Can I get some commentary on Lindsey Buckingham's style?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by benjwri, Jan 13, 2020.

1. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Please please please don't argue! Just make your comment, read the others: good bad or ugly, and move on...please and thank you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

mrfixitmi and Charlie westside like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you want to play like him, study clawhammer banjo style and Jerry Reed. Buckingham's approach is somewhere in between the two.

Regardless of what I think of him as a person, I happen to like his approach to guitar very much.

3. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I play Landslide, The Chain, and Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow in my sets occasionally, I like his finger style on either acoustic or electric guitar. I thought he had a piezo pick up installed on one of his electrics, but I could be wrong about that. I am a fan of the partnerships with Nicks and Fleetwood, and he made a big contribution to that, that is the kind of group I would like to play with some day, no single front man, but a group of singers and musicians who can trade off the spotlight and blend together well, on stage at least.

I found this book in my library that has Never Going Back Again in it and I am trying to learn to play and sing that at the same time. Sounds great on a 12 string! He mixes in some standard Travis picking with some alternating thumb bass runs with finger triplets on top, not too tricky but kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head, with a repeating triplet count on the a-m-i and a repeating four count on the p, the fingers that pinch against the thumb don’t repeat until after 12 counts, if that makes sense, I still don’t quite understand it myself.

https://www.alfred.com/the-complete-idiots-guide-to-acoustic-guitar-songs/p/00-27755/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    frantic.......

benjwri likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Why would anyone argue - we don't argue here on GT :D

LB is not in my top 50 but he's obviously a very good player and I can well understand why he's loved by millions.

I heard FM recently replaced him with Mike Campbell - who is in my top 20.
    So for the 1st time I would have been tempted to go see FM just to see Mike :p

Charlie westside and benjwri like this.
  6. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I am a BIG Lindsey Buckingham fan and caught the Fleetwood Mac fever in high school with Rumours and Tusk. One reason is that I first learned to play guitar by fingerpicking (following my hero Leo Kottke) before I ever learned to use a pick. So using my bare fingers for rhythm and lead on acoustic and electric guitars came naturally. And to see that a major rock star was not using picks was a revelation.

These days I still fingerpick acoustic guitar but use hybrid picking for electric. My band plays the Fleetwood Mac song “Rhiannon” and I can do the double stop opening riff with hybrid picking then switch to alternate picking in the later solo section. We’ve also done “Dreams” and “Silver Springs” and I’ve played those with bare fingers and finger style riffs.

I’d love to try a Rick Turner guitar someday as I think it would fit my playing style but alas they aren’t that common and are expensive to boot. A Telecaster or Gretsch works well enough for me. :D

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like his bare finger playing style, but I can't handle his voice. He and Stevie sure changed Fleetwood Mac's sound. I've been a fan since the Buckingham Nicks days.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    From what I heard of him in the ‘80s I liked him a lot(different), but he’s not making the music I generally listen to, so I’m kind of in the dark where his playing is at now.

benjwri likes this.
  9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I know exactly what you mean. Have had that record since the 8th grade.

benjwri likes this.
  10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Well said, I love his "unorthodox" style, it allows him to sound different which is a good thing.

benjwri likes this.
  11. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Ive been working on Rhiannon for about it a year. Challenging (for me anyway) but very rewarding. His work (with FM, which is what I'm familiar with) has a spiritual and timeless quality that I find entrancing when one opens up to listen too it. Which is also paradoxically funny for me since I grew up on the Beatles, hard rock, and later punk, hardcore, industrial, etc.

12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think he is a total original. In every way. Love him or hate him, he is unlike any other experience. And I respect the CRAP out of that, in a world where most people try to be like someone else.

“How do you get _____’s tone?!” or “how can I sound like ______?!!!”. Once in a while you get guys like this who go “hmm......I like the sound of me......”. ;)

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Where's "Sorcerer"? There's like a half dozen different versions of it. I don't even pay attention to the lyrics much on this---they're kind of meaningless. It's the chord changes that do it for me.

Charlie westside and benjwri like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    She's pretty cool.

benjwri likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    His roots are in folk and Travis-style picking. He didn't use a pick on a lot of FM's, and his solo, recordings.

Incidentally, kudos to him for writing, producing, playing and arranging/crafting the most successful LP (at that time), Rumours. And doing it under great duress (for lack of a better word), being on the receiving end of break-up from Stevie Nicks.

Here are 1975 FM newbies, Stevie and Lindsey, doing former FM guitarist Bob Welch's, Hypnotized.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:51 AM
  16. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Yes They were more of a Blues act before He & Stevie joined Mick

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 8:57 PM
    ZackyDog and benjwri like this.
  17. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I love this live version of “Hypnotized”. I wish I could play this song with my band, but not too many people are into pre-Lindsey/Stevie Fleetwood Mac :(.

benjwri and ZackyDog like this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sorry, Frank. The next best thing (to me) is to jam along with the stereo. :)

benjwri and Frank_NH like this.
  19. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Lindsay is a great player.
    They were a blues band (sort of) until Peter green and Jeremy Spencer left. The bob welch years saw them move towards that California sound that was to bring them mega success with Stevie and Lindsay.

benjwri and mrfixitmi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice