP3. If you don’t want that, get a regular Belle Epoch. A bit darker, less pronounced sound, but dead quiet. I think I like it a tad more than the Deluxe.
    I always enjoyed Howard’s videos.
    I hadn’t heard about Catalinbread quality issues after 2017 until now. Not sure what to think about that.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Merc like this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I watched a video where they where called (by themselves) Cattle Inbred.

8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @Wozob I don’t know about this Cattle Inbred thing but that’s correct in the pronunciation. Do you think that was the intent as I’ve heard so many people hack up the name?

The noise thing of an old circuit thing reminds me of the Dunlop JHF1 Hendrix Fuzz Face I had. It was supposed to be a faithful recreation. So faithful I was picking up some Mexican or Hispanic radio station on it here in Florida. It caused me to sell it. A little noise I can take. A radio station I could not.

This is reference I pulled from another Forum as far as the lawsuits if anyone in interested.

FULL PROCEDURAL HISTORY:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25869811/Catalinbread_LLC_v_Gee_et_al

COMPLAINT:

https://www.scribd.com/document/391311374/Catalinbread-LLC-vs-Gee-et-al

MOTION TO DISMISS (thank you to @a person ):

https://www.scribd.com/document/399495803/Catalinbread-LLC-vs-Gee-Motion-to-Dismiss

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Wozob and Ricochet like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Maybe buy second hand? I like my Valcoder pedal quite a lot. A bit tricky to get right settings as it has a massive sweep in throb and depth. And it's an excellent boost with enough hair to be an overdrive

Sid Nitzerglobin and Merc like this.
  10. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have the DLS (purchased new) and the WIIO (purchased used). I think I’ve had both since around 2015. They’re both quiet on my board (I dislike noisy pedals to a high degree - if I can’t fix them for cheap they get chucked out).

I’d say save some money and buy used from a reputable seller if you’re more concerned with recent quality issues in the new ones than the likelihood that a used one was abused by the previous owner. My used WIIO sounds great, but I didn’t find out until later that one of the enclosure screws was way over-tightened by some heavy-handed prior user and will eventually need to be drilled out.

Merc likes this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My SFT has always served me well

Merc likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... gear is gear ( think about it )

Merc likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It is. Aside from if it may or may not be a quality issue, it’ll be interesting to see what Catalinbread puts out in the future. They’ve made some great pedals but it’s an entirely different creative design team. And in the meantime Howard and the others are likely in limbo from designing (at least publicly) as their passion is until this thing is through. Likely dealing with big legal fees too. I can only imagine what her son would be thinking right now regardless of what happened or how it went down.

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cattle inbred? We just call that a humburger.

pmac11, ishtar, Wozob and 1 other person like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Well I just rolled the dice on a new Adineko off the Verb for what used ones are going for. Hopefully not a bad omen of thing to come due to the price. I’m looking forward to playing with it though.

My current pedal bucket list still has
    - Nocturne El P
    - Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz
    - Catalinbread Bell Epoch Deluxe (assuming quality control is good after more research 2019 or 2020)
    - Dry Bell Vibe Machine
    - maybe the next gen of the Atomic Brain (although my Mystery Brain is working stellar)

Will be watching how this ugly court thing plays out though. Howard’s designed some really great pedals. I hope it works out for him in the end with whatever he decides to do next.

blueruins likes this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a used Catalinbread from the desired era solve your problem? Also, check out the Lovepedal Vibronaut. I think it can be had cheaper than the Dry Bell and sounded just as good if not better in my book.

Merc likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks, I’ve been wanting this one a year now. This new in box was going for the same price as used ones and still $35 less than both the average new, and what’s it’s actually sold for new recently. So I figured why not. I’m not sure how to date these pedals other than someone’s word. And I haven’t heard of any problems with the Adineko per say so hopefully it’s a safe one. The BE Deluxe is a bit more $$ to drop though. So I’m bit leery without knowing more right now. I’m not opposed with a used one if I’m certain it’s pre. I actually buy a lot of used pedals. I view most of them sort like cars losing value just by taking them for a spin.

Thanks, I’ll check out Vibronaut as well when the time comes too.

blueruins likes this.
  19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA

Of course, this guy could step in dog poo and it would sound good, but damn!

Merc likes this.
  20. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    How about buying second hand?

Merc and blueruins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice