Calling Vintage Experts - Custom Color Double Anniversary - value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by mikeowen17, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM.

1. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Electromatic

Wednesday
    NYC
    Hi all - first time poster here, long time poster on many other gear forums! Looking to get some expert opinions on a guitar I’ve been offered in trade - it’s a 61 Double Anniversary in White, but for the life of me I can’t find another one like it - was gretsch known to make custom colors like this? Any ideas on value - any help and thoughts on valuing this would be great!

Does it all look good or does anything look off?

27EBBE6E-19F9-47BE-AB83-81B335CA1810.jpeg 20E35386-8D25-49FB-A4AA-31DCE4E685D2.jpeg 8A0B732A-616E-4354-98D0-4E1312FAB33E.jpeg D1A7E767-CC71-4FCA-9EC2-0857DDA30BB8.jpeg

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Ooooh, my goodness. The stories it could tell.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A modded and refinished 6125 Single Anniversary? Note lack of binding, and placement of the neck pickup. Looks cool though, whatever it is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:24 AM
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks absolutely killer, refin and pickups , guard and bridge changed. I would want to see the.pickup routs to make sure they didn't cut too much out of the braces.
    That looks to be an awesome guitar none the less, still might be worth your trade.

5. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Electromatic

Wednesday
    NYC
    The guy I’m discussing with is suggesting original finish - but a custom color - I’m much more at home with Gibsons and Fenders, so trying to establish if custom color Gretschs exist

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I can 100% tell you those pickups are not stock to a '61 Annie, a '59 maybe. As far as a custom color, i guess it's not totally out of the question. @Wayne Gretschzky would be your guy to answer that. That paint does look exactly like the paint used on Falcon's and Penguin's.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:48 PM
    MotorCentaur likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Does that have a zero fret? We could also be looking at a 6119 with a second pickup mod. That would have a black guard and a single Filtertron.

8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’d love to have that. One of the coolest looking guitars ever

11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Perfectly relic'd! Love it...would have to change out the black bezels if it were mine

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    If anybody's still interested in this he appears to be talking on the other G forum.

13. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Mike has also shared this guitar on the other Gretsch forum, which I've responded to, and posted additional pix of the same guitar that I had in my records. The Bigsby dates to '60/61 so it's probably factory. The filters are not correct for that period (PAF on top of that). We need to know if there is trestle bracing inside to deem their authenticity.

wildeman likes this.
  14. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Electromatic

Wednesday
    NYC
    Thanks folks - and sorry for duplication to the extent you folks are members of both forums - trying to make sure I get as much coverage as possible while I try to figure this thing out

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    We get it, no apology necessary. I was pointing people over there because were interested. I really love that guitar and don't even care if its original fwiw. I don't know what value it's current owner is thinking but I'm a player first and foremost and even with changed pickups i wouldn't think 2k+ was out of line.
    It is your call after all and know that the @Wayne Gretschzky and kc eddy on the other forum are Ed Ball and he is the authority on these old birds imo.

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh, and welcome to the forum, Mike!
    welcome mat 111.jpg

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Wow, looks cool. Is the seller Tim Armstrong? Lol.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm not on the other forum. So, that's it? a '61 Double Annie without neck binding and a weird neck PU position?

MTurner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice