Can anyone identify year and model of this 6120?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by lderenge, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lderenge

lderenge Newbie

Jan 14, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    It's on sale used at Guitar Center for a nice price. Also, does anyone know that is sticking out of the left f hole?

I'd appreciate any information. Thanks

upload_2019-1-14_13-49-15.png upload_2019-1-14_13-49-15.png

Attached Files:

2. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    This article provides the info you need to date Gretsch guitars based on serial number:

https://www.gretschguitars.com/support/product-dating

It’s helpful to have a little knowledge of Gretsch models and history to make sense of it all but it’s fairly self explanatory.

There’s no reliable way to date a 6120 by looking at a picture.

I suspect the think in the f-hole is a damp-it, used for humidifying the guitar, a good idea in the dry winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Looks like a nice guitar. Made in Japan, by the way, suggests it was built in the past 20-25 years, most likely after the acquisition of the company by Fender. I just bought a 6118 “Anniversary” from my local GC in NJ. Mine is a 1999 and MIJ. This was just prior to the Fender acquisition but it’s likely it was built in the same Fender Japan factory used since the buyout. The quality and workmanship of guitars made by Fender is regarded as good and consistent.

Aside from playing the guitar and deciding if you like it, it might be helpful to figure out what series it is from if applicable. Today, there are two or three different series with 6120 models. The pickups, electronics and finish (and I’m sure other factors) vary accordingly, as does the price and used market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    The ad has a link to "email store"...email them and ask for a serial number.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, lderenge!
    Welcome mat 56.jpg

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's post Fender.

Henry likes this.
  7. lderenge

lderenge Newbie

Jan 14, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the responses. I pulled the trigger since the price was reasonable and it looked to be in good shape. I thought it was post Fender based on the condition, thumbnail markers and the Bigsby. Upon zooming in, it appears to have tv Jones pickups, which could be after market. The good thing about guitar center used items is that you can return them if it’s a dud. This will be my 2nd Gretsch. I recently picked up a 6131t 62 vs from street sounds and I love it.

englishman likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The body shape gives it away as post Fender and some came stock with TV's, it will say on the label if they're stock.....6120 LTV or something.
    It is a good price for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice