Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Carbon Fiber Hollow Body

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rhino2104, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    That's what I'm talking about. It's a beautiful archtop, but it sounds "tinny". A Jazz guitar should have a nice natural woody sound to it. CF is very hard material. It's going to be next to impossible to get that tone out of it.

2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    See I cant say that it would sound bad. Its a fairly resonant material. It might be incredibly bright. Might be very boomy and bright.

3. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    Wow. Kinda forgot about this thread what with all of my life changes lately.

I know that they have bracing and it can greatly effect the tone. I have also heard that it can kill the tone depending on how it's done. The same goes for acoustics from what I understand. Acoustics use a lot of it for strength as well. I'm figuring that the strength of the carbon fiber would be able to negate the need for bracing as far as strength. The tone part is what I've been tossing around for a while though. I'll definitely keep everyone abreast and bounce ideas off of you as I go along.

The carbon fiber classic stringed instruments are what got me thinking down this path. It lead to me finding the acoustics which prompted me into more research of carbon fiber properties and abilities in the guitar world.

As I said before the tone part is what I've been thinking about. I think it can be done. I'll probably just have to build one and see how it comes out, get everyone's take on it, and adjust fire.

I might do it. We shall see. I'm more worried about getting a hollow body built and going from there. If someone on here has a falcon tracing and dimensions I might just go ahead and start there.

Awesome. Thanks. More reading material and research. I love me some research :D

4. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    Now here's another thing to think about when it comes to this potential build; do I go with a removable neck like the carbon fiber ES-355 or do I make the entire back, sides, and neck in to a single piece?

5. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    The mold will be a challenge, but don't under estimate the little details.

6. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Bracing is an important part of the Archtop hollow body. Sure, it can dampen tone. More importantly you should be looking at how it affects tone, if you are going down this road. If you complete a parallel bracing structure,2 ea. @ 1/2" wide from neck block to tail block in an electric guitar you are giving your pickups a nice stiff structure for receiving & transmitting string vibrations. If you then use a maple top & a spruce top on two otherwise similar instruments you get completely different results. Same goes for traditional unattached bracing in an acoustic instrument. Now if you take unattached bracing & build a box joint, making it Xbraced you get a different result all together. These are all thing you will want to understand before you build an Archtop w/o bracing. It wouldn't hurt to have an idea of how spruce is going to sound vs maple because you will then understand why carbon fiber will sound the way it does. & you will be able to predict how it will sound before you put all the effort into it.

7. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    Trust me I'm not ignoring the little details which is why I'm looking into bracing at all. From a structural stand point it won't need the bracing. I do know from a tonal stand point it will need it though. The CF ES-355 in the other build thread sounded decent and it was x-braced.

8. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    I'm not saying you will need it, CF is very strong. I'm saying you will need to compensate for it some how. I know enough about CF to understand how it's put together but not enough to actually work with it . As with a carved top, it should be graduated to allow the top to act as a speaker cone, thin in the recurve area & thick near the center. Of course, most archtops these days are plywood & don't have any graduations. A Gretsch compensates by using a thin laminated top &, from what I've seen, very heavy bracing.

9. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    It sounds we're on the same page as far as needing the bracing for tone and not strength.

I'm probably going to use bracing to compensate for it since I don't think my skill is high enough to change the thickness. We shall see though. This is still a ways off at the moment. I still think that I need more research on archtops before I go through with it. Probably work a little with some CF and I think I have some spare maple and spruce around here somewhere that I'm going to work with. I think that I'm going to start by building my mold though. Thinking I'm going to start that today. Yay for playing with MDF.

10. Trigger

Trigger Newbie

May 16, 2012
    Denver
    drmilktruck and pmac11 like this.
  11. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
  12. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    That is a thing of beauty. Do you have any sound clips of it? I'd love to hear it.

13. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    That is pretty neat! Why did you go bolt on? sound files?

14. Trigger

Trigger Newbie

May 16, 2012
    Denver
    I have been really busy with other projects so I don't have any great recordings yet. But I do have a cell-phone recorded video of my uncle putting it through the first paces. Please note that it's not fully set up yet and this was basically an initial test drive:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/108613693708967394597/posts/Str7FFwZxoQ

I went with a bolt-on neck because I'm pretty amateur at building guitars. We considered doing a carbon neck and head but it was pretty daunting. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the height and angle of the neck after the fact too. And having that all done by Warmoth meant that at least that part was 100% dialed in.

15. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    I'm also really liking the f-holes you used. They look like a modernized version for a modern material. A nice progression and evolution kind of thing.

16. And yet retro....

17. Skev

Skev Country Gent

Jul 16, 2011
    France
    The better of both world!

18. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Tough to hear the guitar well in that video

19. Trigger

Trigger Newbie

May 16, 2012
    Denver
    Thanks. I agonized over the f-holes for the entirety of the process. I went back and forth between traditional, modern, cateyes or Trini Lopez diamonds. In the end I decided to go somewhere between traditional and diamonds. Yeah, like a modern, minimal simplification of traditional form. Glad you guys agree.

Yup, that video sucks but it's all I have right now. I'll get another one when I can.