breaking newzz: EHX sues the bastages of Moorer and WINSZZZ!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was speaking more to my experience with quality of tone/sound/fx than durability.
    I’ve heard and read many times about EHX stuff failing. I’ve yet to have that experience, and I’ve used their stuff for a while. I certainly don’t doubt it to be true though.

Asian stuff can be great! Boss! Maxon! GRETSCH!
    There’s knockoffs made here in the US too, it’s not just an Asian thing.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, we all know, at least I hope we all know, that if it doesn't say Nocturne on it somewhere it has to be garbage right? bwahahahahahaa, that's my evil typed laugh.

Jockabilly likes this.
  3. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I do find it odd that we assume that China, where they are turning out talented electronics wizards at an alarming rate and have extremely low production and materials costs compared to the west, really need to make low quality product in order to compete.

You could actually look at the particular case that started this thread in another way in that it says they were producing a pedal that wasn't 'like' the EHX product, it really was identical to the EHX product. In that scenario it could be implied that Mooer deliberately got themselves caught so that the people contemplating buying their product would then believe that all, or most, of their products are not just similar to but identical to the originals. What seems like a loss for Mooer could, in reality be a publicity coup for the company.

new6659, pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If we are talking about China I would buy Joyo, oh wait I did! I actually quite like my little Joyo AtomiC. So far it has been a great little amp.

Jockabilly and pmac11 like this.
  5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a Joyo vintage drive. Sounds pretty darn good for $35. It has a more transparent quality sound than my genuine TS9 had. I don’t use it anymore though. I’d sell it if there was any resale value.
    I have a Donner tuner on my board. $12 and works great.

pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I tried and moved on from Joyos' AC Tone and British Sound. I like the American Sound tho. May keep it around.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    It's mind bending and mostly because nobody practices delayed gratification. I was guilty of not practicing this this when I didnt want to fork over $200 for a voodoolabs power supply. Bought a offshoot and the POS died in 6 months, bought a second one and it started crapping out in 4 months. The voodoolabs I did get between these two still smells like a new car and victory. I mounted it on top of my pedal board since its the most important box on the pedal board. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Robbie, calebaaron666 and pmac11 like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've read that peoples' enjoyment of wine is proportional to what they think it cost.
    I've even seen this in action, but with scotch... my Grandfathers' buddies always went for the bottle of well aged stuff, and not the bottle of inexpensive blend beside it. The gag was that Grandad had been putting the cheap stuff in the expensive bottle, and vice versa, for nearly 30 years.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Merc, Ricochet, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    FuzzRay Wolfman.jpg
    does this work? :) JK (ironically i have not had much success w this fuzz because I'm either told its misogynistic or too sinful for church.. 1. its loaned art from Vince Ray depicting a poison ivy caricature who dressed much skimpier on stage. 2. dont have an answer for the church guitarists, I have one on board, no one cares.) Maybe I should make the sexy wolfman version?

wildeman, calebaaron666 and blueruins like this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s hilarious! I’ve heard about people putting wine in a different bottle for dinner guests as well.
    In my business we have found that people will respond to the same product entirely differently based on the name alone.
    If we name it what it actually is nobody wants to buy. We call the exact same product by a trendy name and it becomes a best seller.
    Last year if you put a unicorn on anything it was instantly gone; leaving behind a small pot of gold.

pmac11 and Jockabilly like this.
  11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    How often does one use a fuzz at church?

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's a hard lesson man but most never learn it. I hear guys bitching all the time about crappy tools nowadays, sorry your 100 pc set you bought for 39.99 didn't last:rolleyes:

13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That is the coolest looking pedal in your line as far as i’m concerned, but that’s cuz Ivy is my guitar idol.
    I can’t see why a cartoon of a babe is misogynist because it was obviously drawn from a place of love & respect NOT objectification.
    As far as too sinful.... well, in an interview with Ivy in Vintage Guitar Magazine she did say she was a satanist, sooooooo there’s that..;)

TV the Wired Turtle and pmac11 like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I like Santana too Ivy!

panhead6zero and blueruins like this.
  15. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I like the Whisky tales. The funny thing is that now everyone goes for the aged single malt where originally the single malts were the starting point and the aim was for a talented blendsman to mix them to achieve the best possible flavour. Now they are seen as the pinnacle and the blends are poor relations.
    I have an autobiography in Scots Gaelic of a chap who worked in a hotel on Loch Lomond back in the 1920's and he tells in it how the owner of the hotel would buy a barrel of Whisky from the distillery and bottle it and then had three different labels he would stick on the bottles so, whether you bought the cheapest or the most expensive it was actually all the same whisky from the same barrel. There were never any complaints.

Personally I don't drink booze at all these days, never was a great fan of getting drunk, although I tried often enough as a youngster and now I just can't be bothered with the stuff.

Bertotti, blueruins and pmac11 like this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Spirit in the Sky........mandatory.

17. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A long time ago I read this fascinating book about the psychology of marketing:
    [​IMG]

blueruins and Jockabilly like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Oh well lets say its Betty Page then, she left her cheesecake world and signed up for the Billy Graham crusades as an evangelist but then went crazy and stabbed her
    boyfriend w a fork or something, had a nervous breakdown and was interned to the State wacky ward for almost 2 yrs. Just as colorful a life as Poison Ivy, just different. :) #institutionalized #allIwantedwasapepsi #youreondrugsmike
    [​IMG]

calebaaron666 likes this.
  19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welp, just goes to show ya...
    Ya fall in with the wrong crowd, and before long you’re losing yer mind and stabbing people with utensils.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I incorporate it w distortion as well, its lovely for solos. We did an older 80s tune to the cover of Concrete Blonde's "Joey" today at church and the solo there was perfect. Well...not perfect but fuzz for the solo w delay and plate verb was a perfect fit.
    Or a few weeks ago, there a 60's tune that we do just like Black Key's "tighten up" as well as using the vibe and style of Foster The People's "Pumped up Kicks".
    I use Rat fuzzstortion (ubangi) for a Zep meets Survivor (eye of the tiger) for J Cultures "mighty fortress"... it goes on and on. :) The only thing that keeps me sane is that once I month our band does a Root House night thats all bluegrass, swing, country. I live for that but the rest of the time I've got to fulfill my job description as a pop culture band leader.

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice