Blues heresy

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Rusty Silver, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, JB himself (currently) usually cites Paul Kossoff, Rory Gallagher, and Clapton in his "british blues" sound/influences... but yeah, he totally sounds like that late "blues phase" GM.

Ricochet and Floo like this.
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    If they are not against us they are for us. Hate on rap....not on EC, GM, or JB...and especially BB. These are guys who love a music genre and do/did their best to honor it. Guitar, amp, tubes, and a cord. Hate on digital fake music created by computers. Not on something real created by a real instrument with strings...even if it’s not necessarily your favorite. My kids love modern rap....not a real instrument to be found...everything is created by a processor. Only the vocals are authentic which isn’t my cup of tea. Anyone playing a real instrument with a modicum of skill shouldn’t be blasted. It’s a dying art.

3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Noooooooo!!!!!!! Not BB. Nothing like going to watch BB in person. Iconic.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I love hard rock but not all hard rock bands.
    It should be very rare that someone likes all artists of a genre.

5. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    No hate or disrespect, just no love for some artists playing blues.
    I like to eat, but I don't eat everything.

Alberta_Slim and loudnlousy like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    After gigs, BB King would spend a couple of hours, sitting in his tour bus, hanging with fans, signing autographs (Gibson and Epi guitars only). He was all about his fans.

Joe B is a guitar nerd. His Dad was a collector, and he grew up doing it as well. He does have a love for the instrument, and really knows the histories and gear well. Give credit where it's due.

In the Blues Bros. Maxwell Street scene (been there many times) John Lee Hooker is playing with Pinetop Perkins on a Wurly 120. I've played this very piano---a friend of mine (that is a promoter) bought it from him when Pinetop got a new EP. My being a keyboard player, Pinetop is a personal favorite---12 Handy Awards! By the way---find the extended version of the Blues Bros.---the extra scenes are really worth it. Pinetop and the Hook get into a fight over who wrote "Boom, Boom". Priceless!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Alberta_Slim and Floo like this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m with you. However, BB has some great stuff. I agree his output in later years is kinda boring.
    But yeah, the real deal time capsule stuff is the only blues I ever listen to. Clapton leaves me cold and annoyed. Never listened to john bossonamadamayama whatever.
    I feel the same way about rockabilly. I love listening to the primal 50’s stuff, I’m hard pressed to find any “neo rockabilly” stuff that sounds like anything other than boring.
    That being said, if someone takes influence and cues from old blues/rockabilly/country and does something from the heart with it, I’m in.

8. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Somebody said it earlier in this thread (forgive me for not looking up who did it): if an established artist does what he's famous for, he's boring. If he does something new, he disappoints his long-time fans. Therefore I enjoy musicians who are developing their style, changing from record to record, tour to tour. They may not always meet my taste, but that's not what I think music is about (or should be). People change, music changes, my taste changes. Give me music that touches my soul, nothing more and nothing less. Blues is not necessarily good: there is an Afro-American singer/guitarist living in Germany that gets a lot of love here, but I just don't enjoy his style, which I refer to as old men's Blues. 12 bars, pentatonic solos, no surprises. Boring to me, others rave about it. Matt Schofield playing guitar and singing, with drums and organ backing him, has more feeling, more soul - to me. Different scales and rhythms, Blues in the 21st century. This isn't Chicago 1948, this is worldwide 2019.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Actually, a few weeks ago I saw and heard a bunch of young guys doing rap
    backed by a guitar player and I really liked what they did. Good voices, good vibes. They did it from the heart, and it touched me.

Andrew Griffin and Henry like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Some names earn more credit than others. I see it in other disciplines as well. Arts, sports. Name dropping has almost become a PC thing in some circles. Some names are cool to drop, some are mundane, some are flat out wrong.

Robbie likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Jeez why hate on anything?

Waxhead, Andrew Griffin and ponca like this.
  12. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    If you say you don’t like BB King you just haven’t listened the right album.

CatTones and wabash slim like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have that with every artist. Even the ones I worship.

Henry, Alberta_Slim and dak55 like this.
  14. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    You’ve got a point there. I’m as guilty as anyone of posting stuff about how much I loathe all kinds of soulless robotic noise from hell trying to pass as music, but truthfully it’s just a waste of my time and energy. I should be grown-up enough about it to leave it beneath my attention where it belongs and spend my time more productively.

EDIT: you notice I couldn't even phrase it civilly: "soulless robotic noise... beneath my attention." I blame my Irish genes. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Waxhead, Floo, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  15. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    This is quite true. In particular, there are the “slap and tap” two handed acoustic players who have incredible technique. But after one or two songs, their music starts sounding the same, and after a whole album - ummm, I’ve moved on.

blueruins, new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Good way to look at it.

17. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I have to say that I don't have any 'hate' for anyone in the blues field but there are some I 'dig' more than others. One I love to listen to is the late Paul DeLay. Man that guy's harp playing nearly had me hanging up my guitar and taking up the harp. Unfortunately a nickel allergy means that I tend to get a nasty rash on my lips if I try the harp. His singing was pretty good and the band could swing.

SRV, Clapton, Moore and Bonamassa don't tickle my ear bones but that don't make them bad as with everything it's each to their own.

Waxhead, Alberta_Slim and blueruins like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    And strangely enough i hear a HUGE amount of BB in Peter Green's playing.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    The third concert I went to when I was 14 was The Byrds (who were the band I was going to see) with The Electric Flag and someone called B.B. King. I thought it was going to be Ben E. King and that the name on the poster was a misprint. Well it was this guy named B.B. with a guitar named Lucille. He blew my young mind. Then Michael Bloomfield came out with his horn band.

Then we got The Byrds. David Crosby was gone and Gene Clark was subbing for Roger McGuinn who was sick. They were a huge disappointment. It was probably a great Gene Clark solo show in retrospect, but at the time... But B.B. and Mr. Bloomfield changed my life that night. At one point I walked by the stage and Lucille was lying in her case unattended. I reached down and put my hand around her neck just to see what it felt like as I was just learning guitar. No lightning bolts or angles singing, but no one yelled at me either.

I liked Eric in Cream and I like some of his later work, too. But I don't like his singing when he sings straight blues. It sounds fake to me. YMMV.

I was lucky that I got to see B.B., Albert King and Albert Collins in their prime. Buddy Guy, too, though I'm not as much of a fan of his playing. And the older guys from the Delta and Texas have a place in my heart.

20. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Was that at the Fillmore?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice