Best wood for a custom amp cabinet?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by dan P, Dec 19, 2008.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I had $12 of extra unused 3/4" solid pine and about 5 hours to kill... throw in 2 unused t-shirts for the grill cloth material and you have some 1x12" ghetto boxes. $6 each (not including speakers of course) aint bad :)

[​IMG]

No handles or hardware? No problem.

[​IMG]

The jack plates are bell ends from dead transformers... I'm such a dumbass I'm always killing transformers in amp builds HAHA

[​IMG]

2. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    you sure cant beat that price....! Nice job Johnny !

3. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Those look great but...how big were those t-shirts and what gorilla did you steal them from?

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Medium sized Tees... they look huge stretched over those Rock and Roll death rays though :)

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    They look like they could fit GreatGretsch!:)

6. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Take a look at some of the amp heads and speakers on Alessandro's web site:
    http://www.alessandro-products.com/amps.html

They use a lot of curly maple and some oak and others.

The suggestion above to check a local Woodcraft store is a good one. They have a lot of beautiful woods available.

You might want to consider cherry or walnut -- both have beautiful grain and are excellent hardwoods. Walnut species are darker than cherry.

7. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Hard, heavy timbers generally make the best sounding cabinets. The pine used for the old Fenders fit that bill nicely, but today's farm-grown pine is far too lightweight. Now, if you can find some old barn timbers to reclaim you would be onto something. Cherry, oak, maple, and walnut would all work nicely and all are American species that can be obtained in nearly any good lumber mill.
    I tend to use exotics more than American species, although I did build a black walnut V-front. Bloodwood, canarywood, Brazilian cherry, cocobolo, bubinga, padauk, etc... all work well. Mahogany would work fine provided it was the right kind of mahogany. Cuban mahogany would be best, but is practically extinct. Honduran mahogany would be second best, but is getting very scarce as well and will soon be added to the CITES list if it hasn't already. African mahogany and some of it's poorer cousins are more plentiful, but do not weigh enough and wouldn't be much better than pine from Lowe's. The stuff called Philippine mahogany is not even technically mahogany at all and should not be considered.
    One other consideration when selecting the species of timber to be used is the toxicity of the wood. Some of the timbers I've mentioned must be handled with care and special precautions should be taken when creating dust in the machining and sanding operations. Of course, this is only a concern to the person actually making the cabinet and is not an issue to the end user.
    To see cabinets in various timber varieties, one can look at my photo album.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You can even have a solid gold chassis for an extra $50,000!

9. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    How would Purpleheart
    work ??? From my experience,,,
    it's a hard,,, heavy wood...

============================

<><> Raspy <><>

10. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I think purpleheart (Peltogyne spp. of the Family Leguminosae) would make for a good tone wood. At approximately 60 pounds per cubic foot, it is certainly heavy enough. I do not envy anyone who tries to make an entire cabinet out of it though. It is very hard, almost like concrete. Sharp tools must be used and they will blunt very quickly. Sanding it will be a chore as well. I keep some purpleheart around at all times for accents and even have a half-finished jewelry box in my shop right now that is primarily made from it. Any freshly machined surfaces of purpleheart will be a dull brown, but a couple of days exposure to sunlight will bring back the brilliant purple color.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice