[Build] Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Sep 19, 2010.

1. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    nice rug!

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Nice. :)

I'm not sure isolated power is worthwhile for everybody. With the pedals you're running, there shouldn't be a problem with daisy-chaining. If you're concerned about ground loops, get you a stack of patches with 90° plugs, and disconnect the ground from one end of each. Principle is that each pedal will get it's ground through the PSU, and the shielding on the cables only needs to be attached at one end. Honestly, I haven't bothered doing that to my board and it hasn't been a problem.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, I found that it wasn't difficult to build my own power supply. I've got a hefty 15VAC transformer feeding a rectifier, filter and voltage regulator, I get a dead flat 9VDC with no measurable ripple at 2A, more than enough to power everything on the floor. All in all, I'd say it cost me...maybe $40 USD.

-m

3. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Mikante: lmao! thanks! most expensive rug I've ever seen!! :D ..and I'd hate to walk on it! :eek:

mr. coffee: Cool :) I'll definitely consider giving that a try :D I haven't had any hum issues, not even with the cry baby & distortion engaged, which is when it normally rears it's ugly head worst.. I just heard people nagging & figured while I was at it I might upgrade that too & prevent any issues.

4. Barty

Barty Gretschie

Jul 28, 2010
    Sydney
    Wow! That ensemble looks great Tara - thanks for taking the trouble!

5. adkteleman

adkteleman Gretschie

Apr 23, 2010
    Alexandria Bay, NY
    Tara,
    That is one fine looking pedal board!! Well Done! You also have quite an nice array of guitars!! Bravo!
    ADK:)

6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Tara, did you suspend yourself from a cathedral ceiling to get that shot of all your gear? I have this image of you way up with a camera and a rope around your waist, while Mom is on the floor holding the rope and keeping you from crashing down on everything. :D

7. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    the one spot. all the way. no problems. 2 year owner.

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Arun! :D it was about time I bothered, the last one was seriously outdated, and I wanted to give them all a bit of a play & some TLC anyway - spring cleaning time & all!

Thanks ADKT :D

Hahahaha, not QUITE that dramatic - I was standing on the top rung of a tall steel a-frame ladder, holding my arms above my head so they were against the ceiling - that was the only way I could fit it all in. It was apparently quite a sight, mum was sitting behind her desk a few feet away giggling at me :rolleyes::D

Thanks Ed!! glad to hear the dasy-chains do still get some love, I've been using mine for 2 or 3 years without any troubles, but then I've been doing some reading recently & I've read a lot of nagging and whinging and figured it was time I coughed up for something more "professional"

9. Since you don't need 'em, I'll take any leftovers.... I initially thought your guitar arsenal was, like,.... perfect. But then, I realized there was something wrong, something too innocent from such a precocious and creative genius. Then, I plugged my laptop into a spare a/b box and ran across something more sinister, and I said, "Yes!".

And a special note of appreciation to Crooner...

Attached Files:

10. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Ahhh... The A/B box TRUTH!
    Thank you, Captain, my Captain.

There is no smiley face appropriate for what I want to express...

11. This is a huge contribution to the smiley face pantheon, and very appreciated-

Attached Files:

12. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You two crack me up :D

13. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    WUNDERBAR! very inspiring Tara! that darn Robert beat me to getting some orange 4x12's ... oh well I'm not getting a bad sound with my marshall and vox though.. looking at your setup I may have to put back in my super phaser. I'm still trying to fiddle with chain set up .. I go tuner, flanger, twin chorus and then delay .. I see a few people put chorus and flange after delay. interesting.. ohh yeah it's going to be a pedal exploring day for sure.:cool:

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Wulf! :D

Sorry to hear you missed out on that Orange stack!! :(

I love my phaser; my ODs, delay & phaser see the most love by far - the chorus & the flanger, not so much :)
    Hope you've had fun playing around with your board :D

EDIT: 6000th post! woo! hahahaha

15. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    My boss pedalboard is pooping out.. the contacts are shot. so I'm thinking of a old school coffin shaped pedal board, lined red velvet and all.. not sure what to use for a power supply. I need to power 4 boss pedals then eventually a nocturne, vox-wah and boss space echo. I know boss pedals can be touchy on what power supply's you use with them.

I wonder if there and plans for such a undertaking on the net. I'm all thumbs when it comes to projects in the garage. think of homer simpson making a birdhouse.

16. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Scary thought! Maybe the coffin shape is appropriate. :rolleyes:

Good luck. The best ideas are often your own.

17. dimszappas

dimszappas Gretschie

Feb 23, 2009
    Karditsa Greece
    Phew, that was a workout! :D:D Here's the family..

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Really NICE!!!!!!

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Eeeek! good luck indeed!

As for power supplies, I don't know what the VOX wah & space exho take, but all the others should be 9V DC with a 2.1mm inside / 5.5mm outside, tip negative / sleeve positive jacks... that's the standard, and I'm lucky all 9 of my pedals run off that :)

Thanks dimszappas :D

19. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Still very much loving my board :D

I also wanted to supply a little update on this..

I've been using these now for a couple of weeks for all the BOSS - BOSS connections (so there are 5 on the board), and it seems the way BOSS pedals are made the pedals don't even move slightly as you step on them, even if you're rough.. maybe it's because of the hard surface (the speaker cab carpet is only 2mm thick).. I'm not sure how they work with other boards / pedals, but for my situation they are PERFECT! they're working great & they've neatened the board up even more :D

Just in case anyone else was curious but hesitant..

And of course, fresh pic:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice