Cassotto tries to learn to play the guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Cassotto, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Aah, Buddy's "That'll be the Day". Fun little intro and solo part. A shame he left us so soon......he had lots more to give us, I'm sure.

Cassotto likes this.
  2. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I love those triplets, too. The version I'll try to learn hasn't got it but, as I said, it's simplified, though not completely dull.

I've always thought Chuck Berry's songs are difficult to play. I've never tried one.

3. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    1) Songs:
    'Cry for a Shadow' lead guitar. I've kept on practising the same part I already knew, and though I can say I've improved, today I played it with an amplifier for the fist time (I usually play unplugged so as not to bother anyone around), and it's been awful. All the mistakes are magnified.
    'Cry for a Shadow' rhythm guitar. No progress (no practice).
    'That's Alright Mama' lead guitar. No noticeable progress. I suppose I'm able to move between the first two chords more and more quickly, but not at the right speed yet.

2) Ear:
    'House of the Rising Sun'. I think I've identified the right chords all right (Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am, E), which was pretty straightforward, but I'm still struggling with the details. Most of the arpeggios seem to end with a G, not matter what the chord is, and though I suppose that will be an open third string, I haven't tried playing it yet (so far I've been trying to identify all the notes by just listening to the song, without the guitar - maybe not a good idea, but it looked like a good thing to do after my fingers hurt too much to carry on playing). I'm not completely sure about all the notes, since, for example, the first Am seems to go in a rush between the low E and the high E, and I don't know very well what's going on in between, but I do hope that when I have a go at it, all I'll need to do is play the strings one after the other in the same order. I intend to play the song for the first time tomorrow and see what happens.

3) Technique:
    Knowing the CAGED system exists. I'll omit this from now on, as it's too obvious and simple a thing.
    Knowing where the roots for each chord are. And maybe this, too.
    A,, E, Am full barre chords.
    Half barre E chords.
    C barre chords.
    Half barre C chords.
    Up to page 16 of Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method Vol. 1. I don't know whether this is a good book or not, but it's the one I have, and after having studied these pages I'm under the impression that I can easily find any note in the C major scale in the first four strings using the first position. I've gone very quickly at the beginning, since I can already read music fluently, so I suppose my pace will slacken off before long.

4. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    This may either help you or discourage you for "House of the Rising Sun". At least it shows you what can be done. Tommy's amazing! I have a couple of his courses.

Cassotto likes this.
  5. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I'll keep this for later on, hoping it won't discourage me! I'll also check this guy's other stuff. Since I'm working on 'House of the Rising Sun' as training for my ears, I don't want to make use of help from videos (or other sources) until I'm deadlocked.

6. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    1) Songs:
    'Cry for a Shadow' lead guitar. Getting better all the time, though I still struggle a bit with the bendings between 0:37 and 0:39 (which involve a gap of two frets -instead of one- between the index and the fingers bending the string).
    'Cry for a Shadow' rhythm guitar. Working on the third chord. Apart from a hammer-on which I can't get quite right, the main problem is that it's one of those chords I can't play well yet. That is, a half-barre E chord so as to make it G. I can play the barre G chord without much problem, but not the half-barre chord involving only four strings.
    'That's Alright Mama' lead guitar. I can see how this is also improving. But the two half-barre chords are still clumsy, and I cannot make up my mind yet whether I should play them with my thumb over the fretboard so as to mute the two lower strings or not. My index feels better when doing it that way, but that's about the only thing that feels good about it all.

2) Ear:
    'House of the Rising Sun'. I'm rather happy about how this is going on, considering my little experience on playing by ear. Playing all those G notes at the end of each arpeggio is not as difficult as I thought it'd be. Anyway, I need to work more on this, since I make lots of mistakes when trying to play the root of each arpeggio, often playing the wrong string. And I've still got to figure out some small details.

3) Technique:
    A, E, Am full barre chords.
    Half barre E chords. Maybe I should concentrate on this chord as, little as I'm doing, I already need it for all three songs I'm working on! (Well, maybe for 'House of the Rising Sun' I might use a full-barre chord, but I think a half-barre chord is played in all videos I've checked).
    C barre chords.
    Half barre C chords
    Up to page 24 of Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method Vol. 1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice