Blues Cube Artist 80-watt.. How much hiss is normal?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by claypainter, Jul 8, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If the sound goes away when you touch your guitar strings, it's likely a grounding issue within the guitar.
    Noise, like sputtering, is more within the amp, or with the source of power. A whine is from a motor. Hiss could be from a bad capacitor or transistor. Trouble shooting electrical/electronic issues can be aggravating at best of times.

2. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Well...
    Just got off the phone with a friend who is pretty well versed with this stuff.
    He essentially told me that this white-speaker-noise is normal with high watt, volume and gain settings.

Maybe I am just crazy and expect silence where silence doesn't exist.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Clay
    yes take Henry's advice and also ask yourself .......

what are you expecting from noise in an SS amp?
    are you expecting / wanting 100% silent when you're not playing?
    can you hear any humm thru this amp when you are playing?

claypainter likes this.
  4. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Well - because of my neurotics I convinced myself to buy a power-conditioner. I plugged it in and then plugged the guitar into the power-conditioner. Guess what the noise was still there, but hey, my guitars are at least safe from power surges now.

I took the Amp other places and plugged it in there. The noise persisted but when there was more ambient noise it became much less obvious of course.

I took it to a friends house that has A LOT more experience with this stuff than I do.

We plugged in-

"Dude - that noise is normal."

"Alright, I have never dealt with this many watts, let's jam."

"Man, this is a really nice amp."

I just need to chill and settle into the music.

Thanks, everyone, for their patience.

5. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    You never mentioned in your previous posts if you had single coil pickups. P-90s in particular will hum on any amp, but all hot pickups will produce noise to some degree (even humbuckers). Proper shielding and wiring practices can reduce a lot of this noise, but remember that if you're on the 40W or 80W setting, any little bit of noise from any source will be amplified - just a fact of life with electric guitars.

As a side note, I just recently got to testdrive a new Boss Nextone Artist 80W amp at a local music store. It's a very nice amp and appears to be well built, but it seems a bit heavy and has a slightly more compact cabinet than the BCA. It does have all of the functions of the BCA and more (2 channels, tone controls, reverb + other effects) and also has the four power amp model settings. Frankly, the differences in tones were subtle between the different power amp models, but with more experience and different volume levels I'm sure it would become more noticeable. Despite ticking all the boxes, I still think my BCA has a better overall clean tone and (with my NY Blues tone capsule) a much better (for me) gain channel. In my opinion, the Nextone's lead tone was too thin, loose, and not as well-defined as the BCAs. Perhaps if I messed around with the amp settings using the computer interface, I could probably dial in some better tones. But at $800, there's not a strong incentive for me to invest in one yet. Now, if they come out with a 40W Nextone head...hmmmm. :rolleyes:

claypainter likes this.
  6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You won't hear the noise while you're playing.

Waxhead and claypainter like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok Clay - I was half expecting this outcome :)
    Accept that no amp is 100% quiet but if your semi obsession continues there are another 2 option for you.

Option 1
    This - https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m135-7-10137-02129-7.do

A good noise gate will reduce your humm to zero.
    I have one of these Smart Gates - it works great when set correctly - don't waste your time on a Boss noise gate.

Option 2 - Don't use noisy single coil pups, dynasonics or P-90s.
    There are many low noise single coil options around.
    Humbuckers and Filtertrons are the lowest noise pups.

I had an experience with an idiot just last week RE humm from my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50.
    I'm selling it atm and it's a great quiet 50w tube amp.
    So this guy from New York came to my place to test it looking to buy.
    He said he had experience with tube amps and if that was true he should have known that all tube amps are a touch noisier than SS amps.

So he plugged in a Strat with noisy single coil pups, refused to turn up the amp above TV volume and then asked why the amp was so noisy.
    It's actually a very quiet tube amp and I said so diplomatically.
    I'd also explained that on MB amps the EQs work very differently to Fender, Vox, Marshall and I explained how to adjust it right. He ignored that and put the EQs to obviously what he normally likes.
    On this MB amp his EQs were just crazy and so he did his best to make it sound poor.

He played it for 2 mins then jumped up and said no - this amp is way too noisy and he doesn't like it.
    I just said "fine - goodbye" but later the whole episode annoyed me.

Back to amp noise - if you can't hear the humm while you're playing - why does it matter?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    claypainter likes this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    He was probably looking for you to discount it. Some folks are NEVER happy.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Thanks for the details and insights. Much appreciated. I'm slowly gaining experience.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Another thing you can do to beat the noise is the quickly roll your volume knob to the "off" position when the guitar is not in use :rolleyes::D. Actually, if you look at many YouTube guitar lesson and demo videos, you see the instructors doing this almost as an unconscious habit, especially if they have the high gain setting dialed in on their amp.

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes and stepping on your tuner is another bypass option I often use :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice