Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Cabronita Thinline with TVJ T-90s (finally did it)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by ruger9, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    1) It's a good thing this guitar has a really good (gradual taper) tone control on it, because these are bright for P-90s (just as many here told me they were.) They seem to be like a P90 with a heaping helping of Filtertron added to them.

2) Turning the tone control down a bit to cut some highs helps them get more into the Gibson P90 territory, they really need 250K pots imo. I'm not going to bother, because the tone control on this guitar is excellent, I'll just use it.

3) New strings = more jangle than usual.... I'll have a better idea what they sound like after the strings break in.

[​IMG]

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's a thing of beauty!

3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    This is gorgeous! It's only missing a Bigsby :cool:

Dave-B and TSims1 like this.
  4. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Cool guitar....but also a cool Sun Records sign! Where'd you get it? That'd be awesome in my office.

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Exactly what I was thinking!

Congrats on the new pups.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Don't think I'm not thinkin' about it... ;)

TSims1 likes this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Nashville.... I forget exactly where... Cooter's Garage maybe...

8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This one has a few more refinements....

Moved the selector switch to the upper bout
    Put a tone control where the selector switch used to be
    CTS pots and oil-and-paper caps
    Treble bleed
    Graphtech string guides
    American Standard bridge

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,got any sound clips?

10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Nah, only thing I can record with is my phone...

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Nice score, Ruger9. I would love to own a P90ies equipped guitar again myself. This one looks very lovely.

12. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That Tele is a real beauty!

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  14. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Been playing awhile today, and I think 250K pots are in order. The T-90s seem brighter than Gibson P90s to start with, then add the ash body, maple neck, and 25.5" scale.... (I was really going for more of a Les Paul Junior vibe, mahogany body, mahogany neck, RW board, 24.75" scale).... So I'll put 250Ks in it, to lower the resonant peak a bit. I want this tele to sound thicker than normal.....

It actually sounds so good now by just turning down the (500K) tone pot, that I almost don't want to bother, but it would be nice to have the base tone closer to what I'm after with all the knobs up (because I'd never use the bridge pickup with that tone knob full up.)

16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    250K pots in, that's better. With the 500K pots, it was out-tele-ing my tele for brightness!

It's still no Les Paul Jr, but it's got a very cool vibe of it's own... definitely fatter/fuller/meatier than a regular tele, but still retains string clarity... wound strings still twang but are fuller, plain strings also fuller (than regular tele). Turning down volume (I have a treble bleed) removes some of the mids for a "prettier" clean tone. I think it's going to be a fun and versatile machine.

Despite their DC resistance, they aren't any hotter than my overwound tele pickups. The 2 guitars match each other well. The T90s were a little hotter with the 500K pots, but the 250Ks evened them out (due to the reduction in highs).

And turning the tone control down a little (like to 8) still gets me closer to Gibson territory... all-in-all, I'd say a great success, looking forward to living with this one awhile and exploring all it's tonal possibilities.

17. toddfan

toddfan Gretschie

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I like it! Bet is sounds great!

18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    How's the bass response in those pickups?

19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Good bass- I don't think as much bass as a Filtertron, because I have the bass up on my amp higher than I did with the Fidelitrons... I'd say ample bass, and TIGHT. These things can definitely twang...

...altho part of that is no doubt the ash body/maple neck/25.5" scale...

However, the pole screws are a GOOD 1/8"- maybe 3/16" raised, I'm going to flatten them to the case on the bridge pickup (then raise the pickup) and see if I can get a little LESS clarity and MORE BEEF. However I LOVE the clarity on the neck pickup!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    TSims1 likes this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    A month down the line, and I'm REALLY liking these pickups. With the volume full up, tone full up (I have a no-load tone pot), they are still a TINY bit bright for me (using 250K pots), however, nothing a small twitch of either the volume or tone knob can't fix.

They clean up so well (altho I do have a treble bleed), that I can get very single-coil-tele like tones with them by simply turning the volume down a little (they are pretty hot/loud pickups; they have a bit more gain and volume than my regular tele with overwound pickups does), then open them up full for more rock tones.

What really surprises me is, thank to both TVJ's design and my treble bleed, when turned down ALOT (like to 3), they sound amazing clean.. beautiful, actually. Did not expect that from a P90. This is still with the amp set for "rock". You lose a little volume, but that works for quieter passages where you'd be turning down anyway.

I have to say, T90s in a Cabronita Thinline are a HUGE success, and I highly recommend the swap to anyone who has been tempted.

All that being said, and even tho I don't GAS to swap these pickups because I'm really loving them, ..... I WILL, in the future, get a set of T-Armonds for this guitar. Just for the experience of trying them. Maybe I'll like them even better than the T90s? Maybe not? Maybe I'll find I love the T-A neck and T90 bridge? We'll see......

Ricochet likes this.