billy bo build-sorta

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by guitarmaker, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I always thought Danny Gatton's Formica Telecaster looked neat.

[​IMG]

Big Ron

2. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    I made the neck for it. It's 3-piece maple with a stew mac hotrod truss rod. Ron, that is a pretty sweet tele!

3. NJBob

NJBob Gretschie

Nov 16, 2008
    New Jersey
    I regret not getting the Bo-mica when you were offering it. Pockets were shallower.

Are you doing another?

4. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    I actually still have it. I thought about ebaying it but that didn't seem like the right thing to do. I'd be happy to build another though if you're interested. I'm a bit backed up on my work right now but I'm always thinking of more billy-bos.

5. NJBob

NJBob Gretschie

Nov 16, 2008
    New Jersey
    I'd like a BillyBo with Dynas.
    Silver Jet sparkle to match my 6129's.

Still, there's something about your BoMica that is just really cool. Maybe it reminds me of the old kitchen table or the diner or...

I know what I'm dreaming about tonight :)

6. Phat Vinny

Phat Vinny Electromatic

Apr 12, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    OR you could do the dented car bit

I bought a Japanese Tele body that had been dropped hard by the jack. It had some dents in the top on the upper side. I wanted to smooth it out sooooo..... Bondo glazing putty...I left it red for a long time. I finally got rid of the guitar.

You could do Bondo and primer ala a high school kid's car.

7. Phat Vinny

Phat Vinny Electromatic

Apr 12, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    BTW Guitarmaker....

Great Job on the Billy Bo! That reminds me of the table my gramma had in the sunporch in the back of the house when I was 8. Cool box.

8. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    What a fanatastic thread and a truly awesome build GM...
    How in the hell did i miss it until now???

9. mike buffington

mike buffington Newbie

Jan 20, 2010
    London UK / AZ USA
    Hey JBennett. I made a replica of Flansburgh's guitar. Check it out! Here's the making of video that I made for it, too. http://vimeo.com/29655565

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to find the exact VU meter--got close but it's a rare thing-- but everything else is exact.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Now this old thread is resurrected...where did Guitarmaker go?

11. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Well, I'm still around. Just been busy with a million different things. I'm hoping to get some of my other (non-guitar) projects out of the way soon and then I'll get back to it and start sharing my progress again. I've got another 5 Gretsch inspired projects on my mind that I think you guys will enjoy.

12. GuitarMojo

GuitarMojo Gretschie

Oct 19, 2011
    Honesdale, PA
    Did you ever figger out that wierd E string issue?

13. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a feeling that stuff might act as a tone killer and prevent the guitar from sustaining and ringing true. Drum wrap is plastic, which is probably thinner that what you have, and drummers have been arguing for decades that plastic wraps prevent the shells from vibrating, while lacquer finishes allow them to breathe and resonate better. Tests have been done, and there's an extremely small difference between a wrapped and lacquered shell, but it's so small, you can't tell on the bandstand under live music conditions or even in the studio.

I agree your guitar looks very cool in that 50's diner table top wrap. I hope it rings true.

14. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Heavier gauge strings helped a little. I will eventually take the cover off the pickup to take a closer look because there still is a noticeable difference. Otherwise, it sounds great. I haven't noticed any sustain issues from the formica.

15. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Whoa Mike B. Nice job on the Mojo clone! Not get to work on that Coral Guitarlin!

16. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    How did I miss this thread?!!! That's a hll of a cool Bilybo copy.

How much do you charge for one of those :)

Marlin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice