Best room reverb on a budget?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by stiv, Jul 4, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I'm looking for something that could recreate the effect of playing in a huge empty room that wouldn't force me to sell some other stuff to finance it.
    I'm not really intersted if the unit has any other sound like spring or tube reverb, just simple room reverb.
    Just for stomp box purposes, I usually record an old drum machine that way in a real empty room (an empty storage near my house it's owned by a friend and he let me use it :)) but I'd like to take that effect with me on the road (along with the drum machine).
    Any ideas?
    Thanks fellas.

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a Boss RV 3 for a while and liked it, don't remember it being very costly.

stiv likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My old EHX Holy Grail Plus had a really good room setting.

Waxhead, kjmac and stiv like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That would be interesting.
    Me on stage, drum machine and amp in the bathroom.
    I even played in some place in north Holland that could even be duable. :D

wildeman likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Check out the Keeley Abbey Chamber:

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Definitely Keeley if you can afford it.

Merc likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    They are not that expensive. I bought mine as a demo model from Prymaxe Vintage.

Merc likes this.
  9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Really nice. Let me see if I could find it over here.
    Thanks man!

audept likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    EHX Holy Grail Nano

stiv and T Bone like this.
  11. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I've seen EHX Holy Grail and HG Nanos used for well under $100.00, like &69 - $79. That would get you a great room reverb sound that is 100% American made at a very reasonable price.

Robbie and stiv like this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not sure how picky you are, but I use a Kokko Space on the flying monkey board.

It’s small and cheap, on the wet side of things, but it’s really not worse than some amp reverbs. Did I say cheap?

stiv likes this.
  13. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I’m really happy with my Hall Of Fame Mini. You can pick a new one up for about $75 - $85

14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    That's a nice one, cheap and small. Probably the best bang for the buck. Just a question: how it works the "different type of reverbs" that is advertised with as I only see a knob, an on/off switch and a micro-sd slot? :)

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've an Alesis Nanoverb, a 1/3 rack space unit that covers any type of reverb I could ever want from spring to plate to room, all with variable parameters. There's a decent reverb built into my PA mixer. Otherwise, the spring unit built into my amp does fine.

In our theater, we had two huge reverb rooms, the largest was wedge shaped room with three Altec Voice of the Theater cabs and three mike channels. The walls had adjustable curtains, and the speakers and mikes were all movable. Plenty of adjustment. The original reverb in the theater was 200 feet of Sonotube (15" diameter heavy cardboard tube used for concrete footings. Speaker in one end, and holes for mikes every ten feet down it's length. From the back of the stage to the back of the house (or FOH, if you will) was over 300 feet. We've used that space, with it's 6K seats, as well. I've recorded in very large, empty rooms, and one of the more interesting setups was an extremely long tiled hallway running between buildings.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    stiv likes this.
  16. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    You choose reverb types via the TonePrint app. You hold your phone near your pickup and in about 3 seconds you’re done. I only use the spring reverb that sounds closest to my Deluxe Reverb amp but there are many to choose from. You can also tweak or design your own.

If you need tweak a lot or use multiple reverbs during a show, this is not the reverb for you. If you want a great sounding reverb in a small package, this may be your ticket.

stiv likes this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks for sharing.
    I've never been too much into real room reverbs as I've tried many analog stuff in the studio (mostly 70s hi-fi units, that works surprisingly well) or even 60's BBC units that sounds pretty amazing, I just started to fiddle with mics and empty rooms trying to find a sound for what I needed.
    Nanoverb may be a nice solution as well, as I don't strictly need a guitar pedal to do the job since it's a drum machine that I'd like to add reverberation... It may be even a cheap solution. Thanks for the hint.

18. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Ok. Well, it may be definitely worth a try. I just need something that could stay on all the time, so it may work for me.
    Thanks!

19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Joyo Space Verb.

Under $50 new.

20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Keeley makes good Reverbs. I wonder sometimes what the guitar market is like in Europe for things. There’s a plethora available in the states. Do you guys have a big retailer to order from (and what is it) or is it mainly mom and pop music shops?

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice