Carbon Fiber Hollow Body

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rhino2104, Apr 17, 2012.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Glad you didn't go with the cat eyes.

2. Fibertone guitars

Fibertone guitars Electromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    europe

seems like i managed to achive something next to impossible - my carbon fiber archtop sound great, I guarantee you won't be able to tell a difference from a wooden one!
    http://fibertone-guitars.com
    contact me for sound samples on info@fibertone-guitars.com
    If you have a general enquiry or would like more information on Fibertone Guitars, please get in touch with me.

3. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    some of my carbon fiber archtop guitars, that were build custom.
    contact me for sound samples on info@fibertone-guitars.com
    If you have a general enquiry or would like more information on Fibertone Guitars, please get in touch with me.

Attached Files:

wildeman likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks nice, like a ES 150D.

Fibertone guitars likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Cool stuff, welcome to Gretsch Talk!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The pics look fantastic but...

Why does anyone have to contact you for sound files? Just post the files!

Since you appear fairly confident, maybe post a shootout with a quality archtop made out of traditional materials?

Oh, Welcome to Gretsch-talk! ;)

7. mhinagoya

mhinagoya Electromatic

Dec 6, 2017
    Washington State
    I have two Ovation Adamas guitars, one six and one 12. Both have carbon fiber / wood laminate tops. Charlie Kaman did this to reduce the thickness of the top, the reasoning being that the thicker the wood, the less it would vibrate. He was right. I also have two Ovation Legends, again, one six and one twelve. The Adamas is brighter (a little) and much louder.
    A lot of acoustic folk like a guitar that is somewhat boomy, rather than being jangly and/or crisp. With my guitars, the differences aren't great, but they are real and you can hear them. Personally, I prefer the tone of the Adamas, but not everyone does. It seems to be better balanced, neither overly boomy nor brittle.

Only my opinion, but it is a matter of what sounds 'right' to the listener/musician. Neither is better than the other. They are just different.

Bill.

8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I had a Composite Acoustics Cargo guitar. It sounded fine but was very neck heavy. I assume the archtop style would be more balanced.

10. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    i can't upload them because they are in wav file..
    Thank you for your warm welcome :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    my guitars are balanced and they weigh about 2.6 kg (5.73lb).

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm a big fan of RainSongs and have owned two of the JZ-1000 jazz boxes (they were flattop, not arched) and one of their early StormSongs, which was a lacquer-finished 12-string jazz box with lightning-bolt-shaped f-holes. Stellar looking but the intonation on the octave strings was a mess. The JZs weren't thin or tinny at all unless you split the coils on the EMGs, and they had a Mike Christian piezo bridge you could mix in that made it very versatile, as well as indestructible.

Now, that said, these Fibertones look absolutely killer and I'd love to try one. Welcome to the forum!

13. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    oh, found a way to change format, but then i get this message: The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension...can i get some help with uploading a demo guys? =)

14. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    lightning-bolt-shaped f-holes look nice, but im a bit afraid to try them out! :)
    Send me your email, and i'll send you a demo (i can't find a way to upload it directly).
    Thank you for the compliments!

15. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    Thank you :)

16. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    6 yr old thread, crazy.

I have an Ovation I bought new over 40 yrs ago, but my tastes changed over the years and I need to be touching wood when I handle a guitar. The guitar for me is not just an auditory experience, it is also a tactile experience.

17. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe

i think that a guitar is a very personal thing, and comparison is the thief of joy. I think that guitar just works for you or it doesn't, if you are not completely certain that it does, I've learnt that with time the thing that bothers you about the guitar is the reason you sell it in the end...

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I would be inclined to agree, if it weren't for your claim "your carbon fiber archtop sounds great", and you "guaranteeing one can't tell the difference with a wooden one".

Needless to say that gets my attention, and I'm genuinely interested in hearing a comparison.

19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes, more than a few are no longer on G-T, including archtop13 (Hyde Baker) who was a guitar builder (Blue Belly Guitars) in Vermont, sadly went out of business. He made a cool carbon fiber guitar for audept. He also made some of the ebony parts for my Blue Jr.

20. Fibertone guitars

Apr 15, 2018
    europe
    well, i don't have a wooden archtop anymore. but i can send you a demo and you be the judge of my claims ;)

i would post the demo here, but for some reason i can't upload it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018