Bigsby B7

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by rymdskepp, Feb 20, 2019.

1. rymdskepp

rymdskepp Electromatic

Jan 28, 2019
    Sweden
    How hard should I tighten the screws that hold the bigsby?
    I tighten one screw a little tighter and heard a little "snap" just below the screw head
    What are the risks of tightening the screw too tightly?
    Also, is there any kind of locking fluid factory using when assembling the bigsby?

I have a Broadkaster 6609TG

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It’s not like screwing lug nuts on a car wheel. Tighten the screws till there’s resistance, but there’s no need to overtighten. I haven’t had a bigsby shake loose yet.
    Definitely stop before there’s a snap!

thunder58 likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi rymdskepp & Welcome,

This guitar being a Center Block, there should be no issue, except marring the wood or broke the screw if you are Hulk-on-a-Screwdriver... :eek::D

A+!

4. rymdskepp

rymdskepp Electromatic

Jan 28, 2019
    Sweden
    There was also a snap when I loosend the screw

5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Damn, i dunno about that! It’d make me nervous if I heard it!
    Like @hcsterg said, the b7 is screwed into a piece of wood cuz it’s a centerblock guitar, so it’s secure. If it were me, i’d set it and forget it.
    Maybe just keep an eye on it to make sure the screws stay secure.
    I’ve never heard of anyone using any kind of locking fluid, but I’m sure it’s been done.
    I’ll use wax or soap on the threads of the screws to lubricate them before screwing them into the guitar.
    I’m sure you’ll get more advice here. This is the best forum on the internet!

Knellsky likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, good idea.

I also often pre-drill the hole with a Dremel to the core diameter of the screw.

A+!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    new6659 and Knellsky like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I dunno about you guys, but those end Bigsby screws really suck. I have to use my best screwdriver and keep even pressure at all times to not strip the Phillips head. I predrill and use beeswax too.

OP, you might be pushing against the Bigsby frame if that screw wasn’t centered well. Are you tightening the screw under string tension?

Knellsky likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sounds like stiction between the screw and wood. The wood is 'grabbing' the threads, a little wax for lube would solve that.
    Yeah, you don't have to use an impact driver and loctite for these things, snug is good enough... take it from someone who has over done the Mongo treatment too many times.

DennisC and Knellsky like this.
  9. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Been there, not with guitars.

What you must do now is take that screw back out and see if it unscrews normally or just a broken part of it comes out. If it comes our normally breath a sigh of relief and reinstall it using something like bar soap but just snug it gently. If only part of it comes out it is not the end of the world but you have a bit of a project on your hands, but it is very fixable.

There is one other option, you stripped out the hole. Again, a bit of project but very fixable and this I have done on guitars.

Good luck

Knellsky likes this.
  10. Knellsky

Knellsky Newbie

Feb 20, 2019
    Sweden
    Yes
    Under string tension

11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ve only tightened bigsbys to guitars with slack strings, with just the two E’s to get it lined up. Makes screwing straight a lot easier on you.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd slacken the strings almost all the way as a precaution. You might find the noise disappears, and you'll also lessen the chance of damaging the screw.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True ! I never use these junk screws and take good quality, well machined ones...

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice