Bloody landlords

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Winterwind, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I hate them. Finding a good one is so hard.

I hate renting from property management companies. Poorly maintained concrete beehives with maintenance staff that no one else would hire. So my wife and I rented the second floor of this old fella's house.

The neighbourhood is nice and quiet, it's almost like stepping back in time. People are friendly, they wave, walk their dogs, kids play in the street, etc, etc,. But... most people that own homes and rent a floor don't know jack.

Apparently the house is 80+ years old. The first owner had it for 40 years and this guy has had it for the other 40. He's never put a cent into the apartment. There's no insulation, the bathroom subfloor under the old linoleum is rotting (we could smell it as soon as the cold weather came and we closed the windows) and I just found out that the outlets aren't grounded. At all. Any of them.

He's a nice guy, a retired bus driver, with a drinking problem and we don't know if his memory problem is a result of age or alcohol. We've mentioned maintenance issues before that he never remembers so I pressed the other day. He sent his handyman.

Despite the odour and the floor so lumpy and bumpy it's like walking on one of those air castles the guy didn't even look under the linoleum, just said "it's old" and replaced the toilet with a water saving low flow job for the landlord's benefit, not ours (utilities are included in the rent). We know a rotting subfloor in a bathroom when I smell it. My wife and I both have building and reno backgrounds and her dad builds houses but whatever.

I asked the handyman to check the outlets since every one gives me a wiring fault with my surge bars and our tester. Turns out nothing here is grounded. The old guy asked his handyman how much it would cost to bring the wiring up to code. The guy said "a lot" and explained the work involved so the landlord said "Oh, well, forget about it then". Excuse me? What?

And the kicker today... we told him back in the early summer the bathroom wall bleeds nicotine. We have to wash the walls and ceiling every two weeks. He forgot about it. We reminded him. He said we'd never told him but today he offered me a case of beer to do the bathroom for him. I explained to him how much work is involved with smoke damaged, nicotine smoked walls and he thinks I'll do it for a case of beer.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

Ok, rant over.

2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yes, if possible always. It over renting. Sorry to hear about your headaches. As a longtime remodeler, It would drive me crazy, and I would have that half- fixed,,,,Like it was my own home, in a heartbeat.
    :)

3. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    We talked about it and while we'd buy our own paint and do cosmetics I'm not doing any actual work for this guy and not putting my own money into someone else's property.

Now, if he wants to pay me plus provide materials that's different. :)

Alberta_Slim and section2 like this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Most the time, if the renter is able to do the work and just get it done, the landlord is will to deduct the cost of the work from the rent for the month.

Landlords often don't realize the cost of keeping up the property. For instance, the repainting between tenants, the issue of re-carpeting if there has been a pet that has used the carpet as their personal toilet, tenants that are short on the rent. It takes money to offer a rental, otherwise you can end up as a slumlord.

Here in the US, the upside is the tax write-off, and that the rent helps pay the mortgage. If you can retire with a paid off house to sell, it helps a lot. Until then, you have to be able to afford the rental property, especially if it goes unrented for a period of time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Winterwind likes this.
  5. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    If it was me I would not stay in a place that had moldy rotting subfloors and nicotine bleeding from the walls. My lungs and health is not worth it no matter how inexpensive the monthly rent might be.

As for the old guy. There is very little chance a retired bus driver has the money to upgrade what might well be knob and tube writing in his 80 yr old house. Chances are good he would have to remortgage his house to do that, if he has not done so already. My guess is he rents out part of his house because he needs the income.

19MGB76 and Winterwind like this.
  6. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I used to work for a local town and the horror stories, not just from tenants, but from our zoning officer, meter readers, etc--some people just don't get it. They see renting a place out as a get rich quick scheme. They don't seem to understand that you really won't make money on real estate until you actually go to sell it and if you aren't taking care of it, well guess what? You probably are going to be in the hole in the long run. And then to make matters worse, those landlords are usually the ones who don't screen tenants so you end up with this never ending cycle. I'm so glad I don't work there anymore...

Good luck with your mess. My suggestion is move when you are able to. Some people just don't get it.

Alberta_Slim, section2 and Winterwind like this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    He's got a few bucks. The former owner converted the upstairs. He's been renting this out the entire 40 years he's had the place. Bus drivers here make decent enough money, he has his pension and his wife still works f/t. Plus he's having his entire basement and first floor renovated.

We'll be looking at moving once the lease is done. He's not a bad guy, just utterly clueless and drunk so I don't want to get him in trouble with the city.

Thankfully whoever the smoker was they only smoked in the loo and nowhere else.

@Flouswa I'm glad you chimed in. Any chance to look at that gorgeous Gretsch in your avatar.

Alberta_Slim, section2 and Flouswa like this.
  8. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Unfortunately no--that's just a dream guitar. Sorry! One from the custom line that I have drooled over since I saw it. Someday...

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  9. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Awww... :(

Well, I've got a tonne of guitars on my wish list too. :)

10. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Move out so he can redo the house, then move back in and pay double the rent.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  11. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    As a landlord, I can tell you that I will never rent my house again...

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  12. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Some of those issues are safety problems—especially the rotting subfloor and the bad wiring. You don't want a respiratory illness, or worse yet, a fire. It's kind of you to try to avoid getting him into trouble, but you may need to make him understand that he has to fix these issues lest he end up having a date with the housing tribunal.

13. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    usa
    being in the remodeling field most of my life and being on both sides of the renter/landlord coin at one point i can honestly say that good landlords are far and few between and good renters just a scarce. nice 'if' a good can find a good but that gets harder every passing year i think. good luck with your situation

Henry likes this.
  14. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I know. I've been a landlord myself, privately and for three separate property management companies.

He has his little certificate from the city updated for the current year and thinks he's fine... but then I know for a fact they don't actually send out an inspector unless they get a complaint.

We just look at it as not so much choosing our battles but choosing the timing. I'm going to try reasoning with him again but I am not doing the bathroom for him and I don't do electrical period.

Alberta_Slim and section2 like this.
  15. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Sound like you are top of it. I hope you are successful in finding a more pleasant living enviorment.

16. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    oi! i am a landlord! and you know what i am not cut out for this at all! i do anything my tenant wants and she always wants! my tenant is very difficult but i drop everything for her because i want her to be happy. i also give the apartment £200 less than it is worth because i am not greedy. to be honest i hate being in this position as lucky as i am to have this, i know! i say to my girlfriend every day i have to sell this that place i hate being a landlord! i really think i am one of a kind, i am way to nice to be a landlord if i may say so myself. if you had me as your landlord this post would be the complete opposite. shame you don't live in london england. p.s i am sorry to hear you are having trouble with yours, this world is full of sharks.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I agree.
    I've been a renter in past and am now I'm a landlord with tenants - a couple with toddler.

By way of contrast my present tenants have been a pain in A since they moved in 4 months ago. There's been a series of incidents and I'll explain what I did in response. I presently live 6 hrs drive away so can't do little repairs myself.

The 2nd toilet has had a trivial little feature forever. You have to hold the button down for 1 sec to make sure it flushes right and releases. Tenants could not adjust to this and complained the toilet was broken. So I had to get plumber to fix this non issue - cost me $180.

In the garage I left 4 one litre tins of water based paint to be used potentially as touch up paint for any marks on walls. The tenants complained these were a major environmental and safety hazard and demanded they be removed asap. I had to pay my gardner to transfer the 4 tins 10m away to a subfloor area. The tenants refused to move them.

3 weeks ago they complained the air conditioner was broken so I had it replaced - cost $2400.

This week they complain the shower head is dribbling water. It's most likely just a washer but they won't do nothing so I've engaged the plumber again - likely cost $150 minimum.

The lease says they can't drill holes in walls and they're been told verbally several times but does not stop their ongoing requests to bolt TVs into walls and drill in cages and gates for their kid. Every time I have to tell them the obvious that will leave holes in the walls I have to repair and then get the whole wall re-painted.

Another one was the owners corporation engaged a roof tiler to fix some leaking tile capping on my townhouse and 2 others. My tenants were told about this before hand but came home while the tiler was doing the work on my roof. Standing underneath his tall ladder they and screamed and abused the tradesman and ordered him off the whole site. The tiler left the site and phoned our property manager. He got angry and knocked on the tenants door. He ordered them to apologise to the tiler - which they did. Tiler went back up his ladder and finished the job.

All this in 4 months.
    They've got a 6 months lease - I want new tenants :(

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Don't rent if at all possible.
    Cities all have standards for habitation that all landlords MUST comply with by law.
    I disliked living in beehive apartments because of all of the other tenants being pigs and idiots. Try living in the apartment next to a drug dealer. That's fun---at 3AM on a Wednesday. Try living next to a frat's party house. Try living next to a rock and roll musician that doesn't understand "quiet time" (that'd not include anyone here).

I've lived in 50 man open bay barracks, in a sandbag hooch, and grew up living in a basement while Dad built the house upstairs. I've lived in student hovels, trailers, and in a beehive apartment as well. My suggestion is to save your money and buy your own place. All you have to show for living in rentals are your check stubs. I bought my first house when the interest rates were over 15%. They're far below that now. I realize that you may not be able to do it now, but the sooner the better. In the meanwhile, I wish you luck.

Alberta_Slim and MotorCentaur like this.
  19. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    There are definitely issues on both sides. I've done unit inspections where the entire place had to be gutted after the tenant left.

The worst was my father-in-law's one tenant. He owned a fair amount of property once upon time but the tenants made him realise it was a losing battle.

The woman literally piled 52 garbage bags in the 2nd bedroom, one for each week. The carpet, underlay, subfloor, joists, everything rotted and ruined.

I've always been a good tenant and good landlord but I've see some of the worst of each depending on what side of the fence I was on.

We'd love to buy a house but I can't even find a job right now. It does get harder the older you get, especially in a college town.

Alberta_Slim and Waxhead like this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm a renter and i maintain whatever house im renting, it's worked out well for me. I never bug my landlords and they don't bug me. If it's too big a job and there's potential damage to the structure i will bring them in otherwise i just handle it.

Waxhead likes this.