Bohemian Rhapsody ... thought I'd share ....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Nov 9, 2018.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well , I'm sure many of you already know I'm a BIG fan of Queen . So big that I even invited the whole band to my first wedding , formal invitation and all , back in 1987 . So I went to see the movie last weekend and I tell ya it was spot on with many things . Rami Malek brought tears to my eyes with his portrayal of Freddie Mercury as I truly believed perhaps Freddie was still alive and well , and also sang with his own voice throughout the movie . ( oh one could only dream ) . Ben Hardy ( Roger Taylor ) , Joseph Mazzello ( John Deacon ) , and Gwilym Lee ( Brian May ) were also outstanding . I only know of one other BIG fan of Queen and that's Mrs @drmilktruck . Mrs drmilktruck , here's some photos for ya .......
    My T-shirt , a photo w/ ticket in my room , albums and 45's , and 2 concert programs .
    Enjoy everyone .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    ZackyDog, benjwri, speedicut and 7 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Here's a few more ......

Attached Files:

nickurso, drmilktruck and MTurner like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Oh , and BTW ..... I was late for a friends wedding the day of Live Aid . Just had to see them on TV before I left the house ....

drmilktruck and Armygirl like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm also a big Queen fan and have played several of their songs live plus learnt some classic May solos. I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed. The actors chosen for the parts of the band were almost twins.

As for story detail accuracy I'm not sure though.
    Wikipedia tells a very different story - do you know which version is true?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_(band)

Armygirl and thunder58 like this.
  5. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I was actually writing a post on this after just seeing the movie today. You beat me to it!! I absolutely adored it. Never mind Rami Malek, I thought the actors who played Deaky and Brian May were spookily like the real thing. I couldn't believe it! Anyway, I could sit through the whole thing a dozen times.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

benjwri, pmac11, audept and 2 others like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I picked up a lot of small details in the movie from what I've read in books ( books , old school ...lol ) " were not bad for old queens " .. Freddie actually says that ( similar ) on the Live at Wembly album " i keep wanting to leave but they won't let me . Were not bad for 4 old aging queens , are we " . It was little things like that . I knew about John and electrical engineering , Roger in dental school , and Brian in astro physics . The band Smile also ... little things like that throughout the movie ... loved it

Armygirl likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Glad you enjoyed it Martine

Armygirl likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Oh and @Waxhead , Brians guitar . Although I wished they would have touched base a little more on it . Built from a mantle of an old fireplace , Brian and his father built it including the winding of the pick ups

BOBP, Waxhead and Armygirl like this.
  9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I've been looking forward to it since I saw a trailer a few months ago. Looks like it was well done.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You won't be disappointed

Tinman46, Waxhead and Armygirl like this.
  11. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Reviews in the papers have been discouraging. The promo photo of the actors 'onstage' with the Brian character playing a Les Paul make me wonder how accurate any of it is.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    i say forget the ignorant critics and promo pics.
    I never saw one Les Paul in the movie and movie critics probably never even heard of Queen (the band not Elizabeth II) :)

13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yea , reviews here in NY were the same in California I'm sure , coast to coast . These critics ... the ones who weren't even around during the Queen era ....
    I agree with @Waxhead , not one Les Paul was seen by me either ( or at least I don't recall ) But I did see Brian playing the " Red Special " ... I'll inform the critics ;)

Armygirl and Waxhead like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @Scott Fraser , hope my above post didn't come out wrong .... ( sorry if it did , no harm was meant ) What I'm trying to say is these critics probably don't know a Les Paul from from Red Special

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Waxhead and Armygirl like this.
  15. Jimi D

Jimi D Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    I saw it with my daughters today... They'd both read mixed reviews on the 'net and were wondering whether it would be worth going to but I said I'd treat them and we took the afternoon and went. All three of us loved it! The factual accuracy may not be 100% but it seems to me to capture the mood, the times, and the soul of the band. Fabulous movie. Screw the critics.

16. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I'm sure I'll enjoy it even if it isn't 100% accurate. I don't know how you could cram a story that took years in making into a 2 hour movie and get everything perfect.

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Rich - Mrs MT says thanks for thinking of her. She liked your collection of memorabilia.

As for the movie she thought Rami was amazing (except he needed colored contacts as Freddie was known for his dark brown eyes!) Also the concerts scenes were great. Less taken with the changes in the timeline.

We saw Killer Queen this weekend, a tribute band from England. The show was lots of fun, “Brian” was an amazing guitarist in his own right, not just playing note for note but adding some fills and elements in the solos that took it beyond mere simulation.
    https://www.killerqueenonline.com/

Mrs DMT is also going to see Marc Martel in concert next spring. He does a lot of the singing in the movie. https://marcmartelmusic.com/

18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm going to see this movie with Mrs Audept this month. I'm a big Queen Fan. I was the chief sound system engineer on "The Works" tour of Australia and New Zealand in April 1985. They were fantastic live, one of the best tours I ever worked on.

19. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I saw it, it’s a great movie and I’d like to see it again

Waxhead, Armygirl and thunder58 like this.
  20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Although the old oak from the mantle was used as the fingerboard, it's mostly mahogany construction. It's semi hollow with 'blockboard' (same stuff they make doors from) in the center. He was going to put an F hole in it but didn't get around to it.
    Brian did wind his own pickups but they really weren't that good so he switched to the Burn TriSonics.