Buying under the influence...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Rock Lajoint, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Came home from a social event last night, having had a 'drink or two'. Just before bed I got a notification that a guitar I have long been interested in had been listed on Ebay.

Not a big ticket item but I'm under serious instruction that no more stringed instruments enter the house until something similar leaves.

So, after an hour of ummming and ahhhing, I pulled the trigger on a Buy It Now option. It's a 56 Les Paul Gold Top clone from the 'Vintage' brand. I've been considering one for ages and at 150 GBP it's a price that I would regret missing.

Waking up this morning I had an 'Oh dear...' feeling. At least it was only 150 but I'm gonna get some grief when Madame Lajoint spots it.

I have a certain amount of form for this although previously it's been my 6120 DSW and Jet Firebird.

Any other late night, post beer, stable additions to tell us about??

2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Does coffee stand for influence?
    About 1 month after I bought my very first Gretsch, a spectacular orange G3140 showed up at a great price on LeShop Lyon website. I should have been able to go through that undamaged but... Twas on a Monday evening coming back from the Netherlands after a complete day of business meetings in a hotel plus having drunk much too many Nespresso coffee. Could not sleep that night, and spent the night in bed browsing with my wife's tablet, reading and learning about Korean luthiers and the Historic Series, difference between the DeArmond 2000 and 2K.... Lots of information from posts here at G-T, by the way.
    In the morning I woke up and checked my bank account and bought the guitar.

That one: Gretsch G3140 Historic Series800.jpg

(I also understand very well what you mean: my 5 slot guitar stand is full, I'm now under that same "nothing in unless something out" regime.)

larryb, Merc, CousinWarsh and 5 others like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    @audept can share his experiences related to a bottle of Pinot Noir! :D

I’ve done it myself. There should be a one time Get Out of an eBay Deal Free Card if alcohol was involved.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    audept, MTurner, dak55 and 1 other person like this.
  4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I haven't had a drink or drugs in over 40 years now. As it turns out though, I need absolutely no external stimulus to make regrettable and/or impulse guitar purchases. This local sale Deluxe Nashville Tele is REALLY testing my resolve at the moment.

00g0g_gFftJ0kIeCP_1200x900.jpg

larryb, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I've got the G3156 on my mental wish list. I'd have bought that if it pinged up at the right price.

I bought the 6120 DSW after an office Christmas lunch. I'd been tempted for a while, it had been relisted twice. My colleagues were getting sick of my dithering, one of the women, slightly worse for wine herself, said I should 'grow a pair' and pull the trigger. I did.

drmilktruck, Lionpotato and Groutsch like this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I went to a music-gear shop after a dental surgery last year (they cut off the tips of the roots of two teeth .." Wurzelspitzenresektion" in german, definitely nothing remotely enjoyable ... this hurts big time, and really sucks), and as I recognized I have an irrational feeling of fear during stuff like this (not really an actual fear - I know nothing bad will happen to me there, ... but I can't help, I just feel other things than I know, you know...) that usually turns out hurting real bad the first day, after the local anesthesia is gone, I had enlarged my portion of pain medication (that I use every day due to a chronic condition causing chronic pain) in advance and a tranquilizer to avoid developing an odontophobia. So I went there with 20 mg of Diazepam (Valium) and 80 mg of Oxycodone making my brain dance within itself ... saw the red/gold 5420 and fell in love. I already had planned buying either a 5422 or a 5420, but hadn't decided yet and didn't know that colour combination was available anywhere close.

I tried her out, played some slow and not that virtuose things, like slowly strumming an E chord again and again and again, bigsbying a bit here and there ... and thought "Damned, this guitar sounds and feels like one I'd buy and keep for the rest of my life!" - so I didn't buy her right away, I didn't have that much money with me, but an employee left a note that when one of the two red/gold ones is sold they'd call me, so I won't miss out on that.

They didn't call me, both were still there when I went there to buy her some weeks later.

Home again, I realized that maybe the medication weakened my abilities in playing, but by no means my abilities to judge an instrument - damned, she's great, great and also great. Fell, Sound, Look! - a spot-on right decision!

... of ocurse, I didn't drive myself that day...

drmilktruck, Groutsch and Floo like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Could be worse, it could be a woman.

Thank God I gave up drinking, and I'll leave it at that. Lol

calebaaron666 and DennisC like this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    HA!
    Back in my days of drinking I had the opposite problem. I was a regular at the pawn shop!

blueruins, radd and Groutsch like this.
  9. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    No, I'm cheap. Whenever I feel like I need a new guitar (actually I don't need any, but I do need one or three more) I star saving for it, maybe sell something. But I have been tempted to buy, with or without a drink... good I was able to resist :)
    A Vintage-brand Goldtop would be hard to resist though...

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Of course, everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes. I have the same guitar myself. Can't fault you for that one.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yup , I've woken up several times in the morning with $150 missing ..... but thats another story to be told :p
    Congrats on the guitar

Rock Lajoint likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sorry to be a bit of a bore but nope, never.

13. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    I’m not sure that’s something you could ever regret

MTurner likes this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Oh true! I must have read that mantra 15 times during that specific night ;)

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    Congratulations,
    Imo the vintage branded stuff is decent at a bargain price

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    A bit like Ricochet,no, i haven't ,but i don't drink much these days,not that i drunk much in the past though..

I'm too much of a procrastinator ,i've lost out on more than won, because of my dithering.:rolleyes::oops:

Did i mention i've been looking at used cars....for 5 years! :oops:

Oh,congrats on the gold top sir!

17. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Quietly swap it out with a 7 slot guitar stand and tell the wife you need to replace two guitars. :)

Groutsch likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Pinot Noir is a very efficient scapegoat for me, and not just for gear purchases! :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Most of them likely from me!

20. NWBriggs

NWBriggs Electromatic

Aug 23, 2019
    Montague, MI
    I try to make Monday nights my night to take a small break from work, guitar, wife a kid. I enjoy a couple glasses of cheap whisky and watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS and shop eBay.

I have not bought any guitars, but I have bought several very nice baseball cards. The highest dollar one being a Nolan Ryan rookie. I am now thinking about selling it to buy more guitars stuff.......maybe on Monday...... :)

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice