Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Best small amp for 6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gretsch6120ga, Oct 19, 2017.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Whoa, slow down. Have you given enough thought to what amp your guitar will look coolest leaning up against? I mean, that's a major consideration, right?

2. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    The problem is, if you need a good overdriven sound at bedroom level, you need to buy an amp with Gain knob. Volume and Master Volume, to me, are not enough, especially if you're after a Foo Fighters - like sound. I never played one of them, but I'll try with a Blackstar or a Brugera 15w. You may be able to crank the preamp and still have a decent tone with low volumes. Or maybe one of those new 5w Classic Marshall.
    Althought with a budget of 1000 quids, I'd buy a 25w and a good overdrive pedal. It may not have the perfect tone if played at beedroom level volumes, but it will be a better choice in every other situation.

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    They make an AC30CH (Custom Head), which has a rotary switch that controls the Vox Reactive Attenuator circuit. This reduces the output power in three steps: from 30 watts to 15 to one third of a watt.

untitled.jpg

The AC15CH has settings at 15, 1.5, and 0.15 watts.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Again and again this one:

11E9654E-1213-43E7-8B9E-0C495C462CFC.jpeg

(2nd hand with your budget. You won‘t get anything better, my 2cts).

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. jmg257

jmg257 Electromatic

Jun 13, 2010
    CA
    Has anyone tried this at .15 watts? Just curious how loud is that?

T Bone likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Zacky, I have an AC30CCH head that sounds sweet. I was actually thinking of a AC10 with a larger power section. Small light portable.

8. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2017-10-21-06-18-11-1.png How about a Marshall??? A DSL 40 should do it, seriously Gretsch and Marshall make an awesome sound together.
    It ain't exactly small though but it do sound good at low vol.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Tony I really don't understand this talk about Fender & Vox amps.
    Fender does not do distortion - full stop.
    The only Fender amp I've heard that even attempts light distortion is the Supersonic and almost everyone agrees they do it very poorly.
    Fenders are great clean amps with a touch of very light overdrive if you crank em to gig volume levels.

Ditto the Vox AC amps. Good clean amps - one trick ponies.
    You say they do "grunge" unassisted - what do you call grunge?
    Certainly not Pearl Jam or Nirvana tones or anywhere close.
    A Vox AC won't get you anywhere close to G & R either.

All I'm saying is the OP says he does not want another one trick pony clean amp - so why are guys recommending Fenders & Vox ?

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok Gretchy you at least seem to have an open mind here :)
    Geez I've recommended like 10-15 non Fender & Vox amps many times here in other threads.
    All of em sound better, are lighter, more versatile than anything Vox or Fender make imo.

I'll have to search for those posts for the specific amps and PM you but the brand names are ...
    Peavey, Blackstar, Mesa (many), Marshall, Egnater and others :)

Henry likes this.
  11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I think I said the same things as you. Fenders won't do what he wants without pedals and a pile of volume. The OP said he was considering a Vox AC4 and an AC10. I don't know if you have played an AC10 but you can get it pretty dirty with the master volume.

I think many might disagree that Vox are clean amps. I don't think Vox does uber-clean worth spit.

Nonetheless, what our friend wants, good cleans, decent drive and low volumes - are pretty hard to find anywhere. Within the budget limitations and the performance goals, there are not a ton of choices. Nonetheless, we're all doing our best to help him.

What do you recommend that can fit that menu?

PS: The reason he gets so many recommendations for Vox and Fender is because a significant number of people on this forum think their Gretsch guitars sound good through them. I'd be pleased to recommend a Traynor to him but they don't make on that fits his desires.

Joe90 likes this.
  12. jmg257

jmg257 Electromatic

Jun 13, 2010
    CA
  13. blueridgeguy

blueridgeguy Gretschie

Jul 12, 2015
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    You should buy this. It will sound awesome.

IMG_6551.PNG

j.s.c likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    @Gretsch6120ga

Incidentally, based on your username, is this your guitar?

untitled.jpg

15. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
  16. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    +1 for the Vox AC 10. I tried one out at the local guitar store, they sound great. If I didn't have more amps than I need I would have bought one. My buddy that was with me couldn't resist and bought one. The owner keeps one there for guitar demos. He jokingly said it is his secret weapon to sell guitars. Because everything sounds really good through it.

17. Gretsch6120ga

Gretsch6120ga Electromatic

Oct 19, 2017
    Europe
    ZackyDog likes this.
  18. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

19. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    If you can stretch your budget a bit and don't mind buying used, the Mesa Lone Star Special will fit your requirements to a T. Rugged, robust and soooo versatile. Best cleans I've ever played. Has reverb, an effects loop, and a footswitch for channel switching and solo boost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  20. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The LSS is the amp that got me looking hard at Mesa, but it was too much power and weight IMO for a bedroom or even office/music/guest room amp. But lord the one I tried was glorious.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017