Bridge replacement for G2622T

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by vitamin_b11, Jun 9, 2018.

1. vitamin_b11

vitamin_b11 Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Calgary
    I have a G2622T with a Bigsby B70, I have been experiencing some tuning problems when I use the tremolo bar. I have tried replacing the tuners, strings and ensuring there is no stretch in the strings, using graphite on the nut and nothing seems to work! I have been thinking about changing the bridge but dont even know where to start and I was hoping to get some suggestions on something different I could try or bridge replacements.

Sorry if this has already been a Thread, new to the site!

2. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    What kind of tuning problems exactly? Is it one particular string? Are you dive-bombing with the Bigsby, or just using it gently? What gauge of strings do you use?

It's most likely to be a problem with the nut rather than with the bridge. Even though you've tried graphite, the nut slots may need to be opened out or reshaped slightly at the headstock side (to compensate for the angle between the nut & tuner - especially on the D & G strings)

section2 likes this.
  3. vitamin_b11

vitamin_b11 Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Calgary
    I am gently using the bigsby and every string except for the B and high E seems to be slightly flat! I am using 10-46 gauge. The guitar is brand new, I picked it up last month, how would you reshape the nut? I am fairly new to maintaining my own guitars!

4. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I agree that the nut is generally the first place to look when there are tuning problems. I'm reasonably handy but I hear that nut work is delicate business requiring special files, so I take my guitars to the luthier when there are nut issues. It's a quick job for someone who knows what they're doing.

Another thing to check: Bigsbys with tension rollers (B5/B50s and B7/B70s) can cause tuning issues if the string break angle is too steep. A sharp break angle will put a lot of upward pressure on the tension roller. This can cause the roller to bind, preventing the Bigsby from coming back into tune after a bend. There are a few possible fixes:

1) Disassemble the Bigsby and ensure that everything is clean and well-lubricated inside.

2) Replace the tension roller with Brick's Biggs Fix. This nifty contraption raises the tension roller to reduce the pressure on the roller, eliminating the binding issue that causes tuning problems. I haven't used it, but the idea is sound.

3) The cheap fix: try rerouting your strings overtop of the tension roller instead of under it, bypassing the tension roller entirely. I did this on my Hagstrom Super Swede, which has a Bigsby-like vibrato, and it solved my tuning problems. One caveat: you might find that without the tension roller, you don't have enough downward pressure on the strings at the bridge, in which case your strings might pop out of the saddles when you strum hard. But it's worth trying before you disassemble your Bigsby or shell out for the Brick's. I found that it worked fine on my Hagstrom, and I haven't had any issues with strings coming out of the saddles, but YMMV.

Good luck!

5. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    BTW, I'd suggest bypassing the tension roller as an experiment before you do anything else. If the tuning problems disappear, you'll know it's the string break angle and not the nut that's causing the problem. Then you can decide whether to keep bypassing the tension roller or buy a BiggsFix.

If the tuning problems persist after bypassing the tension roller, the problem is most likely with the nut, and a trip to the luthier is in order.

6. vitamin_b11

vitamin_b11 Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Calgary
    Thanks so much for the response! Gives me a great idea on what I need to look for next!

section2 likes this.
  7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, vitamin_b11 !
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

8. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Could it be that your ears are zeroing in on the nasty strings? By that, I mean, have they taken hold of that dang G-string. Which has been a constant itch for me for ages.

I've seen people on this forum kvetching about loud G strings. I'll bet that they're no louder than any other strings. It's just that by being out of tune, they draw attention to themselves.

The solution for me was to simply install heavier gauge strings. Lotta fiddling, but it's come good for me.

Of course you mentioned that your problem was with the B and E strings. I hate to say this but, guilt by association can quite often be a problem. If that dang G string is crook, it'll definitely point your ears at any neighboring strings, and, I've always found that narrow-gauge unwound strings are usually diabolical.

Try an unwound third.

Regards,

Russ

9. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    No no no. Try a wound third.

Russ

10. MrChuck

MrChuck Electromatic

Feb 10, 2018
    UK
    Hey buddy! I happened to have been in the same situation as you with my 2622T. I replaced the nut and the tuners to no avail, damn thing kept going out of tune if I so much as looked at that bigsby arm, especially my D and G strings. Finally I just strung over the top of the tension roller and VIOLA no more tuning problems. So far I haven't had a string jump out yet, but if I do I'll likely replace with a Brick'sBiggFix or try to replace the bearings in the B70 tension roller with some higher quality stuff.

11. vitamin_b11

vitamin_b11 Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Calgary
    Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for that tip! @section2 had also mentioned this being a fix, I am going to try this over the weekend and let you know if it fixes the problem. Thanks again for the help guys!

section2 likes this.