Blues Deville 2x12

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by macheesmo3, Jan 7, 2009.

1. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Electromatic

Jan 3, 2009
    Ocean Springs,Ms
    I recently acquired ( for only $250 I might add) a Blues Deville 2x12 ( 90's reissue). It's rockin and sounds great ( well it really needs some NOS tubes in it the Groove Tubes suck) but it is TOO DAMN LOUD!!!!

I love the tone and all, but I can't tame this sucker and I need it to do double duty as a gig amp and a home amp. ( my 60's lectrolab needs a re-cap and maybe even more than that and it's just not really worth the $$$ to fix).

Some folks have suggested some volume box off the bay ( basically a 100k pot in a box) that you run between the efx loop. This doesn't seem to be a good fix as I am concerned about tube wear and/or other problems by cranking it and controlling the volume via the little pot box. Is this accurate? Or will it be fine? I can't really spring for a hotplate right now ( nor do i want something ELSE to lug around).

I really can't afford to buy a home amp as I don't make that much bread, the economy sucks, and I am trying to save for a 6k series Gretsch. If I start shopping for another amp ( like a champ or a Vox VTX series or something) I will end up spending wayy too much $$$ for something nicer than I need ( i know me , I will go to the store to buy a Champion 600 and walk home with a damn Princeton, my ears control my wallet!!!)

Any ideas? Or am i just gonna have to suck it up and give someone my $$$ with instructions to buy the champion600 and run back home? :)

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Don't those amps have a Gain and Master Volume control?

I remember the days when I thought I'd never say this but...

Try some OD pedals. A good OD pushing a tube amp can sound really awesome. I've tried a ton and once you find the right pedal for a particular amp it can be jaw dropping.

Otherwise, I'd go with an attenuator. You'll be driving the amp hard with attenuators, load boxes, etc. Only a MV control or an OD pedal will be nicer on the tubes.

3. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Electromatic

Jan 3, 2009
    Ocean Springs,Ms
    Well , it has a weird setup.

The MV only works in conjunction with the drive channel. The problem is that the taper on the volume is like this: silent,teensy, LOUD!!!!! From 0-1.5 it goes from dead to blasting! It also seems to control the impact of the gain level as well so I can't really hit near the sweet spot on either the clean or drive channels without the french doors RATTLING LIKE CRAZY! :)

I tried my sparkledrive, and even in just clean boost mode I can't get the sound I want without the dadburn thing blowing me away ( and making my Gretsch feedback like mad).

I really love this thing, but man alive is it loud. I swear it's louder than my old 120 watt Standel I used to have.

I hear you on the hotplate, but man... I reallly don't want to fiddle with one of those.

What about this volume box? My worries is that since everything will be turned up and the tubes cooking good, by stifling the actual output to the speakers via a seperate MV in the loop, I will end up frying my tubes and/or runing the trannies. Is this true?

I am starting to think I may have too much amp.... I haven't gigged it yet, but am planning to start something up here in the next month so i think I need it ( lots of cruddy rooms down here that need the power this thing has ) Maybe I'd be better off flipping it and buying a deluxe or something...
    anybody want to buy a perfectly good Blues Deville? :) lol !

4. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Mach, I have found the older BDRs to have this problem, but mine doesn't. Mine is about a year old and Fender must have cured the problem cause I can turn mine right down quiet. My cousin has an older Hot Rod Deluxe which is in the same line, and his is bloody loud no matter what you do. I think I would try and flip it for a new BDR with a twelve inch speaker Deluxe not Deville. You will find it much easier to carry also.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The volume box through the effects loop won't hurt a thing.

6. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I second that.. you can find a few on Ebay

7. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Won't hurt anything but I heard they're junk. Note rumor! I would go with a 100watt Weber Mass and not a resistor type attenuator. the mass has a built in speaker motor as so not to wear so hard on the tubes. Too many people crank down hard on these attenuators and they are not designed for that. They're made to drop to the levels to a reasonable level. When you run the amp at balls to the wall then draw down hard with an attenuator that's when the problems start!

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don't think he's talking about an attenuator in this case. If I understand it correctly this is going to function more like a master volume because it will lower the level of signal going into the phase invertor.

9. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Ah, one of those FX Loop boxes.

I wouldn't bother. You could build one for $10 of RadioShack parts. It essentially acts like a Gain/Master Volume control in that it allows you to control how much preamp signal is sent to the power section... having this and a Gain/MV will likely thin out the tone.

The Vox AC30 I built has a MV like that... 0-1 too little, after that WHOA loud.

It looks like the Blues Deluxe uses 250k Volume and Drive pots with a 1meg Master pot. You could change the Master's pot value to 500k to get a different sweep. An easy way to do this is to solder a 1meg resistor across the pot (far left to far right lugs, not messing with the middle lug) so you don't have to pull the whole pot.

If you don't know how to work on an amp, maybe have a friend who knows how work on it... a tube amp has voltages in it even when Off and unplugged.

10. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Mark I knew what he was talking about. I just heard from too many people that it wasn't worth it.

11. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Electromatic

Jan 3, 2009
    Ocean Springs,Ms
    Well poopy doopy!!! Looks like I may just clean this thing up and sell it for more than I paid for it and put a down payment on a Li'l Dawg double Deluxe or something...

12. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Hell, turning it around for more dough is always a good thing :)

13. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Electromatic

Jan 3, 2009
    Ocean Springs,Ms
    I just got some decent sounds out of it after many minutes of knob twiddling. I may not have to move it after all ( It involved minute little knob movements and I was able to actually get it to overdrive at a relatviely low volume!) Low meaning the cat only hides in the bedroom and isn't on fire as usual :) !!!

Thanx for the help everyone! Now I gotta take it apart and laquer it !

14. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I hear that.

Like I said, on a few of my amps there's just a hair-thin spot where it's either too much, or not enough.

Glad it's working for you!!

15. LeeIsLegend

LeeIsLegend Electromatic

Nov 28, 2008
    san antonio
    THD makes these converters that will allow you to use el84's or 34's in place of the 6l6's this in turn lowers the wattage of the amp allow you to get a cranked sound at lower volumes. It does change the tone but for the better in my opinion (used to own a 410 deville and used them on it) but so do attenuators which are pretty pricey for a good one anyways. I've heard of people installing master volumes on those amps too i think weber sells that upgrade that you can do yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice