Cars you grew up with as a kid but too young to drive .

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Those deluxe phaetons are a rare and spendy model. Your nephew has good taste. Yeah, a Model A requires all five senses to drive, and modern traffic can terrify you. Beautiful cars, though.

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    thunder58 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's your next car buddy ;)

TSims1 likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Some very cool cars here guys!:cool:

Dad never bought a new car in his life,nor i for that matter,here is what he owned ,all used;
    50's Ford Anglia
    60's Mini
    Late 60's Skoda Rapid
    Early 70's Morris 1100
    73/74 Vauxhall Viva
    Mid 70's VW Passat,this was terrible,it got written off,i still have the badge that was on the front!
    70's Peugeot 204,well i think it was ,it was small .
    Late 70's Vauxhall Chevette ,this was also terrible.
    70's Ford Cortina ,the body was rotten and the insurance company wouldn't insure it,so off it went to the scrapheap,but he got a few quid for the engine as it was a Capri Gold Seal or something.
    Early 80's Mini Metro
    Mid 80's Maestro ,this got stolen and burnt out,he got half of what he paid for it,he owned it for 6 or 7 weeks.
    Edit;I forgot his last car,1989 VW Polo,i ended up with this wee car,and it was brill,slow,but brill.

I had zero interest in any of these cars,cause all i wanted was a General Lee ,or Starsky's Grand Troino,Jonathan Hart's Dino,Magnums 308GTB,The Bandit's Trans Am,Miura SV's,2.8 Capri's ,Fiat x19's,V8/V12 Jaguar's ,Rover SD1 V8's,V8 Triumph Stag's,DeLorean's..
    The Lamborghini Countach LP400/400S/500/5000QV is what i dreamed of and had all over my bedroom walls.

During the late 80's/early 90's i got really into 50's American stuff but never owned any,couldn't afford them ,and had no garage even if i could.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  5. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Oh, this looks like the Volkswagen model that was called Golf over here... One of those models that have gone through several reincarnations along the years. I've always wondered why they carry on using the same name when the car no longer resembles its original version. Anyway, this photo is what will always come to my mind when thinking of a Golf. I had never seen an orange one, though.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  6. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Another car I've always wished I had was a SEAT 600. As with the 1500 model I mentioned in an earlier post, this was a copy of an Italian Fiat car.

[​IMG]

The parents of a friend of mine had one in this shade of blue (though theirs was a later model with the door handles in the other side of the door). It was a tiny car, but somehow they managed to carry five or six children at the back and between the two of them.

Favourites of mine when I was a child were these two:

Renault 4 (already mentioned):

[​IMG]

One of the most common variations was the 4L, which people called "cuatro latas" ("four junks").

And the other car I loved was the Citroën 2CV, though I'd only accept it in one of these three colours;:

[​IMG]
    (If I'm not wrong, this -resembling a trainer- was only made in Spain to commemorate the 1982 soccer world championship.)

[​IMG]

And my favourite:

[​IMG]

I don't know whether it was the same for all models, but the one I used to ride in -a friend's- was hell if you had to sit in the centre of the back seat. The seat felt as if it were a long piece of cloth hung between two iron bars at the ends, with an extra bar in the centre. Sitting on top of this narrow bar meant you felt every little irregularity in the road, and I remember walking funnily for a while after a ride there.

7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    My first car was a Model A 5 window. The chassis /running gear had been derusted and painted. But there was no wiring and the fenders were in the trunk and cab. I got it wired up and enough stuff done to drive it. Not for long though. I learned a ton from doing it though.

I traded cars like guitars during my young years:
    Model A
    Hillman Minx Convert
    54 Ford mainline with 312 TBird engine
    58 Ford Interceptor Police Special
    55 Chevy Convert 265
    57 Pontiac 2DHT Starchief Salmon/Grey
    55 Chevy Nomad 301 V8 2 x 4bbl 4 speed
    57 Chevy 4 dr Hardtop 283
    57 Chevy Station Wagon 283
    60 Triumph TR3A
    63 Olds F85 turbo aluminum V8
    and more....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Merc, Zeek, thunder58 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A guy several years older than me had a job at a gas station. He would close up at 9 p.m. and drove by my house on his way home at a pretty good clip. 1968 Roadrunner 383 like this photo:
    [​IMG]

Zeek, thunder58 and stevo like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Would you believe I was offered the exact one(same colour too) with 2 broken axles for 200 bucks....and I declined?

10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    In Canada they had a lot of cars that were the same as various American models but would have French names and often wheel covers.

Parisienne, Beaumont, Frontenac, Meteor, Acadian, Fargo, Valiant, Monarch, I think LaSalle too.

And some British made Fords like the Cortina.

I remember how small this car was, it barely took up all of my friend’s driveway without hanging over. You could open the door in the driveway. The wheel covers rotted pretty fast in the salt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Merc, thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A friend had a ‘69 Roadrunner which I all but worshipped. A very cool car. 383s were a short-stroke, big bore powerhouse and with the Magnum treatment, (440 heads and a mild cam, I believe) they were astounding performers which could be had for a song.

Sabato likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm going slightly off the farm here, but this just floors me. It's the car I didn't know I wanted when I was young: 01-1937-talbot-lago-t150cs1.jpg

Sid Nitzerglobin, thunder58 and Henry like this.
  13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I’m not sure how people put giant cars in tiny garages.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Not sure what that is, but I'm guessing Bugatti. My hands-down favorite Hot Wheels car as a kid was my beloved Bugatti Type 50. Not something I grew up with in real life, but definitely a car that loomed large in my childhood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Golf in Europe, Rabbit in the US. I had alight blue '75---early enough to have a carburetor instead of fuel injection. Great little car.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's a Talbot Lago. If you do a Google search, you'll see various versions of it. Love the Bugatti.

17. afire

afire Country Gent

The residents of Madison could have heeded your advice this morning. Holy cow. I passed at least 15 derelict cars on my four mile commute to the office. Although most of them appeared to be stuck on inclines, and I suppose no amount of practice will help with that problem.

Sabato likes this.
  18. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    #1 Tires. True there's not much to be done about icing, but most winter problems come down to the tires. I put 4 snows on mt Outback every winter, which is totally unnecessary but I just like to.
    Also, one winter driving east from Hartford CT, I suddenly found myself in a black-ice situation, no traction whatsoever and I had a high-torque vehicle. Just idle along, no gas, no brakes. In a stretch of 19 miles I saw a dozen accidents including a Z-car up on the center guardrail, never could figure that one out...

19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Off-topic, but to answer @Cassotto my very first car just after I had my driving licence was a Dyane6, the "modernized" version of the 2CV:
    CAR7 640x480.jpg
    That blue color.
    Once I had my hair dyed in blonde that actually was pale yellow straw. And one pal told me that when he saw me coming on a sunny afternoon with yellow hair in the blue car, that was a great match! :)

20. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    This is a sixty-something Chevrolet pickup that belonged to my grandpa who was a farmer in the Nokomis Illinois on my mom's side. lt had a hydraulic dump the bed my dad ended up getting it, He had our name insignia painted on it and our names. We used it around our little farm for our horses. My Mom an Dad sold it. I saw it one time and tried to chase it down when I was about 19 needless to say I did not find it but all the vehicles in the entire world if I could have my choice of what I wanted it be that truck right there.
    1974 April 12 St louis Scott Jim.jpg
    The picture was taken at my Granmas house in St.Louis Mo. Here neighbor had 4 garages and rented them out, two to a doctor n his wife, They got new jags every year. I would spend the summers at Grandmas and watch them back out everyday him to work n her to golf .
    9718163-1974-jaguar-xj12-std.jpg
    So Jag is high on my list along with..
    Rockford-Files-Model-Car.jpg
    2009-06-08_214827_JimandFirebird.jpg
    gran-torino-1.jpg
    This could go on on n on lol , 1970's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, n 20's. when car were made of steel

My 1920's
    droid 310A.jpg
    and My in progress
    1563989650333.jpg

Steel cars, Have a crash and hose the dash off n sell it to someone else at 1:15

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice