[Build] Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Sep 19, 2010.

1. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well, as many of you know, I'm taking another shot at building a pedalboard - this time I decided to go get all my parts beforehand so it's not so stop & start, the only thing I'm still waiting on is my black speaker carpet, which should be here Tuesday or Wednesday..

On with the show!

PARTS:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1: 900mm x 300mm x 15mm piece of ply.
    Obviously you would make yours the size you need. When at the hardware store, ask about timber off-cuts, they cost around $1-2, more often than not its MDF. I ended up using a shelf for mine as I couldn't find an off cut long enough.

2: Carpet.
    Once again, ask about offcuts. Anything really works but make sure its not too thick. I went with 4mm Speaker Cabinet Carpet - it plays nicely with the hook side of velcro.

3: Glue.
    I went with Selleys Kwik Grip..

4: Aluminium Siding.
    You can use Angled aluminium if you want it to wrap over the top of the boards, but I just wanted it as a "binding". I went with with 1.5mm X 18mm strips.

5: Handles.
    What ever you want. I went with simple satin chrome ones.

6: Screws.
    A packet of small wood screws.

7: Velcro.
    Some hook-side only velcro, to put on the bottom of your pedals

Total cost: $56.90 (the killer was the velcro, oddly enough, nearly $30)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1: Start by spreading glue over your piece of wood.

2: With an old brush or roller smear it all around, the more glue the better!

3: Turn the piece of wood over so it's lying glue-side-down on top of the carpet, find something heavy to almost 'Clamp' the timber to the carpet. The gluing takes a while, so go inside and have a beer or something.

4: Once the glue has dried, trim the carpet. Make sure you leave enough on the edge so it can fold over to the back, you can always trim excess later. Cut the corners CAREFULLY, better too much than too little.

5: Glue the edges down.

Intermission:
    When applying your metal edging, there are a few different methods.
    - You can cut each strip to fit the side perfectly, leaving a sharp edge.
    - Or you can fold the metal strip making a nice rounded edge - This is the method I use.

6: Size up & cut up the edging so that all the pieces meet in the middle of each side of the board, not at the corners.

7: Every ten or so centimeters screw in a screw until you reach the end of the first edge of the board.

8: The next step is a bit tricky, and can be frustrating - With your hands, carefully bend the strip around the corner. Make sure you place a screw either side of the bend.

9: Repeat steps 9 & 10 until the edge of the board is completely surrounded.

10: Attach your handles - mark out the points on your pedal board where the pedals will go, and pre-drill the holes so the screws fits through perfectly. Tighten them up with a screw driver.

Total Time: Approx. 1 hour.

The mockup;
    [​IMG]

An idea of how the end product will look:
    [​IMG]

Today I'll pull out the jigsaw & drill, cut my shelf down to size & drill the holes for the handles. First batch of build photos when that's done! from there we'll be waiting for the carpet to arrive, and then it should all be over & done with in an hour or so!

I'm following (and modifying / improving) the instructions from here.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    OK, done all the work I can do before the carpet gets here..

The board is cut to length, I've also drilled & countersunk the handle holes, cropped the handle screws down to the right length, and installed them to test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so we twiddle our thumbs (toes?) and wait for the speaker carpet.

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Very cool, Tara! How am I supposed to wait for the carpet to arrive? I need the next episode, NOW!:D
    This will be a great board.

4. RockingMatt

RockingMatt Country Gent

Jun 3, 2010
    Landstuhl, Germany
    Hey Tara, nice little Pedalboard ! Waitin' for further Pics.

Matt

5. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    where's the damn rug?

6. Renegade

Renegade Country Gent

Jun 21, 2009
    Seattle
    Looking good Tara.

7. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks guys :)

I know, I'm terribly impatient too, I want to do it NOW! :D
    The carpet will get here soon enough & it'll all be done by Tuesday or Wednesday night!

8. BartDude

BartDude Electromatic

Sep 2, 2010
    So Cal
    NIce! Can't wait to see the finished board. Post lots of work in progress shots.
    Curious, how easy is it too source out gear-building raw materials in Australia?

9. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I promise there'll be loads of progress shots :D

I went to one of the big-chain hardware store outlets (Bunnings Hardware) & got everything except the carpet in one place..
    Normally they even sell carpet but mine was out of anything that would've worked for this project, all I wanted was automotive carpet / speaker cab carpet. :)

Now finding actual velcro loop fabric here? that's impossible, I would have had a 2 week wait from the states & paid a fortune..
    I hear speaker cab carpet (rat fur) works just as well for defying gravity :D

10. BartDude

BartDude Electromatic

Sep 2, 2010
    So Cal
    Awesome!
    Yeah, I've heard that parts are quite hard to come by over there. And if available, they could get pretty expensive.
    I also enjoy building gear -related stuff. One I've put together a pedalboard using an old collapsible picnic table for the slats, a piece of pine lumber for the frame, some screws, glue, and vinyl that I have lying around. Turned up pretty well, if I should say so myself. Somebody actually liked it and bought it. :p Here are a couple of photos of that board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't seem to find the shots of the actual build.

Good luck with yours. I'm axcited to see the progress.

11. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Lookin' Good T!! C'mon carpet!! 3 ovr drv/dist pedals? You're a rocker for sure!! Lookin' forward to sound bites!

Bartdude, that rig looks like it probably doesn't sound very good...HA! Yeah right!! Is that a halo I see hanging over that tone center?!?!?

12. nice looking board you've got going there, T.

13. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Very nice! :D and thanks! I can't wait to finish it either!

Hahahaa yes, rock / punk rocker for sure, caught red handed :eek::cool:

Thanks Sarge! just you wait till it's done!!

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    @#$%^&!!!...

Just got an email from my speaker carpet supplier, he's out of stock of black. I'd ordered it on Saturday when I hit the hardware store, and of course, they were out of the office over the weekend.. So, back to square #1..

That leaves me with a couple of choices, and I want your opinions

A) Speaker Carpet:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270636505036&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Pros: In Australia, fast delivery, cheap, more than enough to cover the board.
    Cons: Not QUITE as sticky/durable as velcro, I'm not sure, I haven't had a chance to test it.

B) Loop Velcro / Veltex Fabric.
    http://www.levittextiles.com/veltex.html
    Pros: Possibly more durable & stickier than speaker carpet. Cool colours (though no Orange - so I think I'll still go black, my pedals are colourful enough)
    Cons: Only from the US, which means up to 2 weeks wait, also more expensive..

What would you do if you were me?

I'm franticly googling for people who have used speaker carpet for pedalboards, and they all say it works pretty well
    I just wonder if I should "settle" for it or if I should cough up more, wait longer, but get proper velcro loop fabric.

I'm siding for the speaker carpet.. I can always replace it if it wears out, and I don't plan to move pedals a lot.

Opinions?

15. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I would hit the local fabric store and see what they have.

Another trick..(I hate velcro) take the back cover off each pedal and lay it right where you want the pedal and drill a small hole through the same hole the screws use, through the board. Take a single screw from each pedal in case they differ, and buy new screws at the right length to go through the hole on the board and bottom out the same inside the pedal. I like securing mine this way. Course i built mine out of 1/8" material, you could even buy threaded rod and cut it at the right length and use nuts an washers on the back of the board through the wood and into the pedal. Then just use rubber feat on the bottom of the board to clear the little nuts.

16. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Local fabric store(s) have nothing suitable, been there, tried that on Saturday, and the local auto places want $40 for the same speaker carpet I can get off eBay for $18 shipped..

I really don't want to mount them with screws, this is by no means final, and I like the idea of being able to add/remove/replace stuff hassle free.. I want the board to outlast most of the pedals currently residing on it.

I think speaker carpet is the go, If I'm unhappy with it I'll just buy the velcro & glue it on top :D can't hurt!

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    First off, beautiful work Tara. Bravo for holding out for the speaker carpet. IMHO it's the way to go.

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Mark :D

I'm so glad to hear you support the speaker carpet route - I'm reading conflicting things online, a lot of people love it & say it's sticky enough.. others say the only thing that does the trick is real velcro loop / veltex. What's your experience?

My speaker cab supplier friend would have given me 50cm X 100cm for $5 (basically covering the shipping), he has an auto shop way out west so he carries rolls of the stuff, he just didn't have any black left so I'd need to settle for "rat fur" grey. Thankfully I found the same stuff on eBay for $18 shipped, it's registered post coming from interstate - QLD, and they say it's shipped today, so it should be here within a couple of days - I'd have taken express (overnight) if it was an option!

Not long now! back to twiddling thumbs & toes :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  19. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I've just caved & ordered 7 of these straight effects couplers, too:
    [​IMG]

I'm hiding the plastic now; I can't afford to continue these binges, even the little things start adding up!! :eek::rolleyes:

20. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Hmm.. Fence pickets got too uncomfortable to sit on? :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice