Blues Deluxe Reissue. Weak Reverb?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I've just bought a Blues Deluxe, the amp sounds great and I love it.
    I've just a question about the Reverb: Do you think it's normal the Reverb is really "light" or "weak" ? I mean that the Reverb starts to give a nice, deep sound only if I turn the Knob over 7 or 8, so if I want a really "full reverbered" sound I have to turn the knob around 12 (and even at 12 it's not a Pulp Fiction sound, but just a nice, warm but not too strong, reverb).
    I hope to explain me correctly, I'm not sayng that Reverb doesn't work (the sound is nice), but only that Reverb is not strong as I supposed to be.
    Fo example, on my other amp, a Blues Junior the Reverb is less warm and less good, but I if I turn the knob at 7, the sound is totally reverbered....
    So I'm wondering if it's simply a matter of different kind of reverb or if it could be an issue of the amp.
    Thanks. RS

MKunie likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Might need a new tube. The reverb should be just as strong as the BJr.

MKunie likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @Rusty Silver ,

The reverb on the Blues Deluxe is a TL072 OP-amp, no tubes.

This circuit can be defective, but first I would search somewhere else :

1 - check the reverb tank itself. On it, there is a reference number. It should be 4EB2C1B or 4EB3C1B to be the convenient type.

2 - check the DCR of input and output of the reverb tank. Input = drive = circa 58 ohms, Output = recovery = circa 200 ohms, springs being totally immobile.

3 - check if the reverb is connected in the right sense, not input and output reversed cables. Try to reverse and test if it sounds better, no danger here.

4 - tight the CINCH connectors on the reverb tank.

5 - check if the springs are fully free, not more or less hindered by the tank installation.

With all this, you will have an idea about your reverb issue, I think...

Let us know ! ;)

A+!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 2:27 AM
    MKunie likes this.
  4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Thanks for your suggestions... I'm going to check... Anyway is there on this forum someone who owns this amp? I'd like to listen other users opinion...

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Unfortunately, I do not have this amp, but I repaired /serviced at least one dozen of them... ;)

A+!

Rusty Silver likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It could be something as simple as a dirty or corroded connector to or from the reverb tank.

7. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Well, thanks guys. I've just opened a similar discussion on an Italian guitar forum. It looks that's simply no issue or defect. Just the reverb of this amp is nice and warm but a little weak. Two guys wrote me that have the same amp (latest model) and they have to put reverb on 12 to hear real reverb sound.

8. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Anyway is welcome who wants to share his experience

9. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    The reverb on my Blues Jr. is very weak. I had the reverb chip replaced but it is still very weak. Now I use a TC Hall of fame 2.0 for reverb on it and everything else. Perhaps the problem is with the way the reverb tank is mounted?

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a first gen Blues Deluxe in the '90s and the reverb was very strong, almost surfy. Also i could swear it was tube driven as i had a problem with a microphonic tube when the reverb was cranked. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

11. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

The original Blues Deluxe had a tube driven Reverb, the actual model has a solid state driven Reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice