Buy a G6120-1959LTV or...?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by thirdwound, Feb 10, 2014.

1. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    So, I am going to buy my second Japanese Gretsch! I had a 6131MYII in the past, that I love so much and modded even more! It was killer, with LeoQuan Badass wraparound bridge, original vintage 1959 bridge Filtertron and custom made one volume pot with treble bleed. Anyway I sold it a few years ago, in order to buy something else, 'cause I am not a rich guy. Now, again, I hardly earned the money to get a new one and I have been looking to the following: G6120SLLVO and G6120-1959LTV. Which is best and why? What is the their neck shape/fatness? Is the bridge on the Chet model movable? Can anybody explain me the differencies between the G6120-1959LTV and the G6120-1959LQ at Wildwood Guitars website, apart from the pu's? Thanks guys, I need your advices.

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    The sslvo has a 9.45 finger board radius and the Chet has 12" fingerboard radius. I just took a quick look at the specs. They both have tv jones tv classics and trestle bracing. So Chet has a flatter finger board more like a Gibson the sslvo more like a fender. You can google both and see there may be some other differences

3. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    The G6120-1959LQ look like a G6120-1959LTV, but no TV Jones and with a flame maple top and back.

I owned a G6120-1959LTV for a while and it was a phenominal guitar. I only sold it because I really had an itch for a White Falcon and couldn't afford to have both.

With the -1959, you get a zero fret wich I had never had on a guitar before. I really liked it though. Action was spot on, and I never had issues with the nut that had to be addressed (binding) like I have had on most of my other guitars.

Either way you go, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

There was a post I found on the other forum that had this same question a while back:
    http://gretschpages.com/forum/moder...0-1959ltv-compared-to-g6120sslvo/20713/page1/

4. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I had a 59LTV, wasn't keen on the zero fret and skinny frets, but it still played great, and Tru Arc as standard, but I don't remember if the bridge was pinned or not. Nice c shape neck too.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, thirdwound! I have a 59LTV and I love it, the zero fret and 12" radius really work for me. Never played a SSLVO though, so I can't offer a direct comparison.

6. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    So, was it a fat neck? ...like a 59 Les Paul or a 52 telecaster?

7. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    Thank everybody for sharing...it's good to be here, and necessary too. I am collecting as much information as I can.

8. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    Hi, thanks! Is the bridge pinned or floating???

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My 59LTV has a floating bridge, I replaced the Gretsch bar bridge with a Compton Brass bridge. The neck on mine is not fat, it's more of a "C" shape.

10. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    G6120-1959LQ bracing?

Does anybody know if the G6120-1959LQ on wildwood site has the 59 trestle bracing?

11. afire

afire Country Gent

You'd probably have to ask Wildwood to be certain, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't. Personally, I'd go with one of those (assuming they have trestle bracing). The figuring looks really nice - subtle like many of the originals, not tiger flame, which just looks weird to me. And you can always upgrade to TV's later if you're not satisfied with the stock FilterTrons. And it has a plug in the neck heel, a nice nod to the originals, although I doubt it's hiding a huge sheet metal screw nowadays.

12. thirdwound

thirdwound Electromatic

Feb 10, 2014
    Italy
    ok, ok. I have a spare TV Classic bridge pu :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice