Can‘t seem to find an overdrive pedal...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Stefan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Coming from the acoustic guitar and mostly just plugging straight into the pa, I am not very experienced with pedals. But for my homebuilt Tele, and my new Gretsch electromatic 12, I have been using the Seymour Duncan 805, which is basically a Tube Screamer. Can give a nice clean boost, add a little grrrrowl, or tear up the highway like a big ol’ Dinosaur. I like the 3 ch eq: bass, mid, treb controls. Yeah, the choices are endless.

I got this TS type pedal because I was not very good at tweaking my old Digitech multi-effects board, an RP-300A to get the lighter soft clipping sounds that I was looking for. My favorite factory settings on that are called TUNER and BYPASS. :). I do use it for chorus, phaser, wah, and reverb/delay, not so much for the metal stuff. Kind of a learning curve with those multi pedal units.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like similar tones as you but would not call them more sophisticated, as much as that would feed.my ego.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I think this is a pretty common DIY schematic.

Maybe the same thing?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Frank_NH likes this.
  4. NervousJohn

NervousJohn Electromatic

May 8, 2017
    U.K.
    Has anyone mentioned a Mad Professor Sweet Honey yet? I use one as an always on as it behaves like a valve amp on the cusp of breakup. Hit hard for distortion, gentle for clean.

It’s a super bit of kit.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    On my wishlist was the morning glory, the tube dreamer and the eternity. The first ones are used by Julian Lage. It‘s a bad habit to use the same stuff our heroes are playing ;)

6. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Not that you don't already have a ton of suggestions here, but you might want to try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive: Clean boost + dirt. Dial in a blend of the two to suit tastes.

I like mine a lot. Here's the factory propaganda:

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive is an overdrive pedal featuring a unique “clean” control. Its overdrive circuit provides the same tone as a vintage ‘808. Then the clean control blends back in a boosted direct signal. This restores the attack and feel which is lost in a highly compressed overdrive circuit.

The Sparkle Drive utilizes the same concept as layering two amps, one clean and the other saturated. Of course with the clean control turned down, you get a classic overdrive tone. All the way up, it provides a super transparent, 100% clean boost.

And just like every Voodoo Lab pedal effect, the Sparkle Drive features true bypass switching, a heavy duty metal switch and on/off status LED.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Really only one answer here. Screenshot_2019-09-15-05-23-48-1.png

DennisC, rockinforJesus and larryb like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Picking one is easy... I do it all the time.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I found that most stuff working well with the Tele won't with the Gretsch, both of them.

The little amplug I have at my working-place hotel ... sounds great in the Tele, sounds weird in a bad way with the Gretsch...

I just today ordered a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, as the option of mixing clean and distorted signal to me is very appealing. I did something alike using two amps, one clean and one overdriven, and it is ... something more deep, more structured than just a medium setting at the overdrive or distortion, in fact, you can turn it up to any eleven you find, and balance it out by the amp's volumes (or the mixing ratio I hope), so you still hear the instrument, although the overdrive is somewhere you usually won't. Having this in one channel just seems both cool and handy to me, so I will give it a try...

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    You beat me to it, W!
    ...and for some serious Schlock-a-billy
    :D;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    wildeman likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    What about Nocturne & Telecaster, maybe an Atomic Brain?

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The blend function of the Sparkle drive made me think of the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. It's a bit of an eccentric fet booster. My old orange version has no Tone knob and two Drive knobs, which work on different ends of the frequency spectrum. Sounds great, works with most amps and guitars. From boost to mild overdrive. It's not super transparent but sounds very natural, and is very affordable. Well was anyway.

15. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    Austin
    I've been using a clone I made of a Lumpy's Tone Shop Lemon Drop with my Electromatics and it's become my main pedal with those guitars. Soundwise, they are intended to sound like the old Vox Series 7 solid state amps, kind of that Paperback Writer sound. I really like the low-mids sound and the amount of presence the pedal adds with my guitars into my Blues Junior (I usually play the Jr. with the tone controls about halfway up). I've seen them for less than $100 on Reverb, definitely worth a look.

16. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The Sparkledrive arrived last week. I haven't tried out much until now, but what I have heard tells me it is a nice one!

I will definitely keep the Blues Driver as a regular device for the real distorted stuff, but anything below - especially low-to-medium overdriven sounds - clearly has a benefit from the option of mixing-in the clean signal! It is almost like the two-amps-stuff I sometimes did (one clean, one overdriven, either by a pedal or the amp itself). It, of course, can not be that seperated, but that's not what everyone is after anyway.

Definitely worth a try.

The four settings resemble four different versions/mods of a tube screamer, and all of them seem at least usable. The zero-position and the number 2 are my favourites from first try (and often I end up prefering these in the long run, too), everything between clean and heavily overdriven sounds well, while, of course, a hollowbody isn't what you buy for maximum gain ... when it comes to Heavy Metal, Black Sabbath is somehow the end of what I play myself (I don't really like modern metal, there's a few bands I really love, like Judas Priest for example, but that's not what I wanna play and sound like ... and let's not even talk about NuMetal - ugh ... no...).

I must admit, this is by far my most expensive overdrive/distortion pedal, and I really like the tube screamer clone made by Behringer I bought for like 25 € or so a few years ago (and this one is about 150), but this device is by far more versatile. I don't wanna sound like an ad, but - give it a try somewhere you can order with a money-back-option that is long enough for intense testing, keep it when it pleases you, send back and try another if not. Would be my advice to anyone with a similar question.

As there is a knob for gain and one for the amount of clean within the mix, there are plenty of combinations which are equally overdriven in total, but different in detail (more clean and more gain - or the other way - in all four modes), so this will keep me busy to find my sweetspots for different sonic goals with different guitars. Can't wait until I have a week off next month to try it out with the beloved Tele, the poor thing is waiting for me to return 500 miles away (I can't take her home and back every weekend, but a whole week, where I have an appointment with my pianist won't work out without a Tele, and I don'T have a 2nd one yet).

Anyway - the Sparkledrive is pretty versatile, especially by blending in clean signal the lowly-overdriven sounds may gain a little depth and structure ... a mid-overdriven signal mixed with a clean signal just is something else than a low-overdriven signal, it is ... somehow ... two-dimensional instead of one.

I can't give a warranty this will please you, but I'm sure enough to say it is a well-crafted, well--thought device with a good chance to please especially those interested in anything below maximum gain.

17. DonArcher

DonArcher Gretschie

May 29, 2014
    Ca
    I have been pretty happy with the Raijin drive by mxr. I have been using it for a couple months now, when I am actually home. However, as my taste vary from the norm, I would try it before you buy it.

18. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    You might also take a look at the Mad Professor Twimble. Very cool pedal and not too pricey.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice