Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Best small amp for 6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gretsch6120ga, Oct 19, 2017.

1. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    The low end (and a bunch else) is tweakable. I've been using one in a small space lately and find it perfect.

[​IMG]

MKunie likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I corrected my typo - too much power, not lower.
    I play in a small space but even my 5w rattles the house. I may play in a bedroom, but not at bedroom levels.

3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Can usually be found for free to about 30 bux! Screenshot_2017-10-22-16-45-27-1.png

j.s.c and MKunie like this.
  4. fatfingers

fatfingers Electromatic

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    just wondering how the 6120 is working for you as a Les Paul replacement guitar. I've got an'07 Les Paul Classic and a '93 Studio. I'd sell one or the other but have been thinking which of the higher end Gretsch single cuts is comparable. thanks.

5. Gretsch6120ga

Gretsch6120ga Electromatic

Oct 19, 2017
    Europe
    I would say that the 6120 does not replace the Les Paul 100%. The 6120 and the Les Paul are two different Worlds and I have found out that I need more than the 6120 to satisfy my needs. The 6120 is definitely a keeper and I love playing it every day. The combination of 6120 and Les Paul will definately be the perfect setup for me.

Regarding the amp, I have tried a ton of different amps lately. I ended up buying a MESA Rectoverb 25. It is perfect for me – nice sound quality, very good at relative low volume and I can get the tones that I was searching for. I think that is one of the most versatile amps on the market and I can dial a very clean tone but I can also switch to ACDC-tones without using any pedals. I had to go over budget to get this one but I am glad that I did. I will definately recommend the Rectoverb to anyone that is searching for a versatile amp that can handle a wide diversity of tones.

Attached Files:

collama, Bertotti and Henry like this.
  6. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    Bassman 59' RI

MKunie and Tony65x55 like this.
  7. Serenity

Serenity Electromatic

Jun 8, 2016
    UK
    Laney L5T Lionheart. Nice Vox-ish clean channel and Plexi-ish dirt channel. Sounds really good at home volumes, but can get very loud for a 5 watter if needed. Nice build quality. This was my home amp for a couple of years, and i play similar stuff to you. Worked really well with my G5420T.
    I hear these are being blown out at bargain prices in the USA at the moment.

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    All of this make me think of supro... orange too
    With a 6120 and the mud switch engaged down.... rhaaa a yes, lovely !

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In the end is there really a best amp? I have been using my Peavey Triple xxx super forty and half stack. At all volumes and levels of gain from sparkling clean to the heaviest rectifier grind it has really done the BJP proud. I am sure once I start to dig into the Vox Nighttrain and JSX mini colossal it will still shine. Perhaps some amps are easier to dial in but so far I like all the ones I have with my Gretsch just needed to be dialed in a bit differently then I do with my strats.

10. Serenity

Serenity Electromatic

Jun 8, 2016
    UK
    Going to need an attenuator for low volumes, or pedals. Even the 5 watters are very loud by the time you get them into the sweet spot. Just sold my Laney to help funds for a Supro Supreme.

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I love the way this gentleman thinks!

MKunie and T Bone like this.
  12. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    I have one and is the only amp i use, all others are stored.
    Bassman's ROCKS!

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Yes, yes, they do. They make a great bedroom amp.

MKunie, T Bone and Javier668 like this.
  14. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

For those still answering, I do see a few posts up, the OP did seem to get what he was after in a Mesa Rectoverb 25. Glad he found what works for him!

I have not, but I do have AC 4 TVs that attenuate to .25w (8 inch and 10 inch) and .10w (6.5 inch Mini). They are surprsingly vociferous even at the low setting (had the Mini in a hotel a couple months back, and kept the volume mid level even on the lowest attenuation setting). Cool amps.

Love my '59 Baseman Reissue. I'm remiss to say it's been stored in the basement for quite some time. Need to remedy that this week!

15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sweet sweet amp. Not just versatile in an ok way, too, it has lots of great sounds. Have fun.

16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Go love that beauty. Play her loud, she likes that.

T Bone likes this.
  17. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I have the new Supro Supreme, or did you mean an old model? The new one is great and can easily keep up with a drummer in a bar gig at a loud volume

Serenity likes this.
  18. Tracy74

Tracy74 Electromatic

Nov 11, 2017
    Herrin
    Ok, as a dealer I have some options that I can get you,but you will need to go watch some videos on. To warn you...going down this rabbit hole may open your eyes and wreck you! ;-)

Blackstar-Others mentioned
    Quilter- microblock and the reverb 101
    http://www.quilterlabs.com/

Khan Audio- way cool head!
    http://www.khanaudio.com/

Devil Cat- This one is a life changer!
    Seriously.
    http://www.devilcatamps.com/

I can get you all of these options. As a dealer, I have spent about 7 months researching amps. These options are unique and most of them are made in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    thunder58 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    +1 on Blackstar

Tracy74 likes this.
  20. Serenity

Serenity Electromatic

Jun 8, 2016
    UK
    I was talking about the new ones. I figured it would be plenty loud enough to gig with when i tried it, but it's good to have conformation from someone who's played it with a drummer, thanks. All the new Supros i've tried have been very loud for their wattage. Think i'm going to get the extension cab too. I'll get an SPL Reducer so i can run it quieter at home.
    Certainly going to be a lot easier to move around than my old 2203 and 4x12.