Blues heresy

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Rusty Silver, Mar 9, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I think you were probably right when you said it’s not what you’re listening for.
    It used to actually and truly confuse me to no end how someone could prefer The Rolling Stones to The Beatles. I believe that musical preferences say a lot about a persons personality and worldview.
    Many people are primarily focused on their physical being and thrill from feelings derived from various stimulations and challenges to their body. They will often prefer music that is more primal and rhythmic. Also their preference in lyrics might lean towards sexual or violent content.
    The endorphin rush they crave is what they seek to compliment with music.
    Those folks listening preference will be quite different from someone whose interests are primarily in relationships and empathy with others.
    All of the infinite shades of personality influence musical tastes.
    Then there’s the factor of projecting a persona to others that sends social signals that we think will attract what we want and protect us from what we fear.
    Musical tastes are deep stuff man.

Henry, dak55 and Alberta_Slim like this.
  2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    You've stumbled across the fact that blues... is inherently boring. There's only so much you can do when you're stuck to an 8 bar or 12 bar pattern set to repeat.

3. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Life is strange... After thir thread I asked to a friend to play together (and not only listening) some BB King songs and I immediately found a good feeling. Difficult for me to admit after this discussion I've started, but it looks for me more natural and joyful playing BBK music than I've expected (obviously with all my musical limits). Really, I've discovered great songs that I didn't know, expecially some soulful blues ballads, that I really didn't expect. Yes, it's simply that Life can still surprise me, and I really like it.

4. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Man, I LOVE it when someone opens up about these things! YES, music is FANTASTICALLY important and worth thinking about. Remember "talking about music is like dancing about architecture"? Some real bottom-feeder came up with that one...no it isn't, it's like talking about music. I guess they thought it sounded cool and mysterious to suggest that music is some 100% intuitive thing that just wells up out of the human soul with no precedents - bollocks.

Damn right it says a lot about the person, in most cases far more than the person knows themselves or would like others to know. Great post!

5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s fantastic! Great when our eyes are opened to new things, keeps life interesting doesn’t it.
    I always felt sorry for folks who don’t try new foods too...so much amazing good things to discover.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Fantastic

I have tried to copy some of BB’s slow soulful leads and even though I can of course do every note in time I just can’t express the feeling he does when he plays them. The man had magic in those slow moving finger tips.

new6659 and Rusty Silver like this.
  7. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    To me, SRV was the man when it comes to blues. Nobody could get in to a song like SRV. You could tell he was in another world when he stroked a guitar. Oh, just to be in that world for a little while.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would highly recommend the B.B. King instructional video. https://www.oldies.com/product-view/77854M.html It’s three hours of hearing B.B. talk about playing! Imagine; three hours of face to face with any notable artist. One of the best features is the fact that King was completely open and relaxed. He wasn’t “on”, in the sense of stage presence; he was relaxed and simply being himself.

I’ve read his autobiography, and the man had not one shred of pretense in his character. He spoke about his humble origins, but he never wallowed in self pity, either. He spoke frankly about his life. He was about as open and honest as anyone I’ve ever read about. No bragging, to self promotion, just a factual telling of his life.

He frequently used very simple accent notes in his later years, but the instructional video amply demonstrated that he could still solo with the best of them. In the video, he played some beautiful melodic lines that were Blusey and filled with feeling.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Totally boring:rolleyes:

:p

Rusty Silver likes this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    @Synchro

Thanks, order has been placed.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I first saw him around that time and he was awesome, stood up the whole time! It was at the Circle Star in Palo Alto with Albert King and Bobby Bland. I'll probably order a video too, thanks.
    I just looked it up and it was '91, i was 20......man that seems a long time ago.
    There's actually a bootleg of it on YouTube but it sounds horrible.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very interesting. We also cant get away from a simple fact - we like what we are familiar with. It is the familiarity itself, in many ways, because our brains physically adapt to the stimulus it receives, sort of like getting from point A to point B through a dense forest. You could use any number of paths, but once you choose one and use it a few times, you will tend to always use that path as it becomes easier and easier to wall as it is worn into the forest, less undergrowth and branches in the way. All the other paths and options are still there, but you would have to purposefully choose that other path and exert a lot more energy to go that new rout rather than the well worn one. In such a way, I think it is worth "trying " to like new music (i.e. exposing your brain to it, rather than always using the same path over an over). After all the point of music is not to get to point B, but to enjoy the hike, and the more paths you can develop, the more you can enjoy.

blueruins likes this.
  13. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I saw a video once of several good players on stage together, one of them was BB and another one of them was EC. Everyone took their turns soloing (of course). When EC tried to take more than his share, BB smacked him down- I actually chuckled.

radd and blueruins like this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    :)

15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s great!

I also love the video where he praises Derek Trucks as “perhaps the best he’s ever heard” while onstage with Derek and John Mayer. You can see Mayer’s pupils shrink to pinpoints as his jaw forces into a very strained “warm” smile...or so it seems to me:)

new6659 likes this.
  16. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Very true!

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yet it makes for a good improv platform. Without 12 bar Blues, we wouldn't have a lot of rock and roll and country and other music forms.

new6659 likes this.
  18. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Hahaha

blueruins likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    EC was very candid about how BB influenced during their time together and helped him start to use less notes but make the notes mean more.

I like them both, but I can listen to BB over and over again.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  20. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Here’s a pretty fun blues jam led by Mr Bonamassa, featuring Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Samantha Fish, Walter Trout and Jimmy Hall, MCd by Paul Shaffer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice