Billy Zoom

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by claypainter, May 11, 2019.

1. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    I saw X play tonight at Houston's House of Blues.

Billy Zoom (their guitarist) = fantastic player, beautiful Gretsch guitar. Great show.

They opened for Violent Femmes.

Any Billy Zoom fans?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The first four X records are four of the best albums of all time!

I finally saw them few years ago. They were incredible!

Billy Zoom rules!

claypainter likes this.
  3. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I love X and I love Billy Zoom.

Is he still rocking the Silver Jet?

Unfortunately I've never seen them live. I used to live in So. Cal. in the 80s, I graduated high school in 87 from Warren High in Downey :D and I went to a few shows at the old Fender Ballroom in Long Beach. I think X played there a few times at least, if memory serves, but I never got to see them. That was a wild wild place. I'm still recovering from a Black Flag concert I saw there buahaha. Punk RAWK.

calebaaron666 and claypainter like this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    He's tall, I'm not. we exchange pleasantries in person every yr. at Namm and argue occasionally about politics on facebook. Been a fan since I was a kid and realized he'd been sitting in w the Blasters aside from X.
    billy zoom and tavo.jpg

Lionpotato, Echocat23, audept and 7 others like this.
  5. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Big fan “X” is in my playlist daily they will be here in Ohio at the Kent State Stage in June it is a Wednesday night and I have church otherwise I’d be going with my drummer

6. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    X has been one of my favorites for decades now - I've seen them... 8, 9 times maybe? One of the best was an X-mas double bill with The Blasters. The connection between those two bands runs deep. Also, John Doe's solo stuff and their cow-punk offshoot The Knitters (with Dave Alvin). Honestly, the two Knitters records are two of my all-time favorite albums. Just listen to their version of Long Chain On - I swear, it'll practically make you cry. Doe is a seriously underrated vocalist. They don't tour often, but I did manage to see them once about 7 years ago. DJ on washboard and snare! LoL! Great stuff!

And yes, I bought a 6129-57T Silver Jet with Dynas pretty much thanks to Billy! It's one of my best guitars.

7. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    He wasn't playing the silver Jet.

He was playing this wine-red hollow body Gretsch, as seen in the photo below. (Not my photo- it was found on the interwebs).

Attached Files:

RocknRollShakeUp and Merc like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve only heard a few songs. In a few interviews I watched he seems like a good chap. I don’t frequent the other G Forum often but he used to hang around once and a while.

9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yeah, he has his own forum at TGP and is there frequently..
    Seems like a really nice guy

wabash slim likes this.
  10. dmcintyrelee

dmcintyrelee Electromatic

Apr 19, 2019
    Santa Cruz
    John Doe in Roadside Prophets.... with Adam Horovitz.... ALL TIME -- saw X in Fresno in the 80s (didn't even get stabbed!)

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Billeee Zooooom! \m/ \m/

12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    “Everybody gets lucky at Jack Pot! Eldorado DUDE!”

dmcintyrelee likes this.
  13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    X is still playing live!?!?
    Is it the original line up? Still John Doe & Exene Cervenka!?!?!?
    I would have told they disbanded long time ago.

One of my all-time preferred guitar riff is I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts.

claypainter and calebaaron666 like this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Looks like a single cut Gent with Dynas? I think I can see a reflection over the closed f-hole on the bass side

15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Still original line-up when I saw them. A few years back they had a replacement for Billy Zoom cuz he was in rough health.
    They played I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts at the show. Awesome!

claypainter likes this.
  16. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    About 22 years ago got a chance to play with John Doe while he was at my house. They chose my house to film some scenes from a movie he was in as it was a Victorian...the film company was referred to me from the local government at the time. Anyway, great guy...very down to Earth and likable...He played my 66 Gretsch Double Anniversary...just me and him sitting across from each other...of course we did some Beatles amongst other things..I played my 78 Rickenbacker 320... We had another guy who was a local musician they had as an extra..he played on and off with us.They used the Ric in a scene where it hung on a wall behind him.

17. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Here, here!
    A big Mr.Zoom fan.
    He’s the reason I bought a Sparkle Jet. I sold it when I realized I couldn’t play like him no matter what :).
    Seriously, he’s been the only rockabilly player that I was listen to in my early punk rock years. I still love his sound guitar>amp with no pedals in between (apart from some occasional tape echo), although it’s always been really hard for me to achieve it because of volume issues.
    He’s a Gretsch master.

18. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Yea man, it was all original, John Doe, Exene, Billy, and DJ Bone Break.

They played "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts."

That and "Nausea" were my favorite songs that they performed here in Houston.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  19. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    That's wild! What a cool experience. John Doe was killing it during the show. He still has the rockstar image and aggressive performance/vocals.

20. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    It was very cool that's for sure.. again the first thing that set him apart was how nice and down to Earth he was .. more so than anyone else there from him crew.

claypainter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice