Bridge buzz

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by swivel, Dec 6, 2018.

1. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    My G3161 seems to buzz just a bit on the G string up high like 12th fret and up. The High E and B dont. They ring clean and clear.
    -I checked with my fret rocker and found just a hint of non level in two frets/places up there. I adjusted those but it's the same afterward.
    -Prior to that I took out the Nashville bridge insert and checked it out, filed etc any burrs.
    -Prior to that I checked the nut grooves (but it does it only up the neck anyway)
    -I've got something woven between the strings between bridge and tailpiece , so not that either...

Nature of the beast in a plain G on that Nashville/ AB style bridge? Been wanting a Compton or other but not much out there right now for that...
    [​IMG]

2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Not sure what's causing your buzzing, but if you're looking to replace that Nashville bridge without spending too much money, try a Guild Spec Bigsby bridge. I found one on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $11. The post spacing is 76mm, so you'd have to file down each post hole by 1mm to fit the saddle onto your bridge base, and then you might want to fill in the extra space with a bit of epoxy putty... but that's an easy job. The only other hassle would be slotting the bridge.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would try putting a small dab of clear silicone on the moving hits of the bridge to see if Incould tame the buzz. At the least you would know itnisnt coming from there. Or loosen the strings and raise the bridge till you know they aren’t hitting the frets anywhere. Keep ruling things out until you get to the spot. Are all nuts right in pots and suck? Is the Bigsby possibly buzzing? Bigsby spring, bar? Jack plate?

Do you have to hit it hard to buzz or is it all the time?

I start a check list I work down when this happens. Frustrating as hell, worse if you make it through the list and still haven’t found it.

One other thing, twice now on different brands of strings I have had a wound string start to buzz.

Good Luck!

4. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have to pick it a bit hard for it to buzz.
    I raised the bridge to no avail.
    No Bigsby on this.
    I will say, this is unplugged. I dont notice it so much plugged in. But it's just strange how it buzzes compared with the high E and B and lower strings. It's definitely a string area thing, not perpheral stuff like switches and pots etc. I was just trying to tweek a few setup things and kept coming back to this issue. ... but couldn't improve it.

Bertotti likes this.
  5. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I've been watching some alum compensated bridges on Ebay myself. It seems not fit my post spacing. My bridge base fits the body so perfectly I hate to change it out... but... My posts seem to be 2.88 spaced. .. or about 73 mm. Is that typical of most Gretsches?

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If your a bit handy take a piece of maple and make a temp bridge. Pull the adjustable off and see if the buzz is gone. No need to tweak intonation or perfect stringheight, just something t holdbthe steings with the current bridge off. If it goes away you know for sure where the issue is. Unless you have already narrowed it down to the bridge of course.

7. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I think the standard spacing is 74 mm, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they were off by a bit. If you go with a Guild Spec Bigsby saddle, you can avoid changing the bridge base by just filing down the holes in the saddle so that they'll fit the posts on your existing base. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes with a small round file.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is it a fret buzz? If so not sure how swapping bridges will help unless the G saddle is higher.

9. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, I hear you. As I mentioned originally, I thought maybe it was fret buzz... sounds a bit like it. But I checked and leveled a couple that were a touch high to no change result.
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me. Guitars do seem to be a bit that way up the neck, especially unplugged. Maybe I have just started to focus in on it. Today, I kinda hear it on most all the strings up there, but the G is the worst. I have 10-46 strings on it now too. Maybe that's just too small. o_O

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Try cranking your amp. If it is fret buzz, then the buzz should be amplified.

11. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    I agree with the previous post, anything more than minor fret buzz will be problematic amplified. Bridge buzz shouldn’t be audible through the amp, unless there’s something impinging on the string’s vibration. Some fret buzz is inevitable and tolerable up to a point, but when it’s past that point it can be tricky to resolve. Nothing worse than choking strings and drop-out when you’re trying to sound balanced and cut through on stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I had the same issue on my Streamliner. I took the saddles out and put cut down ball point pen springs either side of the saddle and replaced it. It's a fiddly job, but it's cheap and works wonders!

13. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well.... gigged with it Saturday. I've made it worse as far as playability. I think I raised the strings too high to try to correct the minimal buzz. I'd rather have the rattle!
    Anyway, I'm going to do a couple of things to the guitar this week (hopefully) check the fret level under tension and truss rod adjustment etc. Putting in one different pickup. I may bite the bullet and take it to my luthier and see what he thinks. I usually do this stuff, but use him mainly for my acoustics. I have a set of Graph Tech bridge inserts, not sure , I may put those in for giggles...