Can we talk "low-tech" for a minute?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dmunson, May 11, 2019.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    At times. I’m far from being into effects, but I do have a number of reverb and delay pedals which I use because two of my favorite amps have no reverb built in.

Yesterday, we had a simplified band practice. Our drummer is away, out of town, so it was just the bassist and I, trying out some new tunes. I plugged straight into my Winfield Elizabeth, which has excellent onboard reverb. It was a nice, simple rig.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yes
    Sometimes it's just a combo of enough channel volume and master volume..

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I've wanted one for the longest, but needed to get the right guitar (53 jet) and amp ( non master vol pro reverb)
    I really cant crank it up like i'd want but I'm sure the brain will still round out my sound nicely

LivingMyDream likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, at times, a good Martin is "heavy metal" heaven. Only need for an amp is as a guitar stand.

20181211_142804.jpg

new6659, mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  5. My ideal set up would be guitar into amp. I have never been completely satisfied with that combo though. Either the amp needs to be too loud to get the sound i want, or it doesn’t have reverb built in. When I step back, it’s probably me, and not the dozen or so amps I have gone through. My 57 twin reissue needs a tweak up front to get a decent little break up at lower levels. At times i stop looking for the amp that does it all, then i start right back up again. It’s a vicious cycle. So like some here, i go acoustic most of the time.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I plug my guitar straight into the amp . . . All my pedals are in the fx loop.

Just being silly, lots of pedals and I'm too lazy to use the fx loop.

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    But i like echo...

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Cable to the amp, nothing else matters

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    It has been me, my guitar and my amp....zero pedals, zero calories....all the flavor;)

What I didn't mention was the "rip your face off" onboard drive channel with an added boost switch, for even more dirt!:cool:

Yukimajo likes this.
  10. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Gretschie

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    I mostly practice only with the guitar, rarely use an amp at home, mainly because a) it takes a while to set it all up and I don't have a lot of time left to play and b) I have three small kids sleeping upstairs:)

11. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I do that a lot, especially if my lovely wife is in the house. When she’s gone? Crank it up, baby!

TW4990 and Ricochet like this.
  12. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I am strictly a mainliner, straight into and out of the amp. But I come out of 40 years playing acoustic, so that’s a big influence on how much distortion I can handle (which is only what my amp can provide).

Great topic, BTW.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I also love my delay, wah, fuzz and univibe :)
    But we don't always need them and I also like going direct into amp sometimes.

It's also a good idea to unplug the pedal board occasionally and go direct to amp to make sure you're not getting tone suck through the pedal board :)

TSims1 likes this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Not exactly straight into the amp but only through a Hall of Fame 2 reverb. Doesn't really count as an effect (?)

15. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Direct in, most of the time. I just practice by myself and I have a few loopers, but 90% direct. I think thats my holy grail of tone, a guitar that sounds good plug direct into a good amp. Btw, I have really been enjoying the clean sound of my 5420 plugged into to Jazz Chorus.

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I can see your reasoning.

new6659 likes this.
  17. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    It depends

Other than occasional delay it's strait in with this one.
    [​IMG]

Not as versatile as the Mesa but maybe one of the best pedal platforms around.
    [​IMG]

This one's basically a pedal board in a cabinet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    G5422T and pmac11 like this.
  18. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I've got a couple of pedals- reverb and compressor- but I usually just play acoustic or electric straight into the amp. I respect all the players that can coax incredible sounds using pedals but for me, I'm still working of getting my control down and being as direct as possible seems like the most natural way to do it. I've got a great guitar and a great amp and they sound good when I practice.

19. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I just want to make it clear that I have no problem with pedals, or the folks who use them.
    When I started playing, 1958, there were no pedals around. And when the 60's started generating things like the fuzz, the echo, the wah wah, I did get into it a bit. But the reliability back then was terrible and I just refused to keep putting money into them.

G5422T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice