Bigsby for Historic 3150

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by ade6789, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ade6789

ade6789 Newbie

Jan 21, 2020
    UK
    Hi,

I am new to the forum.
    I have recently purchased an Historic 3150 and woul like to put a Bigsby on it.
    Has anyone got any idea as to the correct one to choose?
    I can't seem to find any information on this, have emailed Bigsby and Gretsch but no one has replied.
    Also, will I nee to drill any new holes? or will it fit into the old ones?
    I'd rather not drill if I can help it!

Thanks for any help

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve seen a couple with a B6/B60. The neck angle seemed a bit shallow to me.

3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    B6 or b7 will work. B6 would be better because people have trouble with tuning with a B7 and it requires a screw right into the top of the guit. You won’t be able to get away from drilling new holes to mount it. Fill and drill!

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I found this pic of a 3150 with a B6C (a Gretsch-branded B6).

Screenshot_20200122-001405.png

The break angle is a little shallower than normal, but it looks fine.

I'd go with a B6 or a B6C. If you need a steeper break angle, you can add a Towner Down Tension Bar II without drilling any holes in the top.

Stay away from the B7; it'll cause tuning problems and you'd need to drill an extra hole in the top of the guitar.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    B6 with a B3 hinge plate and a vibramate hinge-plate-adapter should allow you to mount the whole thing using the existing end-pin hole. Can add a Towner tension bar where the stop-tailpiece studs are if needed as well.

I did this when first fitting a Bigsby to my 335 but I lost the vibramate adapter and just drilled extra holes once I was sure I was gonna keep it on there.

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT ade!

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, ade6789!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

8. townerusa

townerusa Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    San Diego California
    Feel free to message me for any Bigsby related questions.

section2 likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If it were me, I’d probably go with a B7.
    If you use a B6 it’ll work, but your strings will have a hard time staying in the saddles if you strum or pick with any enthusiasm.

I had a B6 on a guitar that was supposed to have a B7. It worked well, but only because I ordered a custom Tru-arc bridge with deeper string grooves. Before that bridge, it was impossible.

10. ade6789

ade6789 Newbie

Jan 21, 2020
    UK
    Thanks very much for all your replies.
    I think I'm leaning towards the B6C, I just need to have a closer look at where the holes are in comparison to make a final decision.
    I play in a Neil Young covers band at the moment, a bit of rhythm and lead, so some hard playing but not too much, so it sounds like the B6 or B6C should suffice!

Thanks again

calebaaron666 likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Here’s the old guitar 5129 the B6 where there should’ve been a B7.
    I sold it a few weeks back.
    D17E528B-A695-4CB1-B589-A7D62A3D247C.jpeg
    Looked awesome, and it really did work well once I fixed the bridge situation.
    You can probably get a Gotoh tune-o-matic and file the saddle grooves down a little deeper to keep the strings in place.

12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Take @townerusa up on his offer to talk about Bigsby questions. He's invented a few very good products to make Bigsbys work their best, including some devices which should enable you to install a Bigsby without drilling any extra holes. He's also very helpful and responsive when it comes to giving advice. I have no affiliation, but I've exchanged emails with him and used his products, and I have only good things to say.

townerusa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice