Blacktop Filtertrons vs ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Charlie westside, Aug 9, 2018.

1. mike G

mike G Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Middletown NY USA
    Just bought a set of Blacktops for my new used 2622T Streamliner with Broadtrons, not my favs. The cost $65 /pair installed $50 = $115 .Compaired to $1oo more for TV classic plus's (was recommended by them) So a hundred more for the highest shelf . One mans ceiling ect. My ceiling now Blacktops , I thought they sounded pretty good in a 5622 Electromatic and their versatility will be nice too . Could this be a subconsious replacement for the 69 ES 335 I used to have with some Gretsch throw in ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Charlie westside likes this.
  2. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Could be. I really like BT's After months of playing my guitar they have grown on me. They can really Roar when distorted and sound amazing clean. I hope you enjoy them.

Above Dimension likes this.
  3. mike G

mike G Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Middletown NY USA
    Thanks, I am droping them in this week with a new TruArc stainless bridge for good measure. I'm looking forward to getting done = better than it was LOL

4. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I think it's going to be sweet!!!

5. Above Dimension

Above Dimension Gretschie

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Amen

mike G likes this.
  6. mike G

mike G Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Middletown NY USA
    Hope to post a happy pic in another week , should get a little mojo when its set up I think , I just traded my Blues Jr for a Vox AC15 and it grooves well . Happy

7. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Vox, excellent choice. Good marriage.

mike G likes this.
  8. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    075861B0-F460-4031-98C5-82264A8279E6.jpeg Princeton Reverb also a great match with a Gretsch.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Black Top FilterTrons again... Here in my "Mustang" Harley-Benton project :

[​IMG]

Pots are A250K.
    Tone cap is 22n.
    Center PU is ARTEC Lipstick LS70A-CR (DCR=7.5K).

A+!

10. mike G

mike G Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Middletown NY USA
    Yeah - I'm looking forward to my new Blacktops ! That is one pretty & classy lookin gitar ! I see your located an hour or so from me , if you ever pass by this way ( Middletown Ny ) drop a line and bring your Axe over ., I also play keys and jam with a couple of folks .

11. Above Dimension

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Sure I will.Thanks for the offer.By the way I wanted to share a few tracks quickly recorded trough a small Yamaha amp THR10C just to let you hear how the BlackTops sound.The tracks are roughly recorded with no time for proper mixing.So please excuse me for that.
    www.soundcloud.com/savanaviolenta/21a
    www.soundcloud.com/savanaviolenta/bbking-surffin
    www.soundcloud.com/savanaviolenta/spaghetti-music1

12. Above Dimension

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Great guitar,I wonder how do they sound in that particular guitar.That must be an alder body,right?I know the Pro Jets have them ,but their bodies are made of basswood,so they will sound slightly different I guess.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

The guitar is this one :
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ms_60lh_vw_vintage_series.htm

The body is reputedly made from Basswood, reading the specs. I confirm that it's a solid wood, not plywood not particle board, by the way.

I use A250K pots, giving a smoother tone to the BT FT here, and the volume balance between the ARTEC Lipstcik and the BT FT is fine. I did not tested with A500K pot, though - I should !

Conversely, in the Gretsch Pro-Jets, the pots are A500K, and this enhance the resonant peak of the pickups, making the difference of tone more obvious than the wood itsefl, IMHO.

In fact, these are 2 guitar projects based on the same model, with swappable pickguards : original 2-PU pickguard, 3-PU Strat-like pickguard, 3-PU Lipstick-BT FT, 3-PU Lipstick-Dynasonic :

[​IMG]

A+!

14. mike G

mike G Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Middletown NY USA
    Thanks for the tracks , sounded like some delay and reverb with both pickups maybe on all 3 - maybe if I can test my ear a little . Thanks anf Happy New Year to Ya !

15. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I like the HS as well as any TV Jones I’ve tried, better than most! I’ll never change the pickups in my 6120 Jr... and probably never in the Jade Penguin either... gotta get it first lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Above Dimension

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Happy New Year to you too!!!Yes there was reverb added on these tracks,can't remember for delay,might be tough,was long time ago.Cheers!

17. Above Dimension

Jun 8, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Maybe one of the best demo showing how great the BlackTops sound in the G5420T

18. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Plenty of bite form the two guitars I have with Blacktops. However, the tone I love most is playing through the clean channel with the tone knob rolled way off on my 5420 when I don’t use a pick. Wonderful warm bite....Yummy slow blues

BTW, I think Joey L stole my guitar

19. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia