Blues Jr NOS

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Jul 27, 2008.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Ok I have narrowed my search down in finding a replacement for my Blues Deluxe. I find i still go back to the Vox ac15 but the Blues Jr seems to be a Deluxe but smaller, nice cause i really loved the sound of that amp. Now for the But. I am hearing over and over about these amps melting down because they run so hot. That is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. So i have to ask is this really happing the NOS Blues jr(tweed) melting, blowing up etc? and NO my 5120 still isn't ready. REALLY REALLY pissed about this.

2. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Noelweller,
    I had an original Blues Deluxe. I giged it regularly for a year to two. Like so many other items I have had, I sold it and wished I had it back. I never had a problem with the amp. I never changed a thing on it or even replaced any tubes. I used it as my clean sound with a 2 x 10 Marshall JCM900 for my distortion. This was an awesome setup!! I sold it when the new Marshall DSL 2000s came out.:mad: They are a great sounding clean amp. Don't bother with the distortion side of the amp. Pretend it isn't there. If you push the clean side with a Tube Screamer, it gets some great Stones / classic rock sounds.

I have been using a Reverend Kingsnake for the last couple of years. I will never sell this amp. It has a switch that changes the amps voice from a Vox to a Deluxe Reverb or an old broken-in amp (LO-FI). It has a power cut that cuts it down from 60 Watts to 20 watts. It never seems to grow old sounding. You can pick these or the original Hellhound amp up for around $500 on ebay.

I find myself using the Deluxe Reverb setting for a while, then I think I grow accustomed to the sound. I will then switch to the Vox setting to get inspired again. I go back and forth. I don't use the LO-Fi setting too often. This is the only amp I own that once I set it for the evening, I never touch the dials the rest of the night (other than a change in volume). It doesn't have alot of gain in the DR setting, so you will need an overdrive for anything heavy sounding. Oh and the best thing is.........it only weighs 32lbs.

I had a couple of solder joints come loose on the tube mounts, but that is the only problem I have had.

3. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    While both of those are great suggestions i will break down why i have narrowed down between the ac15 and the NOD Blues jr.

1 - the price is just about what i want to spend.

2 - the blues jr, it seems to be a small version of my blues deluxe, I loved that amp just way too much for me.

3 - the vox has a very distinctive sound.

4 - the only and i mean only reson i have not bought a NOS tweed blues Jr is because I have heard stories of melt downs and fried amps with out modding it. I do not want to buy a amp and have to mod it. So i turned to ya'll for the Blues Jr rumors.

4. RepentOrPerish

RepentOrPerish Synchromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Over at the FDP (Fender Discussion Pages) there are about a B'Zillion threads on BJ's...I never recall anything about them melting down. I owned an NOS and I returned it....it sounded OK in the store, and I thought if I just had my guitar and time to mess with it a bit that I'd grow to love it. It was really tough to dial in, or mike without sounding overly super mosquito trebly.

I strongly recommend the Pro Jr, however...voiced for more gain..the tone is awesome, and it is extremely easy to dial in ...it sounds good anytime.

The Vox AC15 has a completely unusable reverb and you can only access the preamp tubes by removing the chassis, plus it's heavy.

Get the Pro Jr.

Some of them hiss, due to the high gain nature of the amp, but at a gig or practice you dont hear it. Alone at night in your room its noticeable a bit, but still worth the trade off, IMO.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Here's my take on it. The BJr is a great little amp right out of the box. The bias is set pretty hot and the tone stack could use some improvement but neither of these are critical. If you want to see what can be done take a look here: http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm. Bill Machrone knows his stuff and IMHO has a pretty good handle on all of it.

The only performance complaint that I had with my stock BJr was the fact that it could get a little boxy at gig volumes. The tone stack mod mentioned at Bill M's web site takes care of that and can be accomplished for a few dollars worth of parts (provided you know how to safely work on tube amps). I would venture that the tone stack mod would take about 10 minutes to perform if you know how. The bias cool-down is likewise an easy mod and quite inexpensive. Near the bottom of this page I give a brief description of my BJr and the mods I had done. http://guitars.msorensen.net/Amps.html I actually sent my chassis to Bill Machrone and had him do the work.

All of these things are IMHO, YMMV, not valid in Missouri or North Dakota.

6. 51Mike

51Mike Electromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    Webster, NY
    I've had a Bjr. for three years now and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Some people say it has a boxy sound to it but I don't notice it at all. It may be because I have mine plugged into a 2x12 fender cabinet from the mid 60s though. I've checked into the "runs Hot" thing and it may but I haven't noticed any problems coming from it. Then again, I haven't tried mine on a 4-hour gig either.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The 2x12 cab is the answer to any boxiness. The problem is that the stock tone circuit isn't an optimal match for a 1x12" speaker in such a small cabinet.

I never saw any heat problems epr se but EL-84s are known to be hot running tubes and the bias on the BJr keeps em cookin'. For a buck's worth of resistors it's not a bad fix.

Warning: Tube amps are dangerous even when unplugged. Don't attempt to work on a tube amp or aven open up the chassis unless you are properly trained and have someone else in the room to summon help in case of an accident.

8. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    I've never heard of a real meltdown either,although I do trust BillM's opinion on the bias setting being high.I keep a little fan blowing in the back of mine just for piece of mind.I think they are great amps,but I was not happy with the stock sound.I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do to achieve the right sound.Other people seem very happy with the stock one whether it be tweed or black.In hindsight,I kinda wish I would have gotten a Weber 5e3 kit or something similar,but I'll probably find the right sound with my BJ soon,as I think I'm getting close.Good luck in your decision.By the way,I've only done the twinstack mod and tried different speakers so far and just those alone can really change the sound dramatically.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Bill Machrone says that he's seen scorched circuit boards under the EL-84s so I guess there must be something to it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice