Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Carbon Fiber Hollow Body

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rhino2104, Apr 17, 2012.

1. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    I didn't know where else to put this so it ended up here.

I know that there are a few companies out there that build carbon fiber acoustics and one even did a carbon fiber electric or two if I remember correctly. However I've never seen a carbon fiber hollow body similar to a 6120 or even a 5120. Is there a reason for this? I can't imagine a good one if they built other styles.

I'm asking because I'm about to become gloriously unemployed (by choice mind you. I'm leaving the Army) and I'm going to have an abundance of time on my hands so I'm considering giving this a shot. I know it won't be easy. I also know that it's probably a hair brained idea that I could forget about in a couple of months but I doubt it because in the end I keep coming back to this idea.

If I do go through with this, and if I can convince my wife to let me (shouldn't be THAT hard haha) I'm hoping to model it after a Gretsch hollow body. We shall see though. Looking for thoughts, comments, concerns, recommendations etc. etc. etc.

2. First off, Congrats on getting out! Secondly, I have seen and heard a composite acoustic once. Didn't get the chance to play it. It had a good sound, but it didn't compare to the warmth of thee tailors and martins that were surrounding it. the guy got it for the indestructible aspect. Never warping and such. So, if thats your goal, go for it. I don't think a composite will sound like a wood hollow body, 6120, but it sure would be cool, and i wouldn't be scared to let the kids use it. Is it safe too say Welcome back?

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Composite Acoustics & Rain Song are two I know of but I think they're only steel string acoustic style except for CA did make an electric called the Blade, but there's no reason they couldn't be made in a hollow body style. There are a bunch of other small makers in a Google search, although they all appear to be solid bodies. If you can do it, experiment away, I'd love to see the results.

4. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    The sound is the only thing that I'm remotely concerned about. I've heard several videos of some of the carbon fiber acoustics and they sound great. A bit different than wood but not much. That could have been the difference in the build though since the ones that sound really different don't have internal bracing.

I do think that I can build it. Honestly the hardest part for me is going to be building the mold. From there I think it will get easier for me.

5. Along with CA and Rainsong, there is also Blackbird Guitars in the carbon fiber guitar construction business. They are making a lefty version of their Lucky 13 model for me.

http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/models.html

I had a Rainsong Dread that I loved and sold. I regret losing the guitar for it's ringing sound, though I am not fond of dreads much. The Lucky 13 is a little composite parlor-sized thing.

Still, this Blackbird reference is of no help when considering the hollow body design.

Perhaps you may want to investigate these three companies and get an idea of how they go about creating a carbon fiber instrument?....

6. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I had a few Composite Acoustics & Rain Song A/E guitars. I'M KINDA PICKY, BUT I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. I think your idea needs a bit more thought. You might even call
    Paul Reed Smith or Collins and ask for their opinion. They are pretty nice guys.
    Congrats on getting out my son will be changing MOS in Feb, but he is gettin close to his 20.

7. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    I have been doing as much research as possible the last few weeks short of getting a guitar and disecting it. I've been digging up as much info on all three companies listed as I can. CA actually has an older video series that goes over the construction of their guitars.

8. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I'm wondering if an arch top may be an issue with carbon fiber? Any carbon fiber guitars I've seen are flat tops. I've never worked with the stuff and am just guessing. Might not be an issue at all.
    Looking forward to your build thread.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There was the semi-hollow Catalyst Jakkerman, partly made of carbonfiber. The company seased to exist a couple of years ago.

10. rhino2104

rhino2104 Electromatic

Jan 25, 2011
    GA
    I might just have to try it and see how it goes. I just have to convince the wife to let me spend a few hundred dollars on parts and tools.

11. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    They build bicycles & car parts from carbon fiber, there's no reason an archtop couldn't be made from the stuff. You'ld probably have to construct a pretty accurate vacuum bag mold of some sort. I'd certainly be interested in hearing what you come up with. My reservations are this... An archtop is a very classic sounding & looking instrument, even more so in the Jazz world. Getting it to sound "woody" might be somewhat of a challenge. An archtop is a little more complex to build in some ways, than a flat top. n archtop has matched bracing that needs to be fitted, glued in & can be varied in size, spacing, angles & placement/configuration. Being carbon fiber is a very stiff/hard material, I'm imagining the reflected tones being on the bright side. You will need to find some way of combating this. The traditional archtop is made with a Spruce top which is very light in weight, relatively strong, yet soft. It's the prefect soundboard. My personal experience would tell me to built the top from spruce & the rest of the guitar from CF. If you seriously get into this project, let me know. Like I said, I'd be interested hearing about it. Or even bouncing ideas around with you. Hyde

12. damacleod

damacleod Gretschie

Jan 19, 2012
    Wirral, UK
    I'm going to have to go searching because there is a carbon fibre ES335 build thread somewhere over on TDPRI...

13. carlosggarciam

carlosggarciam Electromatic

Jan 6, 2012
    mexico
    Some years ago I had read for an acoustic guitar made from "paper" (palel mache in spanish language). It is like paper and soft glue, anyway, the results were fantastic. After a lot of reading about guitars, the soul sound are in the vibration of the material. I wish you luck and let us see (in photographs) your creation. And if any guitar has the shape of the most cool guitar in human history (6120) Go for it !!!!!!!

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Ive seen a carbon fiber cello before. But never a hollow body

15. hlarry14

hlarry14 Electromatic

Oct 7, 2009
    Colorado
  16. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    It certainly can be done. The question is how to make it sound good. If you did a 335 style guitar with a block in the center you wouldn't be relying so much on the acoustics

17. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    me thinks you need a carbon fibre falcon.

18. polishbroadcast

polishbroadcast Synchromatic

Jun 23, 2010
    Chicago
  19. damacleod

damacleod Gretschie

Jan 19, 2012
    Wirral, UK