Bigsby with TOM

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Darren1982, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:44 AM.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Seems like the "thing" you have to do is get a Compton or Tru Arc bridge from reading on here,

But why are pro players like Brian Setzer using a standard TOM bridge? It does seem strange that this should work as the string is moving through the saddles which might get stuck. But if its good for him then its good for me!

I have got a Gotoh TOM with Titanium saddles with V stop tail. I was thinking about getting the B3 Towner Kit but was looking at bridges. Shall i just keep with what i got? The guitar is a 6228.

Then most people also replace the spring too? reverend squishy spring?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Gotoh TOM bridges are great. If I were you I’d add the bigsby I wanted, make sure the nut is filed correctly to keep from binding, and see if it all worked. I would then decide after playing it for a while if I wanted to try a different bridge.
    A Gotoh is already much much better than the adjustomatic bridges that come stock on many Gretsch’s.

section2 likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Setzer has sperzel locking tuners w a delrin nut and the bridge is a gotoh ABR-1 bridge w brass saddles. What is key is that the saddles are cut and dressed properly w the usual maintenance of a deburring and graphite lube. Setzer also doesnt change his strings constantly on his guitars. I have my SSU set up just like Setzer's and I have no tuning issuers or strings breaking. Bar bridges are nice especially the serpentune tru-arc bridges as they are a maintence free drop in upgrade. I have one of those on my setzer hotrod,

section2, audept and thunder58 like this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Setzer's tech 7 years ago said he changes the strings every 2-3 says while on tour.

5. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I recently read an interview with Setzer where strings came up, apparantly he keeps strings for very long times as he likes the broken in and somewhat duller feel.

benjwri likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Gotoh TOMs are nice
    The TOM that came on my 5120 was a piece of crap

Jena likes this.
  7. Not really enuf experience to say, but Gotoh had the 12" radius ToM with the large posts . . . beefier than the stock on a G2655 by 3mm so bridge could maybe be placed virtually straight rather than the "tilt" done for the "intonation compensation of the saddles"

8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    TOM roller bridges are the way to go. With or without a Bigsby.

9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've always been about the solid bar bridges ( Comptons, RBBs) but I need to try the ABR-1....

10. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a Gotoh TOM on my Red Sparkle Jet (my avatar) for the longest time. Never had a problem.

I had a G6119T with a stock TOM. Never had a problem.

Folks like to swap out bridges because it's an easy and really inexpensive mod. It is not always necessary but it is fun to do.

11. Manny 86

Manny 86 Electromatic

Jun 3, 2019
    Italy, Piedmont
    If you want a really badass bet on ABM bridge steel, on les paul is deadly. You need to have a new base to screw on new studs.

12. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Still have the original AOM/TOM without any issues.

If I needed a change Gotoh/Truetone ABR-1 would be my choice.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    But who actually maintains his guitars? And his touring habits may be different from non touring. In the rig rundown the tech says the same as you about Setzer, but he changes them every 2-3 shows (instead of every show maybe).

Limuz likes this.
  14. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Did a bit of digging, but I found it.

https://www-guitarplayer-com.cdn.am...g-twang-theory?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=

Towards the end is why Brian delays changing strings nowadays. Search for 'once a year', it'll take you straight to it. The tech talks about it. The rest is a good read too.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice