Can women really hear the differences?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by peterjcb, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I'm sure @Armygirl will have something to say about this! My partner is not a musician and generally couldn't tell the difference between a bass and a 6 string (apart from shape) but was instantly able to tell the difference between a P Bass and a Jazz Bass sound. So yeah, it has nothing to do with gender.

Howard hughes and Flouswa like this.
  2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    You're a lucky "bastard or ass then" my friend... Pretty much why 90 percent of my relationships have ended was honesty; ironically... I mean when my ass get's big I don't ask my girlfriend how my ass looks in clothes, I fork-lift my big ass onto the treadmill until my clothes fit right again LOL.

The last time I had to ask my partner if I was pretty... I realized I had bigger problems if I needed someone else to tell me or confirm that for me.
    :p . . . Guys... I am sooooo pretty. . . lol

A lot of what the OP is addressing is our species' horrendous gender roles and gender identity problems... (We're not going there, let's not lock the thread down now!!) and the differences of what men and women expect approval and want to be noticed for... mainly due to our socio-economic circumstances and emotional based experience.

I hate dating; I don't know if there will ever come a day where I meet a woman who isn't completely convinced that they have to appeal to what one status quo or another thinks or has to say about things she probably doesn't actually care about; but just wishes things we're different... (they're out there, and their special) It's taken me a long time to realize that sometimes women approach the same existential questions logically, and get caught up in the impact of the conflict rather than the solution/conclusion.

I think men and women kinda just want the same thing but don't know how to change their associations of these gender roles, especially while some people don't even get it at all. I'm not a religious person, but it's almost like an original sin. Almost in the same way that it's easy for some people to have the "the world has gone to hell and most people are becoming criminal" some people still have to generalize "they must have to believe that because their a man/woman, and men/women must have to be like this."

We're our own worst enemy's.

LongJohn, Bertotti and Flouswa like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    can-women-really-hear-the-differences ?

Mine can, for sure, but she doesn't pay attention simply because it's my trick... But if ask her, she will give me her advice - both on look and tone - of course.

One important parameter : anything I do about guitars and/or amps must not have any financial incidence on our living. Anything she does about what she likes (and she likes numerous things) must not have financial incidence on our living. That's the "contract"... ;)

A+!

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I agree entirely. The guitar that I play is important to ME. I just don't expect it to be important to anyone else.

Also, since the original post had an element of "aren't women weird, guys, am I right?" about it, I was kind of pointing out that men are weird too.

Yukimajo and Floo like this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Telecasters sound the best? She is a smart woman, with perfect hearing....and one that I agree with 100%; Telecasters do sound the best!!!

mschafft likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @Lizardkinged I could go on for hours! But there is no doubt the thread would get locked at the minimum or deleted completely. I unwittingly started a couple of these and emailed @Synchro to find out why. Now it's all good, no slights some things just create issues. If you ever want to go on we can do so in messages.

@larryb I don't have a Tele but would like one. I still love Strats and my Penguin even the Minarick is great for what it does. The only guitar I have that I thought was the best is my Martin 000-18. I wish I could find an electric to rule them all then I wouldn't want the others!

I also think this was a kind of tongue in cheek men and women thread but the people here are good enough to have fun with it. The biggest issue for a lot of people is understanding men and women are different, that's just the way it is.

larryb likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My '72 Deluxe Tele has become my favorite guitar, even over my beloved American Standard Tele

8. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I own 4 Precisions and 1 Jazz which was a gift. I'm definitely partial to P basses myself...

9. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    I also agree with that. Maybe I'm an oddball here since my dear wife doesn't roll her eyes when I start raving about a certain guitar or amp. She just asks which song I need it for (very often that cures my lust for something new). But she did encourage me to get the 2622 and a Danelectro Big Spender.
    So the way I see it is that some people just don't care about any difference in guitars, no matter if they are female or male while others do hear a difference. I find myself wondering why some women need 50 pairs of shoes, why some men need a Porsche (stupid car, not enough room for a guitar and an amp) or whatever.
    No, it's not a gender thing, it's about what you are interested in (as others have stated before).

markeebee and Yukimajo like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Well stated. What’s important to one person may be inconsequential to another. When it comes to wives, etc. they may see music as something that takes you away from them, or a drain on household funds, and may feel a bit of animosity for those reasons. It could be as simple as disinterest. If someone came up and started discussing the fine points of bass fishing with me, I probably wouldn’t be all that interested in the long run and might even resent it if the discussion dragged on for any length of time.

Even when it comes to music and/or guitars, there are plenty of times when my eyes glaze over. There are certain aspects of it which I find tiresome, to say the least. As I said in an earlier post, people pay attention to the things that interest them. Beyond that, interest levels vary, between people. Being interested in guitars, for example, could mean very different things to different people. When I was 17, guitars, amps, etc. dominated my thoughts. 40+ years later, I’m closer to the “shut up and play” school of thought, although I can’t seem to get my fill when it comes to reverb pedals or tube amps.

(I will put on my moderator’s hat at this point, and mention that we need to be cautious with this thread. If it turns into a discussion of gender roles, it will go off the rails quickly.)

Lizardkinged likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That nails it. Some subjects cause issues and it’s always easier to put out a small fire than to put out a raging inferno.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Like a moth to flames! hahaha I don't look for trouble but I sure am good at trouble finding me. I learned that with the first couple women I dated years and years ago, which leads right into this thread. I am sure my wife could hear the difference like stated about but doesn't care enough about it to listen. She listens to way more music then I do, she virtually lives for it hours a day sitting at a computer with 80's hairbands. Something I can never understand or better worded don't care to understand. And I have my instruments. To each their own right! It is only an issue when one thinks their ways and wants are more important than the others.

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I sincerely doubt it’s a gender thing at all. It has do do with interest, or more accurately lack of interest, IMHO. The lack of interest is likely in the fine details that you and the rest of us hear, see and like so much rather than guitars and music in general.

I think one of the most interesting points in the OP is if the audience hears a difference between the guitars we play. Gotta say, for the most part in general I highly doubt it.

Floo likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That nails it, right there. I have little interest in some aspects of music, guitar playing, etc. but I’m passionate about other aspects. For example, talk to me about ‘80s Hair Metal bands and my attention span will be microseconds long, at best. OTOH, talk about the proper nomenclature for chord voicings and I’ll never get tired of the subject.

new6659 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I agree. With the occasional exception, I really don’t see any reason to change guitars frequently, on stage. At the Surf Guitar forum, there are some exceptionally detailed discussions regarding reverb and the finer points thereof, but I doubt that 2% of an audience would notice whether or not you had an actual tube reverb unit on stage or were using a pedal. Without the visual aspect of it, I doubt that even 1% of an audience would hear any difference.

Floo likes this.
  16. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    With the fact there are some great female musicians, I agree with the comments already made it’s more of a musician thing then a gender issue.

When I was in the Air Force, due to my job around electrical generators and on the flight line I had to go for annual hearing tests. When I entered I placed so low on the test it limited my job options. But... after playing guitar for a few years I scored so high they made me take it three times in a row and reset my baseline/charts. I moved up to the top category and remained so for the next 11 years until separating.

My point, we as musicians sometimes unknowing train our ears to hear more pitch nuances than a non player. That’s assuming we don’t play so loud all the time we don’t make permanent damage to our drums because the volumes at 11.

new6659 likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Lucky you're this far. Mine always says, "turn it down" to which I always reply, "I already did".

Is there a difference in all those purses or shoes? If she could hear a difference, she would have to acknowledge there's a valid reason to have so many.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I totally agree with you.....Sell everything and keep the Tele..:D

Robbie and peterjcb like this.
  20. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    ....this has turned out to be a most amusing thread....:)
    Just to clarity something, I had no intention of this being a gender based question.

Other than jamming with fellow amateurs here and there, all of whom are extremely supportive, my wife is the only other person who hears me play.
    She actually encourages me to find more appropriate players who play more of my style other than just jamming in a blues only group.
    However, she couldn't care less about differences in tones of a guitar. They all sound the same to her.
    She used to sing in a professional band back in the 60's and 80's so I know that she appreciates music.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice