Buzzing saddles - tune o matic

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Darren1982, May 5, 2019.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I just bought a Gotoh GB103B-T bridge from Philadelphia Luther for $32.41 including tax and shipping. Figure might as well upgrade to the Gotoh for only 32 bucks. The wax idea seems pretty cool but I am a modder at heart so it was going to happen sooner or later. :D

Jena likes this.
  2. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Ok just got the Gotoh bridge as recommended! Also got a straight bar to see what it looks like instead of the V stoptail.

With Gotoh tune o matic is it worth replacing the thumb screw parts that goes into the body of guitar? Or is it worth just keeping the originals in there for ease?

3. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I haven't had a chance to put my Gotoh bridge on yet but the new posts should fit in the original bushings. However, the new posts don't seem to fit any tighter in the new bushings which I was hoping for so I'll probably use the new posts (thumb screws) and keep the the original bushings in.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Replace them if you can, on account of better coupling with the body(the Gotoh stuff is better) but not sure if you will be able to tell the difference. Can’t hurt to try though.

5. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Ok will do!

Just seen these

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Gotoh-TI103BT-CR-p/ti103-b-t.htm

A lot more money but made from titanium. Will this better be better tone v zinc? I know a lot of tele players that swear by titanium saddles.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Titanium is tonally superior to zinc(just read up on cymbal production) so I’m inclined to say yes, but if it’s just the saddles that are made out of Titanium, differences will be minute and hard to detect for the untrained ear.

Also you have to wonder if it’s the material, or simply higher tolerances resulting from better tooling required for working with Titanium. :)

7. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Ok great so you would go for titanium rather than zinc if you had a choice?

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, after a few years of doing this I find I’m less concerned about extracting every last drop of tone out of my gear for inflated prices. It sure was fun experimenting, while the money lasted.

Really it’s your call.

9. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Hi Ricochet

Sorry for the late reply, I have been trying to get some decent photos of this in place, but my camera isn't up to the task I'm afraid.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    No problem. Maybe ask for some camera recommendations in the Barcalounge... :)

Yukimajo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice