Black pick guard for G6119T - sources?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jan 15, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Does anyone have good recommendations for sourcing a replacement pick guard for a G6119? Same as a G6120, I believe. Would like black color.

Doesn't need to be Gretsch brand, nor say Gretsch on it. I'm just hoping to not have to spend $60 or $70 for it.

Many thanks, in advance.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mr. Paul Setzer is the man, but I haven't done business with him in years. My guard cost me 60 bucks back then.

Quickguards seems to be a favorite too, but oh 70 bucks.

Other than that, how handy are you with a router and spindle sander? :)

DHart likes this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    +1 for QuickGuards, top-notch quality.

Double check that it’s the same as a 6120 though. I have two 6120s and a 6118 in the room with me now and they all have different pickguard shapes. Similar, but the curves and holes are all slightly different.

DHart likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Blackrider and quickguards do black pickguards for a 6120 so would have to look at the size/shape, but still in the $60/$70 ball park, I haven't found any cheaper.

I have been looking into this as well as I removed my black guard of my 6119 to get it signed and thinking of getting a new one to put back on the guitar, but kinda like the no pick guard look so still in decision on that one.

Like Borderradio said, if you are handy with tools just have ago yourself.

DHart likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Hi Wes. Well, aside from not having those tools, I would say that my level of handiness is about "moderate". :)

I love the look of no pick guard, but am accustomed to resting my pinkie finger just below the strings, and the height of the strings above the top (without a guard) is higher than I like... and, I worry about wearing the finish on the guitar where I rest my pinkie finger.

I have the original pick guard, but would prefer the look of black vs. the silvery color of the stock guard.

Looks like I'm in for another $70 here.

Stefan87 and BorderRadio like this.
  6. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    SAM_0534.JPG Bandsaw, files and emery. A trip to the trophy shop.

Gregor likes this.
  7. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Not hard to make yourself. I made a black guard by laminating a piece of white formica between two pieces of single ply pickguard material, tracing the original pickguard, cutting out on a benchtop bandsaw and finishing with sandpaper. It ends up with a bit of a white border. Drill 2 holes and you're good. Your only cost is pickguard material. I had some left over from an acoustic guitar project. Cost me around $20 cdn at StewMac. ....and you say you don't need a decal although for my guard I had Paul Setzer make one for me(great person to deal with by the way). You must have a woodworking friend somewhere who could cut it out for you. Good luck.
    IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    DHart and benjwri like this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just a thought, if you would be willing to go with out the standard silver guard you could always strip the silver paint of the back of the standard one and paint it black, you then wouldn't have the standard guard but it wouldn't cost you any extra money.

That's if yours is the same as my prolines with the clear pick guard painted at the back? haven't seen these in person so not sure if they are still made like that.

I get what you mean about the no pickguard and resting your finger on it, it felt a bit funny at the start but just put up with it.

DHart likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've used plexiglass/Perspex, a coping saw, files and sandpaper, and a can of Testor's model paint. There's a technique that uses heat/flame to deal with the rounded edges, but I don't know how to do it.

10. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Does anyone know if mlaval makes one? (seems their website is down at the moment)

11. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I got my 5 ply from "Pickguard Heaven" some years back but it doesn't look like they offer Gretsch guards any longer. I got the rings from "Greasey Groove" so I checked there and found a G6120 three ply = $24.99. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the T-Rose but there are 5 variations so check the (does it fit) tab on that page to make sure you order the right one.

(Alias "BEACHBUM"):)

https://www.greasygroove.com/black-white-black-g6120-post-2003-gg.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    DHart and BorderRadio like this.
  12. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    Yes in less you order a Custom made guard - They are almost Impossible to find thru Gretsch. I know I did alot of searching for my 6119 Special - I ended up polishing the heck out of my original guard to make it look almost new again. Good luck to you.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Mike at Quickguards does great work. I’ve bought several from him. You pay for it, but they are high quality.

Henry and DHart like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona

Yeah! That's the look.

Are you Beachbum from the other forums?

15. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    That be me. :)

16. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    We're most certainly on a parallel path, aren't we! :D Were you in Florida and now in Nevada?

17. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    We do seem to be that. I was first in Nevada then 6 years at the beach in California now back in Nevada hence the "BEACHBUM/GAMBLER" handles.:rolleyes: I also go by "PAPADON" on a few other forums.

DHart likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    My name is Don. :eek:

19. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction.:confused:

DHart likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Don... it is amazing how close our tastes are in guitars, particularly in customizing our Strats, Teles, and Gretsches. I guess the fact that we are both "Dons" isn't all THAT surprising. Pretty cool! Cheers, my friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice