Bigsby Behaviour with....

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Darren1982, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    As i have never had a bigsby equipped guitar i was wondering what happens when

1) If you want to quickly go to drop D, How badly does it effect the offer strings. Floyd rose... forget it!

2) Break a string through a set... Do you have to reach for your spare guitar or can you get through it without to many problems?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If you drop the E to D, you’ll definitely have to check your other strings.

Bring a spare guitar!
    NO one wants to change a string on a bigsby, sweating under hot lights, with a crowd of people watching you and waiting.
    Unless of course there’s another guitar player and the band can play a song while you work.
    I always bring a spare guitar to shows, and it’s because of that, I never break strings! If I only brought one guitar, I’d break them, I promise you! :)

BorderRadio, benjwri and section2 like this.
  3. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    What Caleb said...

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I use sperzel locking tuners w a properly cut and dressed wilkoid xl nut w COATED dAddario 11gauge (ELEVEN) strings to my bigsby b-6. No dumb rollerskate bridge, just groomed gotoh abr-1 w aftermarket raw brass saddles. I flip down to Drop D and back after a few numbers all the time, no problem. thats my SSU, on my SH I only differ by using a tru-arc stainless steel bar bridge.

section2 likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I remember you buying a String Spoiler a while back to allow for faster string changes on your 2622. Curious to know whether you've ever had occasion to restring it in the middle of a show, and if so, how it went.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Crazy as it sounds, since I started playing bigsby’d guitars on stage, i have not broken one string during a gig!! I was paranoid about it, cuz I used to break them all of the time. Now it never happens!

The spoiler is still on the 2622t, but that’s being borrowed by a friend right now. I’m going to take the spoiler off next time I string it up.
    On my Pirate-Caster I installed a string thru shaft, not because of string breakage, but because restringing a B5 with the tension bar SUCKS!!
    If they made string-thru shafts for licensed bigsby’s i’d get one for the b70 on my streamliner for the same reason.
    I have ZERO issue changing strings on a b6. Easy as all get out!

section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice