Blacktop Filtertron solos: neck, bridge or both?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rusty Silver, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I play with Fender amps (so the sound is really bright) and I'm starting to realize that I prefer using neck pickup for solos... To me it's strange because I usually tend to play rithm on middle and solos on middle or bridge positions, but since I've started trying the neck for solos I've discovered a warmer and richer sound (expecially on the treble strings, where bendings can sound shrill)... So, obviously not a general rule, but I'd like to know your opinions...

GlenP, Alanqa and hcsterg like this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

When just trying to please myself, I probably spend 95% of my time on the neck pickup. If I was trying to make an impression in front of a crowd, then I would switch to the bridge for a solo.

section2, Rusty Silver and hcsterg like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I use all three positions : N, N+B, B both for chorusing or rhythm parts, depending on the tune context, if I need to cut through the mix, and what prefers our conductor also. The general rule would be as follow :

Bridge = Rock, Rock'n'Roll...
    Bridge+Neck = Soul, Funk, Wah use...
    Neck = Soul, Jazz, Blues...

But it also depends on which instrument I use, so there is frequent exceptions. For example :

- The Blues Icy tone of Albert Collins is more easily dialed-in with Bridge PU, preferably with single-coil.

- Carlos Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" is more easily dialed-in in Neck+Bridge position, preferably with humbuckers.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659, section2 and Rusty Silver like this.
  4. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I also tend to use both pickups for rhythm and neck for solos unless I am using my PRS then I tend to use the bridge pickup for lead.

new6659, section2 and Rusty Silver like this.
  5. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Very seldom use bridge alone...most time spent on neck, a little on both.

6. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Somehow this neck pickup can sound twangy (it's not a contradiction), just need to find the right eq. In the beginning I thought Blacktops sound a bit dark, but now, with Fender amps, they sound really bright. I love those Pu's. Maybe it's not the classical Gretsch sound but it's anyway a very distinctive sound, different from typical Fender or Gibson, so, for me, it's just Gretsch!

section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice