Brian Wilson: Songwriter

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Dec 1, 2018.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That wasn’t Brian. That was Dennis. He’d broken with Manson And he was horrified when he found out what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wabash slim likes this.
  2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Thank you for posting, it was a great read.
    I was never a big Beach Boys fan but I always respected Brian Wilson's abilities and some years ago realized how much of Pet Sounds I liked. Perhaps I was/am a bigger fan than I realized.

I have always liked Composers & Musicians that break the so called rules. I think at times they don't deliberately break any rules, they just don't know what the rules are and come up with something that quite simply sounds good to them. Such wonderful music.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Murray Wilson had issues of his own. He was capable of being pretty nasty, at times, and harmed his sons with abuse, but he was also a savvy manager and promoter. The biggest problem is that he interfered with the production process, even after Brian had left him in the dust (as a producer). That’s why they eventually fired him as manager.

There were both “Heroes and Villains” abundant in The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson story, and frequently one individual could find themselves in both roles simultaneously. Brian caved into drugs and, to a great degree, disengaged from the band itself. IMHO, he simply had too much demanded of himself and chose to pull out of the deal at times. It’s a sad story, but Brian Wilson has managed to forge a happy outcome.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The other villain was Elliot Landy Brian’s counsellor. A vile manipulative man who probably prevented Brian’s growth as a person and an artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Dr. Landy was quite a character. Apparently he was in conflict of interest, managing Brian's finances, possibly taking advantage of Brian financially.

The worst part, from what I can tell, is that he basically was a wannabe Rock Star and exploited his relationship with Wilson in hopes of becoming famous himself.

dlew919 likes this.