Bigsby Arm With More Swing

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Gretschtim1, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I have a left handed 1959 Country Gent reissue. I would like the arm to swing over the strings more - it stops too soon for my taste. On my 5420 I had my tech cut away the notch that stops the bar from moving and it worked just like I wanted it too.
    The problem is that the Gent has gold hardware and my tech said that he didn't want to cut the Gent bar down because he feels it would cause the gold to peel away. I understand so I didn't force him to do it. Anyone have any suggestions on another left handed arm in gold finish that would allow more upward movement?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    You might try placing a couple of flat washers between the two moving pieces to clear the heighth of the stop bumb. Worth a try even if only a temporary fix and wouldn't harm the finish. Just a thought! Might work!

3. Sonny Strimple

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Just tried it out and actually doesn't look too bad from the top or side angles. You could also use brass or gold painted washers. Hop this helps!

emitex, Henry, Floo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Unless your Bigsby is a vintage specimen or you only look at your guitars, I wouldn’t be particularly worried. The bracket is easily replaced.

That said, Sonny’s solution is worth a try. I think it’s bloody genius!

Sonny Strimple likes this.
  5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    That sounds like a good idea. Just choose washers with small holes to avoid backlash.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’ve used these with the flat bar and it works fine. They come in gold, and yeah, consider just going with a Chet arm since you’re more than half way there after getting the bracket :)

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/bracket-bigsby-chet-atkins-2-pieces

EDIT: Oh, left hand? Well in that case I need to wake up a little more before hitting 'reply' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Thank You Sonny - I will try that this weekend
    Yeah If it were a right handed guitar I would feel the same way. But left-handed gold Bigsby arms are not a common item to find. So I will be trying Sonny's suggestion.

8. Sonny Strimple

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Just wondered if you tried it out and did it work for you Tim ?

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It works but I'm looking for some brass washers with the right hole size. I don't like the silver ones that I tried just because of the way they look. Thanks for the suggestion and solution - saved me a lot of time and money.

emitex and Sonny Strimple like this.
  10. Sonny Strimple

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I'll look around to see if I can come up with brass washers, maybe even a plumbing type or a hole saw cutout of brass. I'm sure someone will have something like that to fit it.
    Not cutting on the gold pllating of the Bigsby makes a big difference.
    Again, glad it worked!

emitex likes this.
  11. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Sonny, I have a few white nylon spring-raising space washers that came with the Bigsby's. Do you think two of those together would work? I easily sawed off the nub from my 5420's licensed one, and love the free swing, but would rather have a reversible method like this for my B-6 V that's on my Tenny. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing..."

13. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Be sure you buy left handed washers. My first Christmas my 1st wife gave me a metric hammer and spanner wrench. WELL GONE!!

Henry, Sonny Strimple and Ricochet like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Might be an idea to combine with the metal washer to turn down any "squeek".

Sonny Strimple and emitex like this.
  15. Sonny Strimple

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    I think you could use a solid material, and even plastic without any problem. I'm gonna look thru my toolboxes to see if I have the correct size hole saw, the center (pilot) hole could then be sized with a drill bit to the proper size. Would be nice to find a gold piece (not real gold though) to drill out in the correct thickness.

16. Sonny Strimple

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Anything like that that would be thick enough would be worth a try. Kind of a trial and error fit thing, if it's thick enough to clear the nub it should work. There's also a red colored fiber washer on the one with my 5420. I think they put it ther for smooth operation between the two metal pieces.

emitex likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's easy with washers - you just flip them over....:D

Ricochet and Sonny Strimple like this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Genius! I'm stealing this idea.

19. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Sorry, I didn't get to this before you took action. The suggestion I would make is to replace the arm with a Chet arm. It has no stop so you can go 360 degrees.

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Left-handed gold Chet arm - do they make one?