Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Case question

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Flouswa, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

My recently acquired 5120 came with a case, but it's not a Gretsch case, it's just a standard acoustic case. It fits nicely in it, but I'm concerned about the fact that it might put strain on the neck since a hollowbody isn't the same thickness as an acoustic. Am I right in my thinking?

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, you want the neck joint to be well supported in a perfect world.

This can usually be addressed w/ a bit of foam or a towel/t-shirt under the neck joint, but it usually feels better to me if the case has the right support built in if you can manage it.

It's probably not a huge worry if it's not encountering hazard pay conditions regularly though as long as you've got positive lock on the neck when the case is closed and the case hugs the bouts nicely... it seems like a bigger concern if you're taking it cross country in the back of a van/truck semi-regularly or checking it for flights.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Flouswa likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    FYI - I had a SKB Case for my 5120 . No issues ( sorry , don't recall model )

4. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

Thanks guys for the info! I will probably order the Gretsch case for it in the coming months, I doubt it's going to spend much time in the case in the near future (imagine that!). It works out great because I was short a hard case for an acoustic and was going to buy one of those before this all transpired. I'll just buy one for the new guitar instead!

thunder58 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I've been suing a generic TKL case for ten years with my 5127.... Haven't noticed anything untoward going on with my guitar. Only thing that bums me out is that it's flat on the top... I kinda like the little arch on my Jet's case.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You'll pay a few extra bucks just to have the word " Gretsch " on a guitar case . if it's not going to spend much time in the case , shop around ... Sometimes Guitar Center does sell used cases or look at the cases at Slick Guitars ( www.guitarfetish.com )

Flouswa likes this.
  7. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

I will check that out. I'm not in a rush, just so I have something before winter sets in for humidification purposes. I spent last winter rotating guitars out of the one case I had, it was a pain.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I got the actual Gretsch Case from Guitar Center/Musicians Friend for $120.00. It fits my 5420 very snugly and is a well built case sourced from TKL. (I guess they have gone up $10.00 since I bought mine)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...y-flat-economy-case?rNtt=gretsch case&index=6

Flouswa and thunder58 like this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I originally bought the economy (flat top) Gretsch case for my 5120. When I bought my 5420, I got the deluxe (arched top) Gretsch case. Yes, they're a little more expensive, but they both are well built, very solid cases.

Flouswa likes this.
  10. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

I'm thinking the arch top myself, it's only a $10 price difference at Sweetwater. From everything I've read, it's a better made case and a better fit overall.

11. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

Thanks for the info, you've answered another question I had. I bought a Gretsch case for my 2655T from Sam Ash and I had a feeling that it was a TKL case, it's very well made. I'm wondering if perhaps TKL makes the cases for GC for their RoadRunner line as well, they are nearly identical in construction.

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yes, for just a little more money, the archtop case gives slightly more protection from something hitting the top. Not that I think I'll ever have that problem, but you can never know for sure.

Flouswa likes this.
  13. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Apparently TKL makes cases under their brand name, for Gretsch, for Ibanez, and probably others. I bought the TKL case from GC that is sized for Ibanez hollowbodies for my 5420. Same sturdy construction, same plush gray lining, same latches, etc., but doesn’t say”Gretsch” or “Ibanez” - and it was about $40 less expensive. I don’t need to advertise.

14. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    BTW - mine is the flat case, but the arched top.

Also - my experience with the GC and RoadRunner etc. cases is that they are Chinese knockoffs and not the same quality as TKL (I own 3 TKL’s and they were made in Canada). One of my cases has the Epiphone “E” logo but the TKL logo is inside.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Flouswa likes this.
  15. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

Is this the one? I agree with you, I'd rather it said nothing at all whenever possible. Fortunately the higher end Gretsch one has just a small logo near the handle instead of the big one on the side.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/TKL/Artcore-Guitar-Case-for-Ibanez-AF75.gc

16. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    That looks like the same one. Measure your guitar and compare to the specs to be sure. Looks like GC may still have a 15% off (or similar) deal going on. Give them a call.

Flouswa likes this.
  17. Flouswa

Flouswa Gretschie

This brings up an interesting point--I hadn't looked before, but I looked in my Gretsch branded case for my 2655T to see where it was made and it has a "Made In China" tag in it. It wasn't the deluxe model, I'd be curious to know what the tags say on the ones with the burgundy lining in them. Mine is a flat top with the grey lining.