Join Gretsch-Talk Today

California Gypsy Album! Samples, Merch, T-Shirts, Swag

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Rodney Gene, May 27, 2018.

1. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thanks for the support friends!

This first release is a limited version...and the DOWNLOAD has an additional BONUS song with me and Redd.

LINK is HERE: https://rodneygene.wordpress.com/buy-music-t-shirts-merch/

1. Spanish Rum Barrel (feat. Paul Pigat 2nd guitar & Dave Leroy Biller - Steel)
    2. Nash Chic (feat. Chris Casello - End Solo )
    3. Sundown in Bordertown (feat. Adam Lopez - Cameo)
    4. Lazy Ranch Hand Serenade
    5. California Gypsy (feat. Tommy Harkenrider & Dave Leroy Biller - 2nd/3rd guitar)
    6. The Speeder (feat. Redd Volkaert - 2nd Guitar)
    7. Roses in a Boxcar
    8. Sophie's Dream (feat. T.K. Smith - 2nd Guitar, Redd Volkaert - 3rd Guitar & Dave Leroy Biller - Steel)
    9. Summertone Boogie (feat. Pat Capocci Solo)
    10. My Sunny Gal (feat. Dave Leroy Biller - End Solo)
    11. Surf Shack Blues (feat. R.J. Ronquillo - Solo)
    12. Roll Credits Cowgirl

Hot Cowboy Jazz, Rockabilly, Prog Rock, Western Swing Feat. Rodney Gene Junior, T.K. Smith, Redd Volkaert, Dave Leroy Biller, R.J Ronquillo, Pat Capocci, Tommy Harkenrider, Chris Casello, Paul Pigat and more...**

ALBUM NOTES

"On this release, as a producer, I wanted to create a unique opportunity for myself (as a guitar player, multi-instrumentalist) and a few of my professional guitar player musician friends / 'guitar geek types' to join together for a guitar-centered, genre bending album. In the grand scheme of music genres, this 'style' of 'Cowboy Jazz' , Rockabilly, Gypsy Jazz-abilly...Swing, Surf etc. really is a pretty dang small circle of players and many of them are friends of mine or players I know through close associations. The seed idea was planted late Jan 2018 at an epic guitar jam put on by Barry Grzebik and Grez guitars and hosted by my buddy Tommy Harkenrider during the Winter NAMM show in Anaheim Ca. (A jammed to capacity) Beatnik Banditio Music Emporium had some seriously inspiring moments that night! (I'd blame it on the beer but I don't drink!) I had been out in California from my home in Austin TX to play a few shows and give a clinic with Tommy and Canadian guitar ace Paul Pigat (BTW, the first hot opening riff on the record (Spanish Rum Barrel) is Paul's Grez Mockingbird). I did a set that night with Tommy H, Kip Dabbs and Brent Harding followed by performances from Kid Ramos, Paul Pigat, Mondo Cortez, R.J. Ronquillo, Alf Martinez, Ruzz Evans etc… it was hot!

I had already been gearing up to get a few of these ideas out of my producers head and onto a record. One of my favorite guitar players, T.K. Smith had sent me an original song idea to work out a month or so prior to NAMM. I was planning a visit to his place in Joshua Tree Ca. and we wanted something a bit familiar worked out we could video. It was T.K. Smith whose 'off the cuff' remark to me a few months earlier "you should release a CD of this stuff'...regarding an instrumental tune I wrote and recorded, was the initial catalyst for a soul/blues/country singer to consider putting out a guitar centered album.

T.K.'s song 'Sophie's Dream' was so cool and so unique I asked him could I produce it and put it on my record' He said...'yeah man' and then I suggested he play on it... and that basically was the start of 'California Gypsy' the album. I recruited Redd and Biller to round out the tune...it's fantastic! The 4 of us create a super mix! I reached out to 10 players (Tommy Harkenrider, Paul Pigat, Pat Capocci, Redd Volkaert, Dave Leroy Biller, T.K Smith, Adam Lopez, Chris Casello, Buzz Campbell and the always inspiring R.J. Ronquillo) all players I sincerely admire, respect, and whose playing inspires me. Most were already buds of mine. All 10 said 'yeah man' sounds cool!

It was like forming Oceans 11 to pull a job! (Volkaert was the speed man, Biller was the Steel man, Pigat was the hot Gypsy-Billy thumbpicker...Smith the old-school cowboy jazz guy etc... So...I set about writing tunes for players who I didn't have a song in mind for or one in the can already started. All in all I wrote several new original tunes for players and re-wrote/re-recorded/ re-arranged several more over a few short weeks. I produced 100's of tracks, played multiple instruments and harmonized over some the coolest playing I had heard. I sent basic roughs to everyone...everyone delivered great tracks, the best they could and I worked with what I received (Local players like Redd, Biller, Lopez etc. I recorded here at my studio) I was an audio surgeon, audio scientist, audio alchemist and everything in-between...whatever it takes to get the result I wanted as a producer! It is a super tight well produced labor of love and it sounds exceptional! It is a feel good record! I had the album mastered here in Austin Texas by legendary Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova...hot hot hot ya'll! Detailed track info...player info etc... at my artist site online!

THANK YOU for listening! I hope you enjoy as much as we enjoyed making it! RG

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Bertotti, joe007, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Awesome, just placed my order for a CD and T-shirt!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm in for a shirt and disk too.

Rodney Gene likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Looking forward to the CD!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Rodney, I just tried to pre-order the physical CD but shipping is only listed to USA. How can I order one shipped to Sydney, Australia?

Rodney Gene likes this.
  6. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thanks! Apologies, it was quick shopping page to get pre-orders out while I work on the Comemrce cart! Send me an email brother! I'll take care of you! I got a few going out to Australia - Appreciate the support! :):):)

7. brownie

brownie Synchromatic

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Sounds good to me sir.

Rodney Gene likes this.
  8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And mine is on the way to the Land Down Under!

Rodney Gene and joe007 like this.
  9. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    Ordered!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  10. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thank you Sir!

Cheers brother!

joe007 and audept like this.
  11. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    Got my CD Saturday. (Listened to the mp3s on my comp previously).
    Wow, it's just so darn good! Great job Rodney.
    This will get a lot of play and I'll be ordering a few more to send to friends.
    Keep up the amazing work.

Rodney Gene likes this.
  12. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thank you Joe! It was a fun labor of love! And it has some fun killer lines to lift! Although the album as a whole wasn't originally intended to gig, I'll definitely rock a few tunes in my live show. Appreciate the good words and support! RG

13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'm in for the download! Sounds very cool man. And your "all-star" cast is impressive!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  14. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    Just ordered. Great stuff Rodney!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  15. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Just checked the mailbox and mine is here :D
    CD, cool t-shirt, and other cool stuff!
    Thanks RG!

Rodney Gene likes this.
  16. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Eric, thanks man! Absolutley grateful! I think you are gonna dig it! It's a feel good record!

Emile! Many thanks! Appreciate that! Hey, I see ya ordered a shirt - please email your shirt size and we'll get it out in the morning for you! Cheers!!

Awww, thanks man! My complete pleasure David! Appreciate the support more than I can say!

speedicut likes this.
  17. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I just purchased the download version.:) I still love physical CDs, but realistically I listen to most things through "devices" these days--and how could I resist a bonus track? I appreciate the 16bit WAV files plus high quality MP3s, too.
    Looking forward to listening!

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Rocked it on the way to work this morning and love it! Good job man, it'll get lots of play 'round here.

19. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thank you Andy! Understand! Appreciate the support and hope you enjoy the album!

Glenn, thanks man! Really appreciate that! It's a pretty easy to listen to album! Drama - free! LOL! Cheers! RG

Andy Fortune likes this.
  20. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Gaaa Ggaaaa, Want some of these CDs quick or fast I could before they sold out !

Is there any Gretschyness inside ?? which tracks...???

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 10:20 AM