Blues heresy

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Rusty Silver, Mar 9, 2019.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Here's a little experiment to try in Blues Appreciation:
    1. If you don't already subscribe, open a free Pandora account.
    2. Add a "BB King radio" channel.
    3. Add a "T-Bone Walker radio" channel.
    4. Prepare to be schooled. You won't be bored.

There's WAY more to BB than "The Thrill is Gone"! And T-Bone, Magic Sam and countless others were/are amazing!

'Nuff said!

Rusty Silver likes this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It actually makes me feel better to hear how many of you aren’t into Clapton. He’s in the class of players that I respect but I’m not often moved by.
    It’s not a skin color thing cuz SRV will conjure the chicken skin every time.
    Another player I respect but don’t love is Santana. He’s got a few really good tunes but a lot of times his solos sound more weedly weedly than Yngwie J Malmsteen to me.

Alberta_Slim, Floo and Rusty Silver like this.
  3. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Possible. Any suggestion?

4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I think it's clear that this post isn't about "hate" but is about "taste". Anyway I appreciate any suggestion about BB King stuff...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Floo likes this.
  5. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Maybe. Maybe it's simply a matter of things I look for in a blues song and things I don't look for... Mannish boy, dust my broom, baby please don't go, boom boom, I'm in the mood, smokestack lightning... every song gives me energy... BB style gives me the same feeling that Jazz gives me, great music, but non that kind of energy I look for.

Alberta_Slim and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Maybe you should try B.B. King in London.

That‘s what he‘s been famous for. Maybe that‘s why B.B. called him the best blues player back in the days and preferred him over Clapton. Still he had his own style with Fleetwood Mac, and this is more „British“ to me than Gary Moore‘s Pop-Hardrock-Ballad „Still got the Blues“.

7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Blues music is hard to define, take a look at the different categories at the BMA’s

The Blues can be analyzed to death as can other musical genres, but in the end it all comes down to personal taste, what you like, what speaks to you, what puts a smile on your face, what puts a tear in your eye.

Just play your guitar and let YOUR Blues out.

8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Well as far as I'm concerned JB is Jeff Beck but that's cos I saw him in 1965 which was a long time before JoeB came along.

Same goes for 'Beck', to me Beck is Jeff Beck, not somebody who perloined his name a couple of decades later!

B. B. King? A truly exceptional one-off who, by his own admission ..."don't play no chords". But who the hell needs to play chords when you can get such an insane amount of feeling from single notes?

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Live at San Quentin"
    "Ridin' with the King" with Eric Clapton, tho I like the original song with John Hiatt better. BB and EC do it right.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I wish everyone could have seen BB King live...most amazing stage presence I ever witnessed. He would make you smile so much your face hurt.
    That vibrato is just transcendent.
    He was a gracious and kind man who had been through the worst of circumstances and managed to pull the best from it.
    He used to come into a music store I worked at in Vegas and gave everyone a smile and his time.
    The king of the blues!

wabash slim, new6659 and Lionpotato like this.
  11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I was on the road, BB was on the road. We were in the same truck stop at the same time. My partner and I interrupted his lunch to tell him how much I enjoyed his work. He invited us to join him and we did. We spent a hour in his company and he was amazing. He was smart, funny and very genuine. Damn, he even bought lunch. That hour was a landmark event in my life and I feel blessed.

He plays a pretty mean guitar too. Like Slim said, he can say more in one note than most players can in a thousand.

Robbie, radd, blueruins and 4 others like this.
  12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Different strokes for different folks.

I graduated from high school with Muddy's youngest son, Joe, and that was the year Muddy died.

I was only at that school for senior year and wasn't really in Joe's crowd but my friends told me going to Joe's house always had a chance of meeting celebrities. Members of The Rolling Stones were frequently mentioned, lol.

I also hadn't discovered Blues yet...been making up for it ever since.

13. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    They could be the best in the world in that genre but that style just grates on me. I despise 99% of rap and put the slap and tap below it, lol.

But as I said before, different strokes for different folks. Once in a while my brain has to remind me "Shhhh, let people like things."

blueruins likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Dining with the King. Awesome!

Tony65x55 and blueruins like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He did an instructional video some years back and he was playing some complicated material. He may have settled in the Blues, but he had obviously studied Charlie Christian’s work closely.

16. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Alright...we have a winner!
    We were behind BB’s tour bus one night on the way home from California. Just for grins we tried to stay behind him...bus must’ve been doing steady 95mph all the way to Vegas, we finally gave up.

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've seen him four or five times and loved it all but the coolest thing was seeing him in Stockton on his last tour, my wife had never seen him and he was great. He was kinda out of it at times but he would play a bit and tell some stories and converse with the crowd, very cool for a 90 year old man to even be out there, they had to come get him off the stage because he didn't wanna leave.

new6659, blueruins and radd like this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    One thing that makes BB great, singing. I love guitar but I can’t listen to nothing but guitar. I need great guitar to showcase a voice like BB has. He just has a quality in those vocals that just blends so effortlessly with the notes on his guitar. EC also has that ability, but BB was a master at it.

EC also has song writing in his bag of tricks; good vocals, good guitar and good writing, the trifecta.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  19. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Just my 2 cents, but I don't get "trying" to like something that you don't like. There is so much great music out there, if you don't like something, move on. I can't think of any artist that I like all of their material. I love some Clapton, hate some of it. I love some of B.B., Albert and Freddie King, don't like some of it.

Also, you can always come back to it. I studied jazz bass in college. Used to hate Jaco, then I couldn't get enough, now I like him. I'll listen to Muddy Waters all day one day and maybe old George Benson another. There's too much music to waste time on any I don't like.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  20. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Yes, just curious to know if I miss some good music, not listening the right album ...

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice