Building a Country Gent, Gents

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by guitarmaker, Jul 23, 2010.

1. beatle george

beatle george Newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    blue ridge ga
    Really Mate, Like the band that sat at their feet, "Paint It Black"! I now own a G5122, and compared to absolutely NO feedback with the two 6122's I've owned, I now have SEVERE problems ! Please don't cut em' out, I believe you'll come to regret it, (just my opinion)! Thanx again for this post and we're ALL salivating for the next update! Gb bg

2. beatle george

beatle george Newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    blue ridge ga
    Wow !! We have a LOT in common Guitarmaker ! Your hollowing out construction is JUST the way I built my 3 Ric's. The 325 had a .25 solid top and a two piece joined .25 plate for the back. The 12ver was finished natural in "Rock" Maple and Black Walnut opposed grained laminations, (I did not do the finishes on any of em'),with two .25 panels of Flamed maple inlayed into the back. Seeing you do this as well, has re-encouraged me to "Press-On". Fantastic work, the Lord certainly has blessed you my friend! Gb bg

3. telespank

telespank Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    Davidson, NC
    I'm fairly new to Gretsch-Talk and this is the first build thread I've seen. I love it - great craftsmanship. Where did you get the tops and backs?

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Did you ever finish this?

5. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    $ Guitar

I would appreciate a PM giving me a ballpark. I love what you are doing.
    I too being an old fart would prefer no mud switch. Rest when I get PM.

6. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Hi guys, unfortunately I have not finished the gent yet. My life has become filled with way too many other distractions such as a full time job and the continued planning of my wedding. When things slow down, i'll be getting back to it. I'll definitely finish posting about it too and then hopefully I'll get onto the jet I have planned.

Telespank, I got the top and back on ebay a while back. They are supposedly leftovers from the gretsch brooklyn factory.

beatle george- I would love to see your rics. Got any pics to post?

7. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you gonna play her at the wedding?

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Huge congrats guitarmaker! :D

Looking forward to seeing where this goes when you have the time to finish it off, and of course I can't wait to watch your Jet build :D

9. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Thanks! I know I lucked out. She tolerates multiple guitars in every room. Me and my guys are working out an instrumental version of "Unchained Melody" to surprise her with. So don't tell her! She doesn't even know that I'll be sneaking guitars in but I'm sure she expects nothing less!

And Thanks Tara, I'll keep you posted!

10. beatle george

beatle george Newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    blue ridge ga
    'Aye Mate, When it comes to Dumputor" "techno", I'm a "heck-no", but I'll try to get someone to help me Scan, Spam, Ramistan or whatever ya' call it and get some kinda' pics to you. I don't have the 12ver, but a good friend now owns it. He tracked it down after a couple re-sells after it financed our honeymoon. I do still have the "325" and she still knows how to "Mach-Show" !! I can't get pics to you of the 360 style 6er. Oh, if you ever consider using "Purple heart" wood, which is what that one was constructed with, (along with Rock maple) then watch out (!!) When ya rout it, should it be on the outside perifery (spelling ?), it LOVES to grab and splinter-out. But by careful planning of the routing direction (Sometimes climb-milling), it works out OK !! Thanx for your interest and GROUPS of congrat's on your upcoming wedding, maybe if ya finish up the Gent first, it could help finance your honeymoon ??? Seems to be a veritable "Plethera" of prospective owners at BGF!! (Har!). God bless, bg PS: My Gent, is now underway as well, thanx for your inspiration !

11. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    Sounds like a very lucky woman. May you have many many years of health and happiness together.

12. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Congrats man!!

Hey GM, is this the book you suggested a while back?

[​IMG]

13. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Thanks guys!
    Megabutter, Yep that's it. It should really be titled "how to build a gretsch" cause Jim's guitars are certainly similar. Nice stuff, and definitely an informative book.

14. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Ordered. Thanks GM!!!!!

15. jorics68

jorics68 Newbie

Sep 22, 2013
    Philippines
    Accurate Dimensions

Can you share accurate dimensions and measurements of your Gretsch body build for the project you are corrently doing? I need to know the body length of the country gent and also it's width... Thanks....

16. beatle geo

beatle geo Electromatic

Dec 16, 2013
    blue ridge ga
    Hey Mate, Sorry about the "report" I don't know how to "Fly" these forums!! I'm about to re-start my 6122 GENT build, and would sure love to see your build, would this be possible? Thanx, and again , sorry for my lack of TECH-NO, I'm more like "HECK-NO". I just completed my 4th "RIC" clone build of George's '63 360 in Autumn glo if you'd like to see her? Gb bg

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, Yes!

18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm afraid you're talking to someone who hasn't been seen around here since 2014.

19. beatle geo

beatle geo Electromatic

Dec 16, 2013
    blue ridge ga
    Nice work my friend. I hope that "guitarmaker" is well, and has not run-"a-muck"?? As far as showing a pic of said 360, I must again, (forever?) plead ignorance concerning the posting of pics on a forum. The only ways I have been able to kinda "master" is by phone, and by email, (prefer the latter). Also did a 360 12ver (pointed horns) in Black Walnut/Rock Maple, and a 325 in black, (of course, LOL!) in 1980. Then a 360 6st in Rock maple, and PURPLE HEART, (pointed), and if I never work with PH again, it'll be too soon, (long story)!!!! So how do I send it to you? God bless bg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice